You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default what broadhead do you recommend?

Hey there group, i am looking for some 100 grain broadheads for deer hunting and i wondered what you all recommend. I am really leaning toward fixed blade. What difference is there in 3 or 4 blade broadheads? I like the broadheads that are sharpened on the back as well so they cut if pulled out as well. Anything else i should be aware of when selecting a broadhead?Thanks!

you get more cutting area out of a 4 blade compared to 3 blade relative to diameter. I like Wasp, but probably the most popular are Muzzy, Slick Trick and the G5's

i am currently using thunderheads with no complaints at all

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

So far so good with Muzzy's, they fly well for me.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

nevada hunter

I use the shuttle t lock broad heads, you can resharpen them and the hit like a truck. bone, fat, thick skin are no match. this head will smash through any animal and they are easy to tune for. they only shoot 3inchs below my field point and hit exact every time. I have several split arrow to prove it. and several with cut vanes due to close shots.

Muzzy, 4 blad for me.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

I like my slick tricks!
    Hook 'Em Horns

I reccomend trying them all and deciding on what fits YOU the best.

I prefer Grim Reapers, 100 grain expandable, razor tips.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

G5s and Thunderheads are what I have used and they work well and goup well as long as the bow is tuned

I used to use thunderheads and they worked great. I switched to Atom razor wire broadheads because I don't have to re-tune my bow to hunt. The Atom is the only one I know of that guarentees exact same impact point as target tips or your money back.

I have always used a Muzzy 100g 3-Blade. I am thinking about experimenting with a mechanical at some point in the near future.

It seems to me, im my 100% uneducated experience in the mechanical broadhead world, that you might be able to get a longer and more accurate shot off with one of the mechanical tips.

Maybe?

I hunted with the Muzzy 3 blade for a while and it is a great fixed blade head. I missed a big buck once and blamed it on wind plaining so switched to rocket expandables. I really love the rocket sidewinder. In all honesty the miss was probably not the muzzy's fault but I'm a don't mess with success guy so sidewinder it is.
    ORIGINAL SWITCHBACK

"The lover of nature is he whose inward and outward senses are truly adjusted to each other; who has retained the spirit of infancy even into the era of manhood" - Emerson

Default Phathead

Take a look at the Steelforce Phatheads...I'm gonna be shooting them this year, very nice broadheads and the thickest main blade on the market at .080 thick and they have a lifetime warranty.
    John's Customs ProStaff "custom strings & tune jobs"
    MossyOak Pro Staff

I've never been able to tune muzzys with my field tips. Last year I destroyed my buck with a tightpoint, didn't get a pass through and he fell over dead on my arrow and bent my nock which made me really mad cause a pass thru wouldn't have bent my knock. I've always wanted to try mechanicals cause of the long range accuracy cause this year, I ain't shooting anything under 40 yards....unless its a turkey....
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

NAP....SPITFIRES!!!!!!!!
    HoYt TRYKON.........Enough said!!!!!!!

Referral Link for Hoyt1986 http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8025

What is your set-up??? I like WASP Jak-Hammers because they've treated me well, I've also become attached to Eastman Outfitters 100gr Titanium Sabre's as they are cheap and shoot well for me. Pretty similar to a Muzzy for all intensive purposes. But if you're going to tell me you are shooting 42# with 30ft/# of KE, I'm going to recommend a 2 blade cut-on-contact BH. If you've got 80ft/#'s of KE, then I'm telling you to try a RAGE 3 blade.....set-up determines recommendation. Just my $.02 though. You can feasibly shoot an Expandable with low KE, but it you're off your mark, you may leave that deer with an antenna sticking out of it!!!!
    ~~Doug~~
    Hoyt Trykon XL 70#'s & Alphamax35 29" 60#'s
    Cabela's Carbon Stalker Extreme 65/80's (MADE IN USA!!!)
    TT Pronghorns

Rocket steelheads for 100 gr. mini blasters for 75 gr.

Fixed;
    I've killed a lot of deer with the 100gr Thunderhead....no complaints.
    I tried the G5 Striker 100gr this year and will be using them again as well as trying the G5 Montec 100gr. So far I have shot the Striker at one game animal and recovered it.......no complaints.

Mechanical;
    I'm shooting Spitfire 100gr for turkeys this Spring. I've killed 4 turkeys and close to 20 deer with the Spitfires without a single failure.......no complaints.
    In fact, my average distance to recovery on deer shot with Spitfires is under 30 yards.
    Crackerized '09 Rytera Alien-X, Easton ACC 3-49's, Sword Twilight Hunter, NAP Hellrazer 100gr
    Martin/Rytera Archery Pro Staff;Sword Acu-Site Shooting Staff
    Mossy Oak Pro Staff; Paradigm Archery Staff; Vapor Trail Pro Staff

Thumbs up

I use g5 montec 100 grain for deer and 125 grain for bear. No complaints, they give great blood trails and I found 2 broken ribs and fractured shoulder on a bruiser of a bear that I harvested last year in northern BC

Muzzy is all I have used for years. They tune great bust bones and leave great blood trails. But I am thinking of testing something different and see what happens.

"HONDA"