You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Paper tuning

Default Paper tuning

So I went to the local archery shop in Corrales NM today and I shot my bow through paper. I am definitely fletching north.

I would assume that would mean a simple "up" adjustment on my arrow rest. The tech there told me what to do but I had a lot of stuff on my mind so I forget exactly what he said.

One thing I did notice was the difference between the passage of my old 2 degree offset arrow and the new arrows I had made with straight fletching. The straight fletching was up and to the right while the 2 degree offset arrow was just straight up.

I do remember him saying that it was probably from the string stretching and the knock area moving north on me.

Does this sound about right?

Without seeing the bow or checking myself I'd say that he could just be right. Try moving the nocking point down or the rest up. Forget the little bit of right tear for now. Work on the vertical first. The work on the horizontal.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I know what was the cause of that horizontal movement; it was the arrows that were straight fletched.

I have always shot 2 degrees of offset out of my shoot through style rest. So I imagined it was the straight vane vane hitting the rest on the way out maybe?

Maybe if I just play around with knock settings I can cure that one...

I searched the web for compound bow tuning. I had to screen through a bunch of stuff, but I found several paper tune charts that gave me drawings of paper tears and tuning suggestions. I also bought a book by Larry Wise on "tuning your compound bow". There is a lot more to tuning a bow than shooting through paper. Some basic tools are helpful, such as a bow square, and I figured that out as I read and practiced tuning my bow. It only took a few weeks for me to get the basic skills and tools to get my bow tuned pretty well on my own. There are also several ways of making home made paper tune setups I found in my searching, also. It doesn't have to be super expensive, but it does take time, effort and plain stubborness. Each bow is a little different, and it takes asking questions and "doing it" to figure this out. If you don't have the patience to learn it yourself, I suggest paying the archery guy to make the adjustments as you shoot the bow. As you watch him, you may decide if you wan't to try it at home. Also , Winners Choice string are expensive, but they don't stretch. Good luck.

I am going to use a band aid fix for now. This guy is going to make me a custom string next week I think. I will look into those strings you mentioned though.

I was going to shoot some today but since about 7 this morning we have gotten about 4 inches of snow where I live in N. NM. Plus I am smoking a Brisket today so that is taking up a lot of my time.

I had to make a makeshift tin lean to over my smoker to keep the temp from dropping out...

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

paper tuning will get you "in tha ballpark" and next a method caslled walk back tuning will get it right.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Can you explain "Walk Back" tuning in a little more detail?

Disregard that last question. I understand what that is. I never heard it referred to as walk back tuning.

I just called it setting up my sights...

Quote Originally Posted by vmabuck View Post
    Disregard that last question. I understand what that is. I never heard it referred to as walk back tuning.

I just called it setting up my sights...
    You only use one pin when walk back tuning though.

"HONDA"

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

set your 20 pin
    then shoot it at 15 20 25 30 walking back shooting at the same spot
    shoot your best form
    which ever side of the center of the spot they fall on move your rest toward that side of the spots center.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Roger that.

I will try that tomorrow.