You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: shaft selection

near the Canadian border, Puget Sound, Washington

Default shaft selection

I have returned to the sport after a twenty year "break" and found numerous changes - mostly great. One of the biggest things to change has been the wide conversion to carbon/graphite arrow shafts.

My new rig is the 2007 Bear Truth, 60 lbs, 29 inch draw, 100 grain points on the Easton Epic Black, 400 spine. I am using a string loop with the Tru-Fire 360 Elite release, Apex Nitrus 7 pin sight and B-Stinger stabilizer.

The set up is so accurate, I have destroyed three of my new arrows and now limit myself to 3 shots per target at 20 yards.

My first compond bow (yes Suzie, we had electricity back then) split many of the old Easton Gamegetter. When I upgraded to the XX75, nocks would split but the shaft would remain intact. I see Easton has the X 7 Cobalt in the new XX 78 alloy. They are a little heavier than the carbon Epic (2413) but I'm thinking the durability benifits will far out weigh the speed concerns. The Epics seem delicate.

Of course, should the oppertunity arise, I would like to use the Cobalts for hunting.

Does anyone see problems with my reasoning? My local "Pro" says the alloy shfts will loose their spine while practicing at the butts and I will be unable to make the alloy shafts fly properly with a broadhead. That frankly sounds like horse hocky to me.

Thanks for the input.
    K

aluminums arrows will tweek out you can watch your groups open up and you will be then break out 3 new arrow and your back to grouping again then it starts all over again that why I shoot carbons

Aluminums will shoot just fine IMHO. I use both aluminums and carbons. The only drawback to aluminum, if there is any, is they can get bent. X7 and cobalts are used mainly for target and therefor lighter (thinner walled)and may bend easier than XX75's. XX75's and 78's are still as good a hunting arrow as ever. Of course they weigh more than most carbons, so trajectory is to be considered, but they are just as accurate as carbons for us humans.
    FBSA Member

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

My only problem with them is the weight like red said.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Aluminums will shoot just fine IMHO. I use both aluminums and carbons. The only drawback to aluminum, if there is any, is they can get bent. X7 and cobalts are used mainly for target and therefor lighter (thinner walled)and may bend easier than XX75's. XX75's and 78's are still as good a hunting arrow as ever. Of course they weigh more than most carbons, so trajectory is to be considered, but they are just as accurate as carbons for us humans.
    I agree...............

By the way Konrad to the forum. Keep on postin we need more discussions.

"HONDA"

I was in the same situation a couple of years ago. I decided to get a few carbons while I was at Gander Mt. That had me hooked. I hit the compression board on the target and the arrow shattered, the hit surely would have tweaked an aluminum arrow. Being shattered I couldn't use it anymore so my accuracy continued to improve with each shot. I have broken a few more but the piece of mind that the arrows are straight and if I miss it's me not the arrow. I would try the victory arrows from Danimal he gives a pretty good deal.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I just got my victory's from Justin. They really are speedy.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus