You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Turkey hunting questions

Well, I'm kinda new to turkey hunting. Went out today with my blind and bow. Had someone calling for me that has been pretty successfull killing them with a gun.

today we saw a few. Heard some gobbles, etc.

To start with we had a Primos B-mobile in full strut and a primos she mobile hen out.

No response from any of the turkeys that saw the spread. So we put out two more hens and a jake.

Saw a tom come out into the field. Did some calling he looked but just keep feeding along and never ever came in.

We saw one half hearted strut by a tom but that was it.

Any thoughts? Is this like the rut, you just don't know if a bird is ready?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

You've just experienced 99% of the your future turkey hunting experiences.. Curse those nervous jittery creatures. They are very hard to figure out sometimes. I've had turkeys hang up at teeny tiny dry bed creeks and refuse to cross. Just sit and gobble their heads off. Crazy animals. I bet you enjoyed the heck out of yourself anyway didn't ya????

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Well, I'm kinda new to turkey hunting. Went out today with my blind and bow. Had someone calling for me that has been pretty successfull killing them with a gun.

today we saw a few. Heard some gobbles, etc.

To start with we had a Primos B-mobile in full strut and a primos she mobile hen out.

No response from any of the turkeys that saw the spread. So we put out two more hens and a jake.

Saw a tom come out into the field. Did some calling he looked but just keep feeding along and never ever came in.

We saw one half hearted strut by a tom but that was it.

Any thoughts? Is this like the rut, you just don't know if a bird is ready?
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Chris,

I don't know what to tell ya bud. Many different decoy sets will work, seems the most successful one I've heard about is 2 hens and a jack, with the jack paired up with one of the hens.

Sometimes, they can get decoy shy, sometimes call shy so you might be better off not even using decoys. Call as little as possible I say but don't let the bird loose interest because once they come in and uncommit, its very hard to get them to recommit, But usually if they see decoys, they will at least come in for a closer look, maybe not within range, but they will check them out.

Have you been woosting these birds at night and staging the highjack at a flydown point or are you blowing a crow call at first light to locate them?
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

I've heard of the B-Mobile scaring smaller birds away...

I just use a jake and a hen...
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Just keep trying. For the past two years me and my friends have watched a flock of twenty birds for at least 3 hours a day just over the fence on the neighbors property. We have tried everything and they won't come our way. Tomorrow I am just going to hang tight the first couple of hours, not do any calling and see which direction they go. After they split off I am going to try and cut them off and attempt to call them in. I have more success late morning after the birds seperate from the flock.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I like to hear turkeys gobbling down in hollers.

i dont think turkeys in n.c.ohio are ready yet...hunted 3 days ,saw a few jakes ,few gobbles, just arnt intersted yet...another week or two & the heat will be on...i hope...........had a jake walk past my set like who the hell put you there...

I'm with JCM on this one...them birds can be fickle sometimes
    All you can do is play with your setup alittle until you find that magic combination...
    Quote Originally Posted by jcmorgan31 View Post
    You've just experienced 99% of the your future turkey hunting experiences.. Curse those nervous jittery creatures. They are very hard to figure out sometimes. I've had turkeys hang up at teeny tiny dry bed creeks and refuse to cross. Just sit and gobble their heads off. Crazy animals. I bet you enjoyed the heck out of yourself anyway didn't ya????

Default ha

The hens here are not on the nest yet
    there still ganged up...ya got to wait it out a week or too if its been cold where you are.
    if you can hunt all day in your state like here mid-day is better right now if its still cool..like 50degrees the hens have to be on the nest.

If your new at turkey hunting and dont understand
    1: hens lay 1 egg a day like chickens in a nest where gobblers cant find it
    If he does he will bust it up....why ..he wants to mate all the time.
    2:after laying about 12-24 eggs she will go to setting and will leave the gobbler..he cant mate so he gets blood in his head and walks around the woods yelling
    Thats an easy way to put it.
    Turkeys and chickens are the same..
    In a chicken yard the roster mates every day with a few hens and normaly
    we get the eggs in the morning so the hen never stops laying
    but if you leave them in the barn or what ever the hen will stop and set on them and the roster will go crazy....thats the same thing that happens in the woods..
    O and on calling and set-up...hen and jake no big fanned out bird right now maybe later..when there really going crazy
    Locate them with the --barred owl--in the dark and get under them..thats what i do..tree-yelp...purrr...on the limb to let them know your there...
    after there down..cackle and push-pin at the same time...thats what i do
    and i have called in alot of birds for alot of people...
    anything else just ask
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Well, we are going to try again tomorrow. I'll leave the b-moble at the truck and try just a jake.

Today was a total bust. Very windy this morning. Nothing heard, nothing seen

Well, I got another tag for season 4 which is in two weeks. Hopefully it gets better.

where you hunting Chris? Indiana?

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    where you hunting Chris? Indiana?
    Northern IL.

Yep, turkeys win again here in Northern Illinois. Saw 20 fly down then went the other way. Nothing after that today

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

I was out again tonight....no good either..watched a bunch of birds on the other side of the fence all night It cant get any worse..just keep on keeping on..Good Luck Chris
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

So they are a little like deer. They'll start strutting around when they are ready?

Default Hi Chris

So they are a little like deer. They'll start strutting around when they are ready?
    When The hens start leaveing the gobbler to set on the egg's longer and longer and leaveing him, he gets mad, and when he gets to mate, he starts drummin and fanning more than he is right now.
    Wait..........................
    And yes the turkey rut is not ON right yet.
    Wish you good luck...keep at it you'll get one
    Its huntin..It aint gonna be easy, you know that
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Today was a total bust. Very windy this morning. Nothing heard, nothing seen

Well, I got another tag for season 4 which is in two weeks. Hopefully it gets better.
    Windy days can be good. Turkeys will go out into the fields on windy days.

Get in a blind and set out a few decoys and sit back. Whats nice about it is, guys like me that arent good callers can just relax and let the decoys do the work for ya. As long as your blind isnt flapping or blowing away it can be enjoyable.

Best places on windy days are cow pastures that have real low grass. It increases their visibility and also the chance that they will see your decoys.

Good luck

you might want to reposition yourself to where the birds wanna go. Turkey hunting is at times alot like deer hunting. Being set up where the birds are going to go after the roost. A strut zone or a dusting area are great places to just "sit over" and make minor clucks and purrs every half hour. Remember no matter how much he gobbles, 99% of the time he will hang up if he doesnt feel comfortable with that area. I know its tuff with a blind to reposition often, but study what those birds are doing a figure out their pattern and make a move.

I just talked to a buddy. He woosted a bird Friday night for me, we sat up on him Saturday at first light, gobbled his head off on the woost and never seen him. The next morning, my other buddies go to the same place, here 7 gobblers, and take their two birds. What the

I hate turkeys!