You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default arrow flecthing question?

I have shot archery for some time, but never flecthed my own arrows, I want to start.. Is it as easy as clean, glue and put in the jig or is there a lot in to it.. can some one please help me out here. I'm going to buy a bitzenburg jig I think, What is the differece between the right and left hecial? On the flecthings or is it just preferance? Or is one better then the other? The pro shop where I get my arrows done now uses right, Just wondering witch one I should buy right or left.. Is there a video out htere that shows how to do flecthing thanks..
    Last edited by lungbuster; 04-02-2006 at 11:51 AM.
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

Default help...maybe

Yes, Fletching arrows is easy and pretty clean. I'm 17 and I do it so it isn't rocket science. I use a straight clamp, but I'm going to buy right helical clamps. I belive that helical right or left makes yourarrow spin more. That's just my opinion. Hope that helps.
    Hoyt CyberTec
    Copper John DeadNuts Pro 2
    Copper John Scardey Cat Pro DropAway
    GoldTip XT Hunter 5575 shafts
    2" Duravanes
    Vista Quiver

Default Fletching your own arrows

You can go whichever way, right, left or offset. I would go with no less than a 3 degree offset. The arrow doesn't rotate until a few feet past the bow so your fine either way. I use right fletch and a hard offset. Remember your form is the most important part of accuracy. That being said...have you tried Turbo Nocks, I use them as well.

Turbo's will spin at around 7200 rpm while feathers and vanes are around 500 or so. The Turbo's also give me 3 inches better penetration shot side by side with field points in the same 2 inches of the target at 20 yrds. There are different Turbo's available, so carefull in your selection. Like anything else, they have their advantages and disadvantages.
    Keith
    NBEF Instructor
    South Dakota - Iowa

Howdy, I have heard that right hand shooter use right helical and left hand shooters use left helical. I use right, as i am right handed. they are prett easy to fletch really, Im not sure about the turbo nocks, ive seen them but had no real need for them. and no one i know of around here uses them, proper arrow spine and tuning your bow will give plenty of penetration. I also have a trykon!! how do you like yours so far?

Default about trykon

I love my trykon, it shoots great, the only problem I have had is the string shox moves the top one that is. Question did u change the stings or leave the fuse ones on? I have read alot in different forums that people change the string.
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

i havent replaced them yet, pry have 2000+ shots on them, i like the string, havent had any peep turning problems, its always back to the same spot after every shot, i did do a little timming adjusting after the first pry 300 or so shots, pry wasnt needed, but im really anal about exact timming, ill take all day to get it where i want it. Looks like one of the cables might have a a few broke strands in it, it looks alittle thinner in a spot then the rest of the cable, but it didnt seem to change the length, might have always been that way though. it will have a full set of winners choice strings on it soon, im taking some time off from shooting, i hurt my elbow, and it dosent seem to want to get better as im shooting 3 times a week, i need it to get better before i get back to it, the bow is awsom though, well worth the$$.

Default Beginner Arrow Building ???

When I started ,I learned the old trial and error way. It can get as intricate as you want it to get, depending on your shooting needs. For general shooting and hunting it is quite simple. If you don't have someone to help you.
    One source would be to purchase PSE Archery's arrow building tape (Understanding Arrow Making). The tape makes it simple and informative for a new arrow builder to understand. There are others on the market but I kind of like to steer people to this one for it's ease of understanding. I believe the tape may cost $10 or $15.

Default thanks

I found the video and ordered it..
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

Default nuker

Just a note on the turbo nocks. I shot them for about a year. What I found, and this is just me, if my form was perfect they couldn't be beat. As I practice "weird " shots to simulate hunting, this was a problem. I put alot of shots in practice. Eventually, my right index finger drifted a little high. There's a reason to keep broadheads in front of the riser. Cut my finger to the bone, and broke it to boot. Yeah, it's my fault, same as the yearly raspberry I get on my left forearm, but it sure hurt worse than a raspberry. I was immediately back to vanes. Just a simple word of warning.

Quote Originally Posted by bullspotter
    Howdy, I have heard that right hand shooter use right helical and left hand shooters use left helical. I use right, as i am right handed.
    A long time ago, and I can't remember where I read this.. But there was something I read that said that a right handed shooter should use left helical and left handed shooter should use right. The reason being according to the writing was that the arrow should spin out away from the bow.. Can't remember what the particular advantages where with this line of thinking, it's been too long ago. With that being said, I did a search on Google about helical.. and one of the articles I found said it was basically an old wifes tale (right helical for right, left helical for left) and that it didn't matter which you used because as stated above the arrow will not start to spin until a few feet after it leaves the bow. They said the only thing of importance was fletching clearance.

So, what it all boils down to is.. Use what you want as long as there is no contact.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

The only reason that I have ever heard to use one over the other is that right helical vanes are supposed to spin the arrow in a direction that tightens the points. I use right helical and have not noticed this to be true. If the point is not tight to begin with, the spin of the arrow will not keep it on.

Use whatever is available in your area.

NE1C_my_arrow is right. The main thing that matters is clearance.

Default Right Helical/Left Helical ??

Well, Allen,
    I guess your answer falls under the heading of "Myth Busted".
    I've never seen a broadhead or point spin and keep tight because of a right helical either.

Quote Originally Posted by papa_r0n
    Well, Allen,
    I guess your answer falls under the heading of "Myth Busted".
    I've never seen a broadhead or point spin and keep tight because of a right helical either.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it until Elvis tells me differently.

Fletching your own arrows easy or hard? I fletch mine and a bunch of my buddys, there are not too many nights that go by that I am not fletching arrows while visiting 3-Dshoots.com
    I cut things up and split them down!