You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default WooooHooooo...Dead TURKEY pics inside

Sorry for the long post!
    Ok, so this is the 2nd trip to the lease this spring on the quest for a gobbler. Pink and I haven’t killed a turkey yet and this is the 3rd year of us trying. I wish I could say it was because of a lack of turkeys, but that isn’t the case at all. We have a ton of them! They are just never interested in what we have to offer . So this trip was turning out to be the same on Thursday and Friday morning…lots of gobbles and no birds coming anywhere near us . Well on Friday afternoon at 1ish I went to fill a feeder and of course in full strut was a big old Tom and he promptly ran off. I went back to hunt that spot in the evening and when I arrived, he was already there and unwilling to come my direction. So Saturday morning I decide to go and hunt that stand thinking he may be more interested in food that nookie, or at least the hens were probably coming there to eat. I got there REALLY early the next morning and set my decoy near the feeder. Couple hours went by and I didn’t hear a thing…then a hen came in from my right (was expecting the birds to come from my left) and she didn’t like the looks of my decoy at all and went strolling away sounding her turkey alarm. Keep in mind that I decided to stay quiet and not call at all this morning. About 10 minutes later I now have 5 deer in front of me eating and I peek to my right and there he was…now I just have to draw with none of these friggin deer OR the Tom seeing me. I drew back at just the right time…nobody saw me. Tom was 20 yds away and I sent my Bullhead flying at the turkey’s melon. Say butta…I MISSED. Over his head…now I am ready to :cry:. So he runs about 50 yds away and I load another arrow (this time a slick trick cause for some reason I thought I wouldn’t miss and only need one bullhead ) . Well the tricks shoot at a different spot than the bullheads do, so I have to compensate…trick shoots a little high and a little right. Got it. Sure enough big boy comes back and stops facing me at 18 yds….I friggin missed again (actually I brushed a leg and knocked off at least 4 feathers ). So I got down to look for him cause I just knew I got a good hit…until I looked at the arrow. So off into the brush I go to look…no sign of him or a speck of blood or a misplaced feather. So 20 minutes later I made my way back to the stand…once I cleared the trees I promptly scare off the 20 or so turkeys that are there eating . It is a little fuzzy now, but I may have shed a tear or two at this point. So now what to do…go back into the stand, or just head back to camp and start ****tail hour early (about 7:30 a.m. at this time). I caved and got back in my stand…luckily at least one of the hens didn’t know why she ran away and started yelping from the brush about 100 yds in front of me. Just then a group of 4 jakes come into view to my right heading for my decoy. I am plenty ticked by this time and now I want some blood..if I have to jump out of this tripod and bite a turkey’s head off, I will do it!! One of the Jakes starts to strut at the decoy and when he got to the spot where I MISSED the first turkey, I let the bullhead (which I went and picked up off the ground) fly at the base of his neck….YAHTZEE!!! My first bird with a bow…he wasn’t a giant, but I hunted a lot of hours and it finally paid off! And just so you know, Pink saw the bird I hit in the leg this morning at the same stand and she almost got a shot of him, but when she drew the deer busted her and started running so the Tom decided he needed to run a well. She took a shot at him at 45 yds and it zoomed just to the left of his head. To her defense, the wind was blowing…not Slippy style, it really was!
    Last edited by Hook Em; 01-13-2010 at 10:47 AM.
    Hook 'Em Horns

congrats, enjoy your turkey leg, I think that's all thats left.....

Nice job Hook! Congrats

Congrats on your first bird,good job....................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

Banned

What a great feeling to finally get that first one. Now they SHOULD come a little easier. What is that a Rio?

congratulations on the bird

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Congrats dude. Good things come to those who wait. Now you got to get Pink her bird.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    Congrats dude. Good things come to those who wait. Now you got to get Pink her bird.
    well she will have to wait until next year....the birds were not coming to calls at all for the last few weeks. Next year we are going to go on opening weekend!!
    Hook 'Em Horns

They sure are purdy down there...
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    What a great feeling to finally get that first one. Now they SHOULD come a little easier. What is that a Rio?
    yessir..that would be a Rio Grande gobbler.
    Hook 'Em Horns

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    Sorry for the long post!

Yeah, could have down without the snoozer but congrats on your first bow turkey!!!!
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

Good Job Hook!!! Is there any meat left on that thing?

DUDE, WHY???

I mean did you send it through a blender???
    I cut things up and split them down!

no meat was injured during the killing of this turkey...unless you eat wild turkey neck
    Hook 'Em Horns

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Hey that is a good bird with a bow Hook
    sure looks like it's gonna be some tender vittles.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

no meat was injured during the killing of this turkey...unless you eat wild turkey neck
    I grind the neck meat up to make into burgers. Everything on a turkey is edible except the beak, claws, and spurs.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

WAY TO GO HOOK!!!!!

Now it's Pink's turn!
    FBSA Fire Fighter/EMT-I
    '08 LEFT HANDED Equalizer
    Best Indoor score so far 300 48x Left handed!!!!
    Best 3D score so far 316 12x (RH)
    Firechic Finger Slings - PM for info

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    I grind the neck meat up to make into burgers. Everything on a turkey is edible except the beak, claws, and spurs.
    You eat the feathers? Do they tickle when they come out?
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    Wait...I didn't think you had even taken a turkey yet. Butterballs don't count Slip!
    Hook 'Em Horns

Wait...I didn't think you had even taken a turkey yet. Butterballs don't count Slip!
    He got his at Wal-Mart...

On sale..