You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default When do duck for cover?

There's a guy at our local club who's a bit of a speed freak with a 25x scope on his bow. His rig is a Hoyt ProElite and he shoots with a MASSIVE overdraw. He said he has a 30" draw and shoots 27" arrows!?

I was near him while he was shooting...and let me just say that I SWEAR it sounds like he's dry firing that bow when he lets it go. It has to be the loudest bow...and has the most audible shock I've ever seen.

Since I've read good reviews of the Hoyt, I'm guessing it's his arrow choice. I've decided to stay away...I'm waiting for his limbs to burst into many tiny pieces every time he lets go.

So, do you think I'm worried about it for nothing? Is it reasonable when you're firing 5gn per # pull arrows to have that loud "thwunk" and "boing" when you release?

Also, what's the most dangerous thing YOU'VE seen at your clubs or in the woods?
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I have to say I have never seen anything dangerous at our club.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Just last Sunday I shot behind a guy who had just bought an 80# Hoyt. He said that the dealer didn't really tell him what he should be getting or help him set it up too much. He was shooting 26" CX Maxima's with 100 gr. tips. That puts his arrow weight at right around 403 gr., and his bow definitely sounded like it. Noisiest bow I have ever heard. Sounded like it was coming un-manufactured every time he shot it.

The most dangerous thing I have seen at a club was when one had two targets set up fairly close together, being shot from two different directions so that when you went to recover your arrows from one, you were down range of the other. We immediately notified the club and they did move the target, but people had already shot through both of those targets and it could have been very bad.

In the woods: Well, lets just say they make the Orange Army wear blaze orange for a reason.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

the only incident at my club was a guy shooting a 80 lb bow. he would let down a lot because he couldnt hold on target good. he had to let down so fast it would jerk the string out of his hand and the arrow would swing around and shoot left. of course with my luck I was the one shooting beside him. well about the fourth or fifth round his arrow hit my bow while I was at full draw. didnt do any damage but scared the crap out of me. he was told to crank it down or leave. he left
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

25X scope. is his bow mounted on a tripod.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    25X scope. is his bow mounted on a tripod.
    No, but it has a big a big chunk of glass in it. I didn't want to have too close a look. I'm not sure I could hold my tongue after his first shot...6" behind my head while I was at full draw. THAT is how I know his bow sounded like it was coming apart....I almost ducked for cover. He has at least 30" of stab on it, too...so I wouldn't even hazard a guess at how much it weighs.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

Well for me it was back a few years. I was shooting with HCAman when his Martin Maverick string gave loose and I had to change my pants.

"HONDA"

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    Well for me it was back a few years. I was shooting with HCAman when his Martin Maverick string gave loose and I had to change my pants.
    I thought Darton made the Maverick??
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by Dooby View Post
    There's a guy at our local club who's a bit of a speed freak with a 25x scope on his bow. His rig is a Hoyt ProElite and he shoots with a MASSIVE overdraw. He said he has a 30" draw and shoots 27" arrows!?

I was near him while he was shooting...and let me just say that I SWEAR it sounds like he's dry firing that bow when he lets it go. It has to be the loudest bow...and has the most audible shock I've ever seen.

Since I've read good reviews of the Hoyt, I'm guessing it's his arrow choice. I've decided to stay away...I'm waiting for his limbs to burst into many tiny pieces every time he lets go.

So, do you think I'm worried about it for nothing? Is it reasonable when you're firing 5gn per # pull arrows to have that loud "thwunk" and "boing" when you release?

Also, what's the most dangerous thing YOU'VE seen at your clubs or in the woods?
    MOST TARGET HOYTS, sound like that......

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    Oh they do not Rabbit....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Quote Originally Posted by bullfiddle View Post
    Oh they do not Rabbit....
    stand next to one, instead of behind it.......

When I am shooting at a deer, you better be duckin', because it for dang sure isn't hitting them. But seriously, I have not seen anything "dangerous" at the shop. Only when a few amish get it, then it gets a wee bit scary.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Senior Member rdnkgrl_robinhood's Avatar

I am here to tell ya what, I just got my new pro elite and it the absolute quietest bow I have shot. And very very smooth.. So I would say it has to do with his set up and arrow choice. Depending on the weight, the overdraw, and the short arrows, he might as well be flingin toothpicks off his bow.

rdnkgrl_robinhood

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    ...he might as well be flingin toothpicks off his bow...
    That was sorta my thought. I'll bet he could get almost 380fps out of one of those little round ones that pointed on both ends.

So, your pro elite doesn't make a sorta...twang/boing sound when you shoot? What's your arrow weight & daw weight?

I thought Darton made the Maverick??
    Back in about '95 or '96 Martin did.

"HONDA"

Never had any reason to fear on any range. Was a little concerned when we were tracking a bear in Canada my cousin had shot with the bow. Had plenty guns backing us up as we tracked, but still. Never did find that one.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

When do duck for cover?
    When Slippy reaches full draw, I hit the trenches.

That was sorta my thought. I'll bet he could get almost 380fps out of one of those little round ones that pointed on both ends.

So, your pro elite doesn't make a sorta...twang/boing sound when you shoot? What's your arrow weight & daw weight?
    My draw weight is at 47.4 pounds and I am shooting easten 2312 X7's. I dont know what they weigh but they shoot very smooth, my bow barely makes a sound when I shoot. Its the best bow I've ever owned.

robinhood

Quote Originally Posted by rdnkgrl_robinhood View Post
    My draw weight is at 47.4 pounds and I am shooting easten 2312 X7's. I dont know what they weigh but they shoot very smooth, my bow barely makes a sound when I shoot. Its the best bow I've ever owned.

robinhood
    47 lbs. Man, that makes me feel like muscle man pullin' 72 lbs.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    47 lbs. Man, that makes me feel like muscle man pullin' 72 lbs.
    Since I dont hunt, I really have a reason to shoot more weight. 47 is comfortable and I can shoot it all day long without strain so that keeps fun

rdnkgrl_robinhood