You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Thinking about recurves

I've been toying with the idea of buying a recurve, mainly just to fool around with, but maybe to hunt with as well. I've seen some gorgeous vintage Bears and Brownings for cheap on eBay, which has me going to you folks for some advice.

My compound is set for 62#, but I imagine that I probably shouldn't go much over 50# with a recurve, correct?

My draw length is 29", so should I plan on a 60" bow, or could I maybe go shorter?

In keeping with that whole traditional thing, I like the idea of feathered cedar arrows, but I know there are certainly some drawbacks (warping, non-replaceable heads, breaking, etc.). Are aluminum or carbon arrows, if splined appropriately, ok to use?

I'm sure I'll have more questions as time goes on, but I'd appreciate your help with these for now.

Recurves are great, and I am far from an expert but...
    You can use carbon arrows no problem.
    as for DW, most recurves are built on a standard 28" DL so if it's a 40# bow that's at 28". You can draw it farther but after 30" the bow is actually out of its peak range, so folks with a long draw usually need a custom bow the same with youth's and short draws...That said you add or subtract about 3# for every inch over or under the DL( 40# @28", 43# @29", 37# @27")
    I would recommend for you to start with a 40-45# bow 60 on a recurve is tough but you can work up to it...

now as for arrow use the same DW chart to pick a carbon arrow but fletch the arrows with feathers not vanes...
    Goor luck and keep us posted.

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    Recurves are great, and I am far from an expert but...
    You can use carbon arrows no problem.
    as for DW, most recurves are built on a standard 28" DL so if it's a 40# bow that's at 28". You can draw it farther but after 30" the bow is actually out of its peak range, so folks with a long draw usually need a custom bow the same with youth's and short draws...That said you add or subtract about 3# for every inch over or under the DL( 40# @28", 43# @29", 37# @27")
    I would recommend for you to start with a 40-45# bow 60 on a recurve is tough but you can work up to it...

now as for arrow use the same DW chart to pick a carbon arrow but fletch the arrows with feathers not vanes...
    Goor luck and keep us posted.
    what he said.......

with my 30.5" draw length I like 64" bows better. they seem to draw smoother and have less finger pinch. if you get the chance, try both lengths. I wouldn't go over 45# to start. your fingers will get sore, your form will break down and you'll get frustrated. been there, done that.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

As stated above, you can shoot any type arrow unless you are looking to go completely traditional. I too have a 29" DL, and I shoot a 52" recurve for fun. I don't seem to have any problems with finger pinch, so I would think you could go down that short if you choose to. I would definitely start with a lower poundage bow, as you have to hold all the weight back unlike a compound with a let off.

Good luck with it!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.