You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Elbow injury/strain?

I've been shooting my first bow (30lbs recurve) for almost 2 months now. I'm fortunate enough to have a 15meter makeshift archery range I made using cardboard boxes and bundled up styrofoam in my garage. I shoot almost everyday for 1-2 hours and have been improving steadily. However, I've been experiencience minor sprain-like aches in my bow arm elbow recently. Is this common? Or is it a sign that I am overdoing my archery routine? Should I tone down my practices to maybe once every two or three days?
    "When the going gets tough, the tough gets SHOOTING!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnotikk
    I've been experiencience minor sprain-like aches in my bow arm elbow recently. Is this common? Or is it a sign that I am overdoing my archery routine? Should I tone down my practices to maybe once every two or three days?
    As with any new, or intense physical training, you'll feel pain to get gain. Your daily regimen may be too intense. Your body needs to have a chance to rebuild and refresh.

From your post, I get the feeling that you are shooting a physical game. You may have a form issue that is putting undue strain on your bow arm. Archery is more mental than physical, in my opinion. Your archery game will suffer if your focus is on the pain, and not on the target.

Try shooting only 4 out of 7 days. This will give your body a rest.

When you start practicing.....If you are not comfortable......Put the bow down. You don't want to practice bad habits, or bad feelings. If you start and you feel good....stay with it.

I hope that helps,
    Pinky
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.