You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Antelop Hunting

Default Antelop Hunting

So....how do you do it? Pink's family has a bunch of land in Southern New Mexico and we are going to go hunt some goats at some point. We know they are there cause we have seen them. How do you hunt those goats in the desert? Just setup near water and hope for the best? We of course want to stick them with an arrow...I don't wanna resort to the smoke pole!

And if I could edit the title, I may put another e in there somewhere
    Hook 'Em Horns

I have never hunted them, but I was told they are very curious and skiddish. From what I heard, you can put a white flag out and they will come to see what it is.

I don't know anyone who has gotten one with a bow, I have been told they are very hard to get close to. Good Luck!

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

The best way to do it from what I have seen/heard is to use a blind near a known water hole. Also, Antelope do not like to jump over a fence, they will crawl under one even if it means running a mile or more to do it. If you can find a place in a fense line where they are known to cross, you could set a blind up there. Camo or a blind is key as these things have like 8X eye sight and can see a couple of miles or more in flat areas. They are much more wiley than a whitetail.

Good luck, and if you score, I fully expect to see some pic's!!!!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

7mm magnum.....

I will be going to eastern Montana this fall to chase them for the first time. I can't wait. Although, I will be taking the smoke pole. I am limited on the days I can take off. It's going to be an antelope and pheasant hunt. My uncle says they see 400 - 600 birds in the three or four days they hunt them. I think that is the total population of pheasants in northern Illinois.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    I will be going to eastern Montana this fall to chase them for the first time. I can't wait. Although, I will be taking the smoke pole. I am limited on the days I can take off. It's going to be an antelope and pheasant hunt. My uncle says they see 400 - 600 birds in the three or four days they hunt them. I think that is the total population of pheasants in northern Illinois.
    I almost killed a pheasant the other day With My Car

Well if any of you are good at it, we may have to take you with us! We will have 35k acres to hunt, so it won't be crowded
    Hook 'Em Horns

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    Well if any of you are good at it, we may have to take you with us! We will have 35k acres to hunt, so it won't be crowded
    That's an awful lot of land to cover.

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

This Billy knows how to call goats i can be drafted for this hunt.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Banned

I have a sister that lives in Wyoming so I have been out there to hunt them. Try to find a well used water hole and set your blind up there. You don't want a cheap one flopping in the wind. If there has been a lot of rain, well there goes the waterhole idea. An atelope will jump fences, very high ones at that. Also be sure to take lots of water and food, you might have to be in the blind all day. Remeber they come to the water when they are thirsty and that can be at the hottest part of the day. Good luck.

Pronghorns sometimes migrate between their summer and winter ranges. Since they seldom jump over objects more than 3 feet (90 cm) high, most fences stop them unless they can go under or through them. The construction of many highways with parallel fencing has greatly altered the migratory patterns of pronghorns. Woven wire fences, in particular, are a barrier that impede pronghorn movements to water, wintering grounds, and essential forage. Proper spacing of barbed wire in fences (Fig. 3) is essential to allow adequate pronghorn movement.
    Found on http://www.extension.org/pages/Pronghorn_Antelope

I saw one run down the fence line for 100's of yards until he got to his spot to go under the fence. We have several tanks there where the cattle drink and I have found a few Muley sheds at a couple of them.
    Hook 'Em Horns

I saw one run down the fence line for 100's of yards until he got to his spot to go under the fence. We have several tanks there where the cattle drink and I have found a few Muley sheds at a couple of them.
    when do we leave?.....

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    when do we leave?.....
    Might not be till next year, but we will have to do it! We go there every year in the beginning of spring for spring branding (cattle ranch). I will have to do some scouting at some point, but I think daddy-in-law may know where the best water holes are.
    Hook 'Em Horns

Might not be till next year, but we will have to do it! We go there every year in the beginning of spring for spring branding (cattle ranch). I will have to do some scouting at some point, but I think daddy-in-law may know where the best water holes are.
    keep us informed....

I have lived in wyoming all my life. goats everywhere!!! blind on water hole is good white flag is good w or W/o blind. However they can jump fences but most times don't you can chase them into fence corners and shoot them they just look at you LOL (fish in barrel) Jk but most times will not jump it. but very currious and will come to a flag or trash bag.
    Pitahall
    wyoming goats 5x the population.

Hey Hook don't forget your President buddy....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Water holes are good , if it doen't rain.

Another tactic that works well, is to put a tripod ( or tree stand on a power pole) on a fence crossing , like the one you described. They almost never look up. You only need to get off the ground about 10 feet.

My favorite way is to hunt with a decoy , during the rut. Do a good impersonation of rival buck and they will really come charging in to run you away from their harem.