You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Nervous!!

Default Nervous!!

hey guys I'm new to the sport and continue having questions and doubts....
    my first question has to do with my bow, I bought a mathews fx2 60# 27" draw. When I got it I fell in love with how it feels looks and shoots but I'm afraid I'm not pulling enough poundage because it is really easy for me which is good but I want to know that I have enough power to take down a deer at 35-40 yds? Also is it bad to shoot about 100 times a day for the bow?

60# is plenty for deer. 100 shots a day wont hurt the bow, but I would pay close attention to your rotator cuffs. if you start getting sore I would back off a little.

I have never gotten sore in the least ever I work my back and shoulders out alot in the gym and a 60 # bow is nothing for me which is why I wish I went 70# but this bow feels incredible and if you guys think its enough to blow through big game I am happy

60# is plenty for deer and most game animals in North America...

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    60# is plenty for deer and most game animals in North America...

I also agree with this statement..................
    2010 PSE AXE 7

I shoot at 60# and my last 6 kills were pass throughs.

i have a Drenalin it was only 60 lb limbs when i got it. switched the limbs out to 70. made a difference but im still only at 67.

FBSA Member
    http://www.thefbsa.com
    Mathews Drenalin
    Sword Acu-Site http://www.swordacu-site.com
    Schmidtys Specialty Strings, QAD Ultra Rest HD,Radial XWeave Pro 300 Arrows,Limb Savers, Shuttle T-Lock Broadheads, Tru Fire Release, Super Peep W/ Clarifier, Equalizer Stabilizer
    Guests Please register here http://www.3dshoots.com/forums/index...eferrerid=8588 it will only take a second

ou can just put diff limbs on to up the poundage? How much does it cost?

If you got a dealer to order a new set from Mathews it would probably be about $125. you could probably find a used set in the ArcheryTalk classifieds for about half that and then pay your dealer a fee to change them out.

Do you think I should do it?

I wouldn't, but thats your call. If you feel you need more draw weight then look for a set of limbs.

Quote Originally Posted by brandon45 View Post
    Do you think I should do it?
    I haven't bow hunted in a while and I'm only just getting back into it, but I'll comment to you on a couple of bases:

1. The 60# bows of today have a LOT more KE than the 70# I used to deer hunt with. Missouri bucks aren't tiny by any means, and good I've seen a broadhead go through a shoulder to drop a buck on an OLD 70# bow.

2. I did much more rifle hunting...and I used to use 7mm magnum or 300 H&H...lots of power, but I finally found that a 44 mag rifle did the job just as well or better. Much less energy....but no suffering with almost immediate drops.

The more power MIGHT give you a bit more margin for error if you hit something solid and your shot is off, but I wouldn't bank on it. If you can shoot 60# tirelessly and you can hold it until you're bored (rather than fatigued) that means you'll be able to draw down on that once in a lifetime buck and hold it as long as is needed for your perfect shot to develop without losing shot integrity.

Good luck, and keep it fun!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

60lbs max for me.......
    I cut things up and split them down!