You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: A few questions

Default A few questions

My family and I are interested in getting started with archery in our area. We're looking at the Genesis line of bows so that we can share as our abilities change over the next couple of years. Our youngest two will need the mini, while I'm looking at sharing the mid-line with our oldest, and my husband will use the pro level.

We found some great deals at the Genesis Outlet, but it appears to be separate from the actual Genesis Co. Has anyone purchased from them? I can't seem to get them on the phone to answer questions. Does anyone know if the bows are brand new, used, etc? Why are they cheaper than through the company?

Also, is anyone on here from Northern NM? We've read about a couple of clubs in the area, but would also like to know if anyone knows of public land that will allow for practice?

Thanks!
    Katrina

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Thumbs up

Can't help you on the NM questions but just want to be sure you realize with the Genesis there is no let off. This does give you the ability to have more than 1 person use the same bow without regard to draw length. Don't know what your kids ages are; I don't mind them for younger ones starting out, but I believe you and you husband would likely get more enjoyment with a regular compound. Both of you should be able to handle heavier draw weights and much faster bows. This would give you much more flexibilty for getting involved in differernt types of shooting. I'm of the same opinion for an older child/teen as well. Now if there is an NASP program at the school that could make a difference as the Genesis bows are all they can shoot in that program. At least for the 2 of you I suggest hitting the pro shops in the area and try out as many different models as you both can; they can measure you up and help you get one setup to fit you. Some suggestions for bows that aren't quite as expensive as the top end ones would include Diamond, Martin and Reflex. It's nice to read of a family getting involved together in an activity. My daughter and I shoot the local 3D courses and have a great time. My wife had talked about getting into it as well but she injured her shoulder and that ended that. Get started and don't worry about how you are doing and have fun.

"theverycrazy5" - It just clicked for me.
    Last edited by dbdcougar; 05-16-2008 at 05:02 PM.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Thanks for the nice welcome! Our kids are 6,8, and 9. The reason we were looking at the Genesis line for everyone, is so the kids can grow into the bows over time to save money. I know my husband and I will also grow out of the bow and we'll eventually want more customized ones for us, but the Genesis bows will allow us to cover the kids for many years. Since kids can be fickle, we want to keep the costs low incase they end up not wanting to continue the sport.

The 6 year old definitely needs the Mini. The 8 and 9 year olds are kind of on the border line for the Standard. I think I'll start with the Standard as well as I have carpal tunnel syndrome in my wrist and have problems at time with weight on my wrist. My husband plans to get the Pro since it has the highest draw weight. I'm sure it won't last him long, but we figure it will be good for the year anyway. By then, I think I'll be ready for the Pro and our older two will move to the Standard. And so on.

Does anyone have any experience with Ye Old Archery Shoppe by any chance?

It seems there is a method to your madness! Bows are horrible at holding their value but since you'll be passing them down why not.
    FBSA emertus

I grew up where hand-me-downs were a necessity and seldom, if ever an option. I also take note of how fickle the kiddies can be.

With the number of used Diamond Edge bows around that can be picked up used very reasonably...I'd suggest you take a look at them.

They have 10" of adjustment, come in a 29# limb version, and have 75% letoff (which will be good for you holding the weight). If you crank it all back you could get it at 18" draw with 19#. If you and your hubby start out on those (assuming your husband's draw length isn't over 28") then you and your husband could use gear that would be directly usable by your oldest 2.

Best of all, they are "real" bows that could be used for hunting if you want...and they never take too long to sell if you all lose interest. Finally, looking at fairly recent model used bows means that the biggest chunk of depreciation has been had by the previous owner.

People on here can give great advice on buying used bows, too. (of course a local pro would be helpful, too). Check out the ads here and maybe even eBay or AT ads.

Good luck...and welcome to the sport!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

What do you think of the Bear Odyssey II? They're on clearance for $189 and it would go from 12#-50#. It would work for me and possibly our older two and since it grows so far in poundage, it would last them a really long time. My husband really wants to get something better for him, and I understand. My youngest had trouble pulling the 10# standard Genesis, so I think he'll still have to use the Genesis Mini.

There are some very sharp cookies here that can give you professional advice on your situation. Until they sound off, however, I'll chime in:

I'd guess that it's the draw length that your kids are most likely to outgrow, not the draw weight. If you're really weary of your kids sticking with it, you could always get better gear for you and your hubby....then just get a basic beginner recurve for your boys to share (like the rentals we have at our club). The draw weight will be sufficiently low, they can get a taste for archery, no DL adjustment necessary, and a beginner recurve won't set you back much $$. I shot my first bow one summer at 4H camp and it was only a cheap fiberglass recurve with wood arrows. Still, it was good fun and got me started.

So long as you all enjoy what you buy...there's no going wrong. There's nothing to it, but to do it.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

Be sure that with the kids shooting the same equipment they are all equal handed/eye dominant. If one needs to shoot lefty then they may throw a wrench in the plan. I would agree that looking at some of the used equipment you can find in classified sections on archery forums may be a better solution than the genisis bows. Research everything you can before buying as it does get a bit pricey when the whole clan shoots. My wife and 2 kids have all started shooting within the past year. Learning to build my own arrows has saved a ton.

Well we got their bows. And I can't tell you how excited they were to shoot a few arrows at the store. I'm not sure who was more proud, me....or the kids.

We ended up getting us each a bow because the kids were all so vastly different on draw length and weight. The younger two needed bows that were much lighter draw than our oldest, but they were so different from each other too that it would have been a real pain to keep adjusting them every few arrow shots. But, we bought them bows that will grow with them.

We decided against the Genesis bows because our two youngest would have grown out of the Mini too quickly, but weren't ready for the standard yet.

We got the youngest two Whisper Creek Phantoms, and the oldest a Parker Buckshot. I got the Browning Micro Adrenaline and my husband got a Martin Saber.

We still have a bit of supplies to purchase...then it's off to join the clubs and have some fun!! Thanks for all the advice.

Always nice to add a new Martin shooter - there aren't too many of us around here (I suppose there is that other site to entice them away). Congrats and go have fun.
    FBSA emertus