You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default light vs heavy arrows

i keep hearing about light arrows not being right for big game (at other places ) . just had a customer call that went grizzly hunting . he was a heavy arrow person . not any more . hes shooting a 70 lb gereral with maxima 350s and 100 grain montecs . his arrow is 378 grains . after loosing two griz over the years he finally scored . took a 7 foot bear with a plus 20 inch skull . the bear charged him at 50 yards and pulled up at 30 he took a head on shot hittting the bear at the base of the neck . the arrow went the whole lenght of the bear sticking 18 inches out his butt . whats your thought on arrow weight for big game .

A properly tuned hunting rig hitting a proper shot placement is more important than anything else.......
    I cut things up and split them down!

18" of arrow sticking out his butt...I bet that was a bit uncomfortable for him. Agree with bunny...shoot in the right spot and heavy or light doesn't really matter very much

Congrats to him on his bear!!
    Hook 'Em Horns

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Default No Problem

I'll hitting the woods for whitetail with 312gr and 59#. {if I don't trash anymore arrows - Make sure you're set up correctly before shooting a 3D course Oh well, Justin's making me some more!} Like they said, it's all about putting it where it needs to be.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

My hunting arrows weigh about the same as that guys, but I shoot 60lbs and only hunt whitetails. 370gr. is plenty for most big game in North America.
    Proud Member of the FBSA

3D for CP - www.archeryata.com/3dcp.html

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    A properly tuned hunting rig hitting a proper shot placement is more important than anything else.......
    Exactly right!!

I personally prefer arrows in the range of at least 6 to 7 grains per pound draw weight for hunting.

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

Default heavy arrow person for hunting

When hunting the one thing that I don't usually have is the perfect shot. So I believe a heavy arrow will punch through a bone with the proper broadhead. I shoot around a 510g arrow. 69lb marquis 2008 Great shooting bow. It shoots around 255 fps to 250 pretty consistant with this arrow. Axis carbon core full metal jacket 11.3gpi 340. If the arrow is traveling at 250 fps with a 510g arrow or a arrow traveling at 250 fps with a 375g arrow I'll take the heavier arrow for big game Elk, moose, mule deer. Shot a mule deer last yr at about 12 yards and shot through and broke its neck with 510g arrow with a 190 fps bow. The perfect shot never presented itself so I took the neck shot and it worked out great. Any animal with a bow is a trophy, 25 yr bowhunter. Target shooting is another situation and different arrow, Thanks for listening.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
    When hunting the one thing that I don't usually have is the perfect shot. So I believe a heavy arrow will punch through a bone with the proper broadhead. I shoot around a 510g arrow. 69lb marquis 2008 Great shooting bow. It shoots around 255 fps to 250 pretty consistant with this arrow. Axis carbon core full metal jacket 11.3gpi 340. If the arrow is traveling at 250 fps with a 510g arrow or a arrow traveling at 250 fps with a 375g arrow I'll take the heavier arrow for big game Elk, moose, mule deer. Shot a mule deer last yr at about 12 yards and shot through and broke its neck with 510g arrow with a 190 fps bow. The perfect shot never presented itself so I took the neck shot and it worked out great. Any animal with a bow is a trophy, 25 yr bowhunter. Target shooting is another situation and different arrow, Thanks for listening.
    Personally I wouldn't brag about such Poor shot selection. You'll lose more of those than you win. Arrow weight has little to do with bailing someone out from a Poor Shot

I guess if all you are concerned with is killing animals, then fling away

Everybody gets lucky once in a while

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

I've read a lot on this lately and it seems most people can get shoot throughs on most deer even when they hit shoulder blades. If you think of the energy involved and the extreme sharpness of a broadhead...it doesn't take much to punch through.

If you want to prove it to yourself...get a shoulder blade from your local butcher (cow is LOTS bigger than deer) and try firing a broadhead through it. You'll be confident that YOUR rig is more than capable. Might sacrifice an arrow, at most, but you'll be certain of your capability.

Sometimes...one experiment can resolve all the speculation in the world.
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

Quote Originally Posted by Dooby View Post
    I've read a lot on this lately and it seems most people can get shoot throughs on most deer even when they hit shoulder blades. If you think of the energy involved and the extreme sharpness of a broadhead...it doesn't take much to punch through.

If you want to prove it to yourself...get a shoulder blade from your local butcher (cow is LOTS bigger than deer) and try firing a broadhead through it. You'll be confident that YOUR rig is more than capable. Might sacrifice an arrow, at most, but you'll be certain of your capability.

Sometimes...one experiment can resolve all the speculation in the world.
    Don't ever believe you are gonna blow through the thick part of a Deer's shoulder because most of the time you will be sadly disappointed

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Default Arrow weight

Here is a quick chart of arrow weight, speed and the energy they have.

arrow grain fps energy
    326 351 89.2
    326 357 92.28
    356 326 84.03
    425 295 82.15
    510 250 70.8

You will see that shooting a much heavier arrow (510) that you lose over 20 pounds of energy compaired to shooting the lighter setups. The lighter arrow setup has more energy and will penetrate much farther. I see it everyday at the range. The faster arrow will go in past the cresting and the heavier ,slower ones go in about 6 to 8 inches. Try it sometime, find a friend with an 82nd or Xforce and shoot next to him. I'll bet next year you'll shoot the lighter arrows. Good luck and choose your shot careful.

Quote Originally Posted by p47dman View Post
    Here is a quick chart of arrow weight, speed and the energy they have.

arrow grain fps energy
    326 351 89.2
    326 357 92.28
    356 326 84.03
    425 295 82.15
    510 250 70.8

You will see that shooting a much heavier arrow (510) that you lose over 20 pounds of energy compaired to shooting the lighter setups. The lighter arrow setup has more energy and will penetrate much farther. I see it everyday at the range. The faster arrow will go in past the cresting and the heavier ,slower ones go in about 6 to 8 inches. Try it sometime, find a friend with an 82nd or Xforce and shoot next to him. I'll bet next year you'll shoot the lighter arrows. Good luck and choose your shot careful.
    Your figures are skewed as they are not representative of a light arrow and a heavy arrow shot out of the same bow.

I have two 82nds and I can guarantee you that a 500 grain arrow produces more #'s of KE than a 300 grain arrow does shot out of either one. I have my own grain scale, and chrono and it is easy to check.

I personally prefer a mid weight to lighter arrow because it produces all the energy I need. As in many things there are trade offs in light versus heavy arrows. The key in most instances is finding a happy medium, but there is no denying that a heavy arrow produces more KE than a light arrow shot out of the same bow

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Your figures are skewed as they are not representative of a light arrow and a heavy arrow shot out of the same bow.

I have two 82nds and I can guarantee you that a 500 grain arrow produces more #'s of KE than a 300 grain arrow does shot out of either one. I have my own grain scale, and chrono and it is easy to check.

I personally prefer a mid weight to lighter arrow because it produces all the energy I need. As in many things there are trade offs in light versus heavy arrows. The key in most instances is finding a happy medium, but there is no denying that a heavy arrow produces more KE than a light arrow shot out of the same bow

Dan
    P47 that's decent info but Dan is right.
    I really depends on the bow and the bow's effeciency, the bow's tuning combined with the shooter's ability to actually shoot th bow in a consistent fashion.
    All of that needs to be part of the solution to the KE issue.

Also somebody made a comment about shooting into the thick part of a whitetail's shoulder. That is not a no brainer to bag a deer. A lot of times I go for a lung shot since it's more or less a no brainer.

Some people just go for the gusto and go for a heart shot, who don't shoot their bow until 2 weeks before the season starts and don't shoot any 3D and practice yardage estimating.

I stink at 3D, but have fun. At the same time I mark off yardage from the base of my stands with a few orange ping pong balls when I hunt. When I take a shot I am 100% confident that deer is going down.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 11-24-2008 at 12:39 AM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

the other side of the coin . the same person that took the bear had lost two griz previously . when he came to me he was shooting a 80 lb bow with heavy arrows . the arrows wernt the problem . after i watched him shoot he asked me what i thought . i told him he was way over bowed . he said that he was told that if he wanted to harvest a griz this is what setup he would have to use . i told him that if hes having a hard time shooting targets with it it isnt going to be easier with a 700 pound bear in front of him . took him down to 70 lbs shooting a 370 grain arrow .we worked on his shooting and setup for 6 weeks . he ended up with 2- 70lb bows , and maxima 350 arrows with a 100 grain montecs . since then hes taken 9 animals with 9 shots . a mountain goat . a mountain lion , finished his slam on turkey , a 300 lb hog .some whitetails , and the last was the bear . theres nothing wrong with shooting heavy arrows but out of a well tuned bow arrows around the 350 mark will do the job .i have a 1800lb plus bufallo that agrees with me .that arrow was around 385 because i wanted a big broadhead that cut on contact a 125 satalite titan total pass through at 35 yards and i bent 1 bleeder blade over when it clipped a rib . was dead in less than 15 seconds made number 9 sci book .

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post

I have to agree. I shoot Easton A/C/C from a 60# Drenalin @ 29" draw and have consistant pass thru's on whitetail. I'm sure there would be plenty of penetration on bigger game, providing shot placement was correct.
    Owner: Bear's Den Precision Bow Tuning

"When Good Enough, Just Isn't Good Enough!"

www.bdprecision.wix.com/bearsdenprecision

I Shoot Carbon ExpressTerminator Lt. Selects with 100 grain tipps that weigh 400 grains at 29". There is no visible differance in the target penetration depths between these and the my CX 300's that come in at 370 grain with the same knocks, fletching and tipps. I shoot them both from a well tuned Hoyt Vectrix at 60# with a 29 1/2" draw. I've had pass throughs on all deer shot with both these shafts. The reason I use the heavier shaft has nothing to do with weight. It's because of equivalent quality standards at a lower cost, and they are easier to refletch without the fancy coating on the CX 300's and Maxima's. I also see no grouping differance out to 50 yards at my skill level. That's my experience.

Default to mister mean v

If you knew me you would take back that comment about killing. I do take offense to that comment. I have more respect for animals than most people I know. I know what my bow will do and what it is capable of. Point blank with heavy arrow is a serious weapon to animal. I did not tell the whole story of how this came to be on shooting this animal. I passed on him 3 times before I took this shot. If I was a killer I would shoot the whitetails that run through my yard every night. But you do not know me and maybe we will meet and shake hands and have a good day and shoot some arrows together. Sorry you read me wrong and this happens a lot on these sites.

Quote Originally Posted by wyoming4x4 View Post
    If you knew me you would take back that comment about killing. I do take offense to that comment. I have more respect for animals than most people I know. I know what my bow will do and what it is capable of. Point blank with heavy arrow is a serious weapon to animal. I did not tell the whole story of how this came to be on shooting this animal. I passed on him 3 times before I took this shot. If I was a killer I would shoot the whitetails that run through my yard every night. But you do not know me and maybe we will meet and shake hands and have a good day and shoot some arrows together. Sorry you read me wrong and this happens a lot on these sites.

No offense intended

It does not change the fact that a neck shot is a very poor shot with a bow.

If it works for you then Kudos to you, but I'll pass

Again No offense intended

Dan
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    www.meanvarchery.com

Default thank you

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    No offense intended

It does not change the fact that a neck shot is a very poor shot with a bow.

If it works for you then Kudos to you, but I'll pass

Again No offense intended

Dan
    Its not the prefered shot, but I do shoot quite well, and had the time to aim. I retired the old bow and now shoot marquis and constitution. Have a good day!

This same debate goes on in traditional archery too. Slow and heavy vs fast and light. Both seem to kill they're share.
    FBSA Member