You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: treestands?

Default treestands?

How come I only see deer hunted from treestands and not blinds?

some people hunt them froim blinds

Can they really smell you that much better on the ground

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by brandon45 View Post
    Can they really smell you that much better on the ground
    they can smell you thta much better anywhere.

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Quote Originally Posted by brandon45 View Post
    How come I only see deer hunted from treestands and not blinds?
    My reason was always visibility more than worry about being scented. Being elevated means I can see above the underbrush...which is important if you're hunting the thickets.

If you're not hunting where there's a lot of cover, then there's probably not a lot of difference.

My FAVORITE way to hunt deer is spot and stalk...but that's only if you don't get easily frustrated. Incidentally, I've never been successful spot and stalking with a bow...can't get close enough. It definitely gives me something to strive for...huge challenge!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Most people who hunt from a treestand do so because it gives them a better view of the area, and because the height removes scent from deer nose's (if you place your stand right).

People do hunt deer from blinds, especially where treestands are not an option (like most of south Texas). I have used one near crp because it was a good ambush site and there were no trees close by. Some ground blinds come with scent control built into them, others you have to control yourself, and place it right. I have always been told that if you use a blind for deer, you have to hide it well and leave it because deer will be suspicious of a new "bush" they have never seen in their backyard before. Which may be why I never killed anything from one.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

The main reason to hunt from a stand is your not in their danger zone,your above it...
    2010 PSE AXE 7

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Most people who hunt from a treestand do so because it gives them a better view of the area
    That's the biggest advantage. A good one is quite comfortable as well.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

ive hunted both tree stands and ground blinds and i love them both. maybe a ground blide a liitle more. its whole new experience.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

I hunt wooded areas and swamp in Northern Michigan. I,ve had more up close and personal encounters with deer 25' up in my tree stand in the 4 years since I started using them, than the entire 29 years of deer hunting before that, from the ground. 25' seems to be the magic minimum height where I don't get noticed from moderate movements and noises, especially after the leaves drop. I,ve had deer spooked by slow and slight head movement at 30 yards in my blind. Deer are used to small noises and movement in the trees from squirls, birds and such. I have found some scent detection advantages with elevated hunting. Even with all the scent eliminating clothing, soaps, and sprays, I still find hunting with wind in my favor to be the most important part of scent controle. That's my experience. I still use blinds some for rifle season. Have fun, and good luck.