You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Good Antelope Gun????

I will be antelope hunting in eastern montana this fall and need a gun for it. I don't know a ton about guns and need some help. What would be a good gun for them that will reach out from 100 - 300 yards. I have a friend who is willing to sell me a remington model 700 25-06 with a nikon rangefinding scope for $600. Does this sound like it would be a good gun for some antelope and does the price seem reasonable. If not what else would be a good gun for a decent price for some antelope.

Carbon Matrix

Certified NASP Instructor

Banned

The last time I gun hunted them I use a remington 30-06. A 270 would be a good gun also. Don't know if the 25-06 would work for you. They aren't very big animals so it doesn't take much to knock them down.

I'd pass on the 25.06. IMOH it is a little small for what you want. A .270 woud be fine a well as the 30.06. Antelope are close to about deer. Use what a normal deer hunter would use and you will be fine.

I think a 25-06 would be fine. the 700 probably has a 24 in barrel. If the rifle is pretty new and in good shape it sounds like an ok deal to me.

I am with JC on this one......If I were looking to hunt Antelope and needed a gun, I would look at 2 calibers pretty heavily.....

and

.25-06

either one has speed and distance to make 300 yard shots very easily.....

I think (and I could be wrong) but the 25-06 might be a touch faster......

Another caliber I would consider, until the Ammo price increase that is is the .270 WSM......do a little research on this caliber and you will be astonished at some of the balistics you can acheive.......

ANY caliber you choose, will ultimatly do the job, with a properly placed shot...

become proficient with a .223 and it COULD do the job for you......

SO yes i think the 25-06 would be a good choice......

and remember you will always have the 30-06 nay sayers......them guys are worse than all ARCHERY FANBOYS put together.....
    I cut things up and split them down!

7mm mag 150 gr. bullet or 300 win mag 165 gr. bullet (the need for speed)

I'm not knocking the 25.06, It basically is a 30.06 necked down to fit a .25 cal round. Great flat shooter and has great muzzle velocity. I just prefer a bigger round in the .30 cal range. If I was only going to have 1 gun I would prefer it to be bigger is all. For the price I think it would be a good buy. I have 2 in the .25 range, A Rem .243 and a Rem 257 Roberts. Also a 270 Rem and a 30.06. I shot the .270 almost exclusively when I used to hunt a lot. If I were to hunt with the 25.06 I would use the 110gr Nosler Partition Bullet. I'm a little bit of a gun nut. I have 4 deer rifles. 3 .22 rifles 4 shotguns and7 pistols. OOOps forgot about 2 .50 black powder rifles.

I am not a big fan of the 25-06 but it should probably work just fine...The 270 is a better choice, and if it came down to buying a 30 cal I would say don't go with the 06' but a .308...much more versatile.

The price seems alitlle high depending on the variation of 700 most of them are only worth $300-400 plus $50-75 for the scope unless it's something special...

I too love my .308.......and if i had to leave tomorow, with 1 gun and was headed for antelope, that would be the gun I would take if i didnt have time to get another....

however if i had the time.......

I would be buying something a little flatter and faster for Antelope is all.....

.270 WSM

Tim, what variation is the 700?

Quote Originally Posted by brokenarrow View Post
    I am not a big fan of the 25-06 but it should probably work just fine...The 270 is a better choice, and if it came down to buying a 30 cal I would say don't go with the 06' but a .308...much more versatile.

The price seems alitlle high depending on the variation of 700 most of them are only worth $300-400 plus $50-75 for the scope unless it's something special...
    I just re read the post and saw it's a rangefinding scope...that's could justify the extra money...

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    I too love my .308.......and if i had to leave tomorow, with 1 gun and was headed for antelope, that would be the gun I would take if i didnt have time to get another....

however if i had the time.......

I would be buying something a little flatter and faster for Antelope is all.....

.270 WSM

Tim, what variation is the 700?
    to be honest, I couldn't tell you what version it is. I will be honest and say I don't know much about rifles. About all we can use around here is shotguns, unless you are coyote hunting. My uncle has a few guns I can use when I get to Montana, but I would like to be able to shoot the gun before I get there and be more comfortable with how it shoots. What would a good used 30-06 cost me? or a 270

Carbon Matrix

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    to be honest, I couldn't tell you what version it is. I will be honest and say I don't know much about rifles. About all we can use around here is shotguns, unless you are coyote hunting. My uncle has a few guns I can use when I get to Montana, but I would like to be able to shoot the gun before I get there and be more comfortable with how it shoots. What would a good used 30-06 cost me? or a 270
    A good Rem. Model 700, Win. Model 70 will cost you around $300-500. a Savage 110,112 will go $250-400, A browning A bolt or weatherby can be $500-800...

Quote Originally Posted by STRO View Post
    you could pick up a NEW REM 700 SPS for a little over $400, and pick what ever caliber you want.........I have one in .308

I paid $419 for it.......

Put a Simmons Atec 2.5-10 on it......

what a gun.....and wont break the bank......

http://www.remington.com/products/fi...el_700_SPS.asp

Simmons atec.....

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    Simmons atec.....
    DUDE the new ones are different.....

They have new glass guys working for them, they stole a bunch of guys from another scope manufacturer

i have multiple Simmons Scopes and they have all been very good glass.....

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    DUDE the new ones are different.....

They have new glass guys working for them, they stole a bunch of guys from another scope manufacturer

i have multiple Simmons Scopes and they have all been very good glass.....
    well they would have to be alot better than they used to be for me to buy one. I wworked in a gun store 10 years ago and we got them back 5 to 1 for replacement or warranty work.

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    well they would have to be alot better than they used to be for me to buy one. I wworked in a gun store 10 years ago and we got them back 5 to 1 for replacement or warranty work.
    I have a Simmons 44mag (44mm OBJ lense), that has seen thousands of rounds from my .223, and is now on my .17hmr......PROBLEM free for over 10 years.....

and this new Aetec, IS AWSOME.......

For hunting deer in the plains I used to like the .243, personally. Super fast and flat shooter. Some might argue it doen't have enough punch at very long distances...but it always seemed to have enough.

If you want lots of KE as well as nice trajectory a 7mm mag has plenty of go and a very nice ballistic profile. I also used to shoot a .300 H&H that I'd place in the same "blow stuff off" category.

I was never QUITE as accurate with the .270 as I was the .243....though your mileage may vary. I think if you try these 4 at 300-400 yards to get a feel for them, you'll find what you want.

(note: The 30-06 is really common, and many many deer have been taken with them...I just never really found myself as accurate, especially at longer ranges. Probably just me, though. *shrug*)
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

That 25-06 would make a very nice set up for antelope, you don't need anything more than that. It sounds like a sweet setup at a decent price, almost perfect for what you are doing. The only reason to go heavier is if you want a one rifle to do it all package. The guy I grew up with shooting had a M98 converted to 25-06; it worked very well on whitetails and antelope are no harder to kill than they. Bunny is right, shot placement is by far the most important thing.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

what would be a do it all gun for deer, antelope, elk, and anything else. Maybe that should be the rout I go. As for wishful thinking I will be doing more of these hunts in the future.

Carbon Matrix