You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: springs

Default springs

I have heard you can buy springs that are calibrated for different poundage. compress it a 1/4 inch for a 100 lbs, 1/2 inch for 200 lbs. might not be the exact measurment. what I want to know is were can I buy some. any one know. thanks
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Quote Originally Posted by longcut36 View Post
    I have heard you can buy springs that are calibrated for different poundage. compress it a 1/4 inch for a 100 lbs, 1/2 inch for 200 lbs. might not be the exact measurment. what I want to know is were can I buy some. any one know. thanks
    what would they be used for?? what industry?
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    what would they be used for?? what industry?
    I want to build a string stretcher and be able to tell about how much pressure I have on the string. I know you can buy springs that you can compress and get a certain amount of pressure depending on how much it is compressed. there is a bunch of formulas you can use to figure it out. but being lazy I was hoping some one might have the answer.
    Lingerie football. I dont care who wins.

sent using my keyboard and two fingers

Any spring that's rated for the cycles you need with an appropriate spring constant should work. The spring constant is force/distance. Additionally, springs have a free length. There are compression springs (the type you mention that you squish), extension springs (opposite of that) and torsional springs (the kind you twist, so the spring constant is force/degree). There are many other types of springs...but to go on would just be me being a wanker.

You need to consider both the extension range that you want as well as the poundage. Based on your example, look for a compression spring with a constant (aka. spring rate) of 200#/inch.

www.thomasnet.com is a good place to find suppliers/makers. Just as a quick check, I found a place and searched their standard inventory for compression springs with >= 200#/inch of all sizes. Take a peep:
    http://hardwareproducts.thomasnet.co...=1&backtoname=
    Last edited by Dooby; 05-27-2008 at 06:47 PM. Reason: Link got messed up!
    "The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits" -- Albert Einstein