You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Small diameter arrow questions

I was out looking at new arrows and seen some Easton nano fused arrows but, the inserts are to small to use any of my tips or broadheads. So I was wondering are small diameter arrows just for target shooting? Is it possible to get differant inserts or something to be able to use like 9/32 tips? Any help in this area would be great. Also what type do you shoot if you do!?

I am not familiar with the Nano's...sorry

I shoot Carbon Express Linejammers and CX200's

Are the CX LJ's small diameter? I have been shooting cheap arrows for a long time and am just tring to learn more about newer arrows. I've been shooting $42 per dozen Bemans.

you use 9/32 tips with axis arrows

If you do just a little more research you'll find that most of the small diameter shafts such as you mention, along with the Easton ST Axis are just about 17/64" in diameter. Therefore you can use 17/64 points---if you can find them in the stores. A better point that fits very nice is the Easton RPS points used in the ACC 3-18 and 3-28.

As for the inserts? They are designed to fit completely within the shafts. Your points will screw into them. They are not too small. The threads are the same 8x32 on all inserts with the exception being a few in the ACC's that are 6x32.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

I wasn't really sure of the tread on the tips, I just guessed at the 9/32.

9/32 has nothing to do with thread size. It's a diameter in 32nds of an inch.
    The two most common diameter for carbon arrows is 9/32 or 5/16". The arrows usually measure 19/64" so they are right between these two point diameters. Whish you use doesn't matter. Personal choice.

The threads are common and are 8X32 except in some special applications which are 6X32. YOu won't find these in any stores unless they have a lot of specialty items. So in effect, all inserts and all points/broadheads have the same thread size.

One other thing. Most broadhead ferrules have a diameter that is closer to 5/16" so are larger than the diameter of the smaller diameter carbon arrows (ST Axis and such). Don't let it bother you. They can be a pain removing from some targets when practicing, but are really designed to be shot through an animal, not pulled back out in reverse fashion. There are reverse taper washers you can get, but why bother. How much do you shoot broadheads during the off season. For that matter how many shots do you take during a season.

I might shoot 5000 shots a year (I've cut back). 20 of those with broadheads. I shoot them to check their flight, tune if necessary and then use them for hunting. They aren't designed to be shot all year long. That's what the little field points are for.
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Ok, I have read threw everything and I guess I worded my stuff wrong or it came out wrong. I was wondering what tips do I have to get so they fit in the small diameter arrows inserts. Also where do I find them?

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    Ok, I have read threw everything and I guess I worded my stuff wrong or it came out wrong. I was wondering what tips do I have to get so they fit in the small diameter arrows inserts. Also where do I find them?
    field points are easy you can just get the same size point as the arrow shaft. They make an adapter ring for broadheads that is basically a beveled washer that fits between the broadhead and the shaft to make up the difference in diameter.
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

Quote Originally Posted by arrowslinger View Post
    The easiest to find is the Easton RPS 17/64". Another is the EZ Pull .246 field point. You can get them from Lancaster Archery Supply and view the points in the upper right hand column, page 78 of their catalog. They can answer any questions when you place the order. They're good.
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    The easiest to find is the Easton RPS 17/64". Another is the EZ Pull .246 field point. You can get them from Lancaster Archery Supply and view the points in the upper right hand column, page 78 of their catalog. They can answer any questions when you place the order. They're good.
    Saunders also makes 17/64" bulge points, which work good to protect the shaft and makes it fairly easy to pull from a 3D target.

You really don't need anything special for the Axis arrows. The inserts, epoxy, nocks, insert tool and chamfering stone come with them as well, even if you just buy shafts instead of fletched arrows. You just need the shop to cut them down to the correct length before you glue in the inserts.

That's also good advice about Lancaster. They are good...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....