You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

View Poll Results: camo for hardwood treestand hunting

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • Predator Fall Gray

    1 3.57%
  • Predator Brown

    3 10.71%
  • Realtree AP

    11 39.29%
  • Mossy Oak Tree Stand

    13 46.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 25
  1. #1
    Super Member BuckeyeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,067

    Default Camo for hardwood tree stand hunting

    Looking to get some new gear for this fall and trying to decide which camo will work best 20ft up in hardwoods? My narrowed selection is....


    1. Predator Fall Gray
    2. Predator Brown
    3. Realtree AP
    4. Mossy Oak Treestand

    I haven't seen any black and white pics of the AP or MO ts. anyone have pics?

    Opinions?
    Be good or be good at it.

  2. #2
    He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,373

    Default

    I'd go with the Predator, however which one would depend on your surroundings. Against the sky, probably the grey. Against a hillside probably the brown.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

  3. #3
    Member Scottyluck's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CT
    Posts
    291

    Default

    Predator Brown is without question the most versatile of the patterns. It's light enough in spots to blend in well year round on stand or on the ground.
    The Fall Gray is a solid choice as well. A bit lighter than the Brown.

    FWIW I have a mix of Gray, Spring Green and some Deception. The Brown could replace a good protion of what I have.

  4. #4
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    ASAT is a very good all round camo



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  5. #5
    He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    my den
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    You have to remember that camo manufacturer's make all this pretty camo to look good to hunters. Deer see camo different from humans. This is why "camo" blaze orange works. All we really need to do is break up our outline, so which you choose really boils down to what you like the best. I personally use MOBU mostly because I like the dark and light gray tones that I think blend in with the trees, I also use the AP too, again the gray's play a big part. Get what you like and don't worry about what other hunters think!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

    Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Rockland, Maine
    Posts
    14

    Default camo options

    I like leafy suits as a first choice, just to break up the human outline. Then I like ASAT as a pattern. I chose between an ASAT leafy suit and Predator fall (non-leafy) after seeing the versatility photos on both companies' websites. I have several other camo patterns which will be covered with the ASAT leafy suit, likely for everything I hunt this year when I'm not in my dome blind.

  7. #7
    Super Member BuckeyeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    You have to remember that camo manufacturer's make all this pretty camo to look good to hunters. Deer see camo different from humans. This is why "camo" blaze orange works. All we really need to do is break up our outline, so which you choose really boils down to what you like the best. I personally use MOBU mostly because I like the dark and light gray tones that I think blend in with the trees, I also use the AP too, again the gray's play a big part. Get what you like and don't worry about what other hunters think!
    I've been using MO BU and have been busted by doe 3 diff.times last yr., up wind, no movement, nothing. Just was looking for some testimonials was all. I am leaning towards Predator Fall Brown...
    Be good or be good at it.

  8. #8
    He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    my den
    Posts
    1,468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by BuckeyeRed View Post
    I've been using MO BU and have been busted by doe 3 diff.times last yr., up wind, no movement, nothing. Just was looking for some testimonials was all. I am leaning towards Predator Fall Brown...
    Nothing wrong with the predator line of camo, it has a good open design that a lot of people seem to like and it works for them.

    What are you washing your hunting close in? Deer see UV and if the detergent you are useing has UV brightners in it that may be a contributing factor to getting busted and no camo change will help. Just an idea.
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

    Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

  9. #9
    Bisquit....... BowhuntnHoosier's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Hoosierville
    Posts
    13,882

    Default

    I like Realtree............


    "HONDA"

  10. #10
    Super Member BuckeyeRed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    N. Illinois
    Posts
    1,067

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by pred8er View Post
    Nothing wrong with the predator line of camo, it has a good open design that a lot of people seem to like and it works for them.

    What are you washing your hunting close in? Deer see UV and if the detergent you are useing has UV brightners in it that may be a contributing factor to getting busted and no camo change will help. Just an idea.
    Been using scent blocker carbon wash, says no UV brighteners.
    Be good or be good at it.

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    Realtree Hardwoods HD

  12. #12
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Location
    KS
    Posts
    157

    Default

    You might want to give Nat Gear a look. I have yet to find anywhere that Nat Gear wouldn't work extremely well. The more I use it the more I like it.

  13. #13
    Do Work! J-Daddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    IOWA!!!!!
    Posts
    70

    Default Treestand

    I havent gotten any MossyOak Treestand in yet, but I think it's gonna be a great pattern for whitetail hunting once the leaves are gone. I plan on owning some of it for this fall....
    That being said, my favorite pattern for treestand hunting once the leaves hit the ground is MossyOak Brush, yeah I know it's made for western hunters but I've had great luck with it in a treestand over the past 3 or 4 years. It's amazing how well it blends in with a tree trunk.
    John's Customs ProStaff "custom strings & tune jobs"
    MossyOak Pro Staff

  14. #14
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    ASAT is a very good all round camo

    Here is a link that will describe how aniamls especially deer view colors
    thats why I chose brown
    it has red in it
    check it out.http://atsko.com/index.html

    Here is thier home page they have wonderful products that work
    i use them religiously
    http://www.atsko.com/articles/animal...see-smell.html



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Buckley, Michigan
    Posts
    671

    Default

    I only use mossy oak break up. I haven't been spotted in my stand, that I know of, yet. I've had deer stare at me from less than 10 yards. Some garmets have been treated with UV Killer after checking them with a black light for the "blue glow". Just my experience.

  16. #16
    Senior Member Holy Smokes's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free
    Posts
    6,713

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    I only use mossy oak break up. I haven't been spotted in my stand, that I know of, yet. I've had deer stare at me from less than 10 yards. Some garmets have been treated with UV Killer after checking them with a black light for the "blue glow". Just my experience.

    thats THA STUFF



    Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

  17. #17
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,047

    Default

    all i use is the predator fall brow deception, great stuff, use it for elk hunting, timber areas, open sage areas, also for deer in wooded areas and for antilope in feilds and flat lands, it really breaks up your body well. I like it!!

  18. #18
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Location
    Tampa FL
    Posts
    149

    Default

    I like realtree hardwoods HD

  19. #19
    Buckeyes #1 <---- Slippy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Lithopolis Ohio
    Posts
    1,822

    Thumbs up

    Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    I'd go with the Predator, however which one would depend on your surroundings. Against the sky, probably the grey. Against a hillside probably the brown.

    +2 .............
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

  20. #20
    I love this stuff rodney482's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Location
    Midwest
    Posts
    660

    Default

    the material is much more important than the pattern!

    has to be waterproof

    cant fade period

    burr resistant

    quiet at cold temps

    cut for movement.

    I use the new Mossy oak Treestand, scentblocker outifitter!

Similar Threads

  1. My first tree stand
    By thjacobi in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 09-12-2008, 08:59 PM
  2. Tree stand problem
    By MObottomshunter in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: 09-10-2008, 05:39 PM
  3. tree stand
    By brandon45 in forum Bowhunting forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 05-27-2008, 04:25 AM
  4. Tree stand harness.
    By RiverRob in forum Archery Equipment Accessories - Buy Sell Trade
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 02-11-2008, 03:24 PM
  5. Camo tree stand umbrella?..
    By IChim2 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 09-26-2007, 11:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •