You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Proper Arrow Length & Type?

I'm new to bow hunting. I'm 18 and on a budget but I found a good deal on a Fred Bear Element package.

My draw length is 28" and I will have a draw weight of 60-70. What is the best type of arrow and length?

I'm confused on the length because some people seem to swear by shorter arrows while other places say 1 inch longer than your weight.

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

First and foremost You may soon find yourself addicted to this sport like so many of us.

Arrow length depends on two things, bow draw weight and Draw Length. For the most amount of speed, 5 grains of arrow weight per pound of draw weight. That's shaft, fletching, nock, insert and point. So if you are shooting a 70# bow it's 350 grains for arrow weight.

I cut my arrows 1/4" past my rest and for me that is 27 3/8". The best way to do this is to have someone help you. Draw the bow with an uncut arrow and have your helper mark the arrow just past the rest with a sharpe or something you will be able to see, then you will know where to have them cut.

Something that hasn't been addressed yet is spine of your arrows, or their stiffness. Spine is different for different draw weights. I am guessing that you will need about a 400 spine for 70#'s.

As far as what arrow to get, you say you are on a budget, so I would suggest something along the lines of Bass Pro's Redhead line. They are a descent arrow at a resonable price and they hold up well to abuse. If you are more inclined to a brand name and maybe a little better quality control, try the Gold Tip Expidition hunter arrows.

Hope this helps and if you have any more questions, feel free to ask away. Someone on here knows the answer and will help you out!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

so basically your saying i should shoot pretty much the shortest arrow possible. i've read that a lot online. good advice on the redheads. i hoped someone could lead me to a quality arrow for a low price. thanks man!

My advice for quality arrows at a good price would be to watch the AT classified section. These are not awesome quality but still a good arrow (my vipertec seems to like them the best), I saw an add for two dozen Easton Epic 400 for $90 TYD that was on there for 4 or 5 days and there was a choice of different colored vanes as well. If you watch the adds you will be surprised sometimes to find exactly what you want for your price. Just need to be patient.
    Beware this archery thing can get real addictive!
    Mathews Switchback 63# 29"
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

The AT classifieds is also good advice. You do have to be patient though and buyer beware. Use their trader feed back to your advantage and try to use (and I hate to say this) Pay Pal or a USPS money order. I'm not saying you will have problems because most archers are good people, but if you do, make sure to let a Mod over there know so they can try to correct the problem. If you got questions on what's a good deal, ask!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.