You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Elbow pain after switching to BT release

I have been shooting now for about 4 months and decided to try using a back tension release. I have my bow set a 52lbs and with a wrist release I was very comfortable shooting 120 to 180 arrows a day. After switching to a back tension release I now have pain in my draw elbow after shooting 30 to 60 arrows. I know that your forearm is rotated differently so that maybe the source of my pain. But are there things I can check in my form or how my release is set up? I'm about ready to give up and go back to my wrist release.

I would look at the head length of the two releases. This could be increasing or decreasing the location of your pulling arm and elbow.
    which two releases have your been using?
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

For a wrist release I've been using a trufire badger and for the back tension releases I have zenith and a truball BT gold. Does switching to a BT release require changing the length of your D-loop?

Thanks

Ok, now that helps. The change in releases is not changing your bows draw length but is changing your physical draw length. Your pulling arm elbow is not in the same place. I expect your elbow is much higher with the back tension release.

Do you have a digital camera? Have someone take two pictures one with each release at full draw from the side so we can see your form.

If you just want to try something, add a longer loop when shooting the back tension release.

Chris,

Thanks for the reply. Before reading your latest post I tried my wrist release again and did find that my elbow was lower with the wrist release than the BT release. So I took off my kisser button and my peep sight and with my practice cam in my Zenith BT release found a comfortable draw position with a lower elbow. I think I had my elbow high because of two things - my kisser button location and second to keep the release from firing. So I changed release point on my BT release so my elbow could start out lower without releasing. Next I put my kisser button and peep sight on to match my new draw position. Ended up moving the kisser up about a centimeter. I'll be going out to the target range tonight to test it out and see how it goes. If that doesn't help I'll try lenghtening my d-loop.

Thanks

Default No Pain is GOOD

Once again Chris you have came through for us. I had no idea what could be the problem Guess thats why you are a Proshop Pro and I am a lowly arrow flinger. Good luck there slow I hope the pain goes away soon.

"HONDA"

I'm just glad I could help out and I hope it works well for him. I hope it helped with the pain. Shooting and pain should not be one in the same. Hey Slow how did it turn out at the range.

Chris,

I didn't have time to shoot a whole bunch of arrows but I did feel much more comfortable and the shot seem to go off a lot easier. I think having my elbow lower helped me to be a little more relaxed in the arm and elbow. I shot the last two nights for a little bit and elbow seems to be fine.

Although I think I may have to lengthen my d-loop which I haven't done yet. I'll have to set up the video camera to see.

Thanks for the help

Hello all, I have some what the same issue, was playing around with my drawlength on my bow, found i liked the feel of it alot better at 28 inches insted of 28.5, However didnt really shoot better or worse. after a few nights of shooting it, i noticed my elbow really gets sore, not my draw arm, but my holding arm, after paying attention and having talking with shop owner, we decided my bow arm was a little to bent, and was kinda snapping stright during release, pry causing over streching on my elbow, so i now have new cams on order, due to the fact i bought a new bow. and cannot chage it like before, which is no big deal really. ill be happy when the pain is gone tho!! Happy shooting all!!