You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: New To The Game

Default New To The Game

I was given a used Formula 3D Compound Bow, as a gift. I think they were made by Golden Eagle at one point. These are the following things I have done to it: installed whisker bisquit, truglo 3 pin sights and peep sight adjusted for me. I believe the draw weight is set about 57 pounds. I guess that's good for a new bee. I was wondering is this a good set up and would you hunt with this bow?

yes, as long as the bow fits you well, it'll be fine for hunting.

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Have your draw length checked out. Not familiar with that model and how DL is adjusted but if the draw length is off it will make it harder on you.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

look over the string very carefully. if it shows no sign of fraying or serving serpration your good to go. if not replace it and have a ball shooting.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Absolutely!!!

But like they said look over the string and check your DL...
    57 pounds is more than enough for any North American game animal...

I had everything checked out by two different archery shops. They say the string is fine. The DL is at the lowest setting and it feels good. I hope that's ok to say, LOL. I also added a loop so I want be shooting off the string and a wrist strap to keep from dropping the bow. I am open do advice. I have been practicing at 20 yards. I want to sight the other two pins in at 30 and 40. Should I hold off for now?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

As long as you are shooting well enough to group up so you can make meaningful sight adjustments go ahead and move back.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Quote Originally Posted by savagebandit View Post
    I had everything checked out by two different archery shops. They say the string is fine. The DL is at the lowest setting and it feels good. I hope that's ok to say, LOL. I also added a loop so I want be shooting off the string and a wrist strap to keep from dropping the bow. I am open do advice. I have been practicing at 20 yards. I want to sight the other two pins in at 30 and 40. Should I hold off for now?
    IMO the best advice I can give is to get your bow properly set up for you in a way it is comfortable. Proper draw length is very important. As also a good comfortable draw weight. Do not and I repeat do not get caught up in the draw- weight war. I personally like to keep my bows at the 60# range. I used to shoot a lot more weight but that was on the older bows. With the bows of today you don't need it and all you are doing is collectively tearing up your arm and shoulder joints needlessly. You'll hear about more weight (allowing you to shoot a heavier arrow) = more speed = more Ke. (Kinetic energy), But shooting a 60# DW allows me to shoot a lighter arrow without losing alot of speed. Saves my shoulders (which in the long run is great) and still produces more than enough KE to bust thru the shoulders (of the deer) if need be and get complete pass thru's. All the rest of the KE is lost in burying into the ground or tree after the pass thru. Most of the KE today is wasted after the pass thru. I like speed strictly for trajectory purposes. If I was going after Moose or bear then my thoughts on KE would change accordingly. Set your hunting rig for the best balance of speed, trajectory and Ke to get 'er done without sacrificing your joints. That deer doesn't care how much the numbers were once the arrow passes thru it and buries into the ground. Set yourself up for the long term and leave the bragging rights on poundage for the others.

But also keep in mind your terrain that you normally hunt in. Here "in Missouri" where I hunt foliage is a big factor and my shots are usually close-in shots and trajectory is more important than the extra Ke. If you're in an area than is mostly open land shooting you might need the extra poundage for faster longer shoots with heavier arrows for more KE at point of impact. So YOUR normal hunting area is a factor in the equation also. No one setup is perfect for ALL situations.
    But then again.....this is only my opinion.
    Last edited by MoSkeeter0311; 07-01-2008 at 07:19 AM.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MoSkeeter0311 View Post
    IMO the best advice I can give is to get your bow properly set up for you in a way it is comfortable. Proper draw length is very important. As also a good comfortable draw weight. Do not and I repeat do not get caught up in the draw- weight war. I personally like to keep my bows at the 60# range. I used to shoot a lot more weight but that was on the older bows. With the bows of today you don't need it and all you are doing is collectively tearing up your arm and shoulder joints needlessly. You'll hear about more weight (allowing you to shoot a heavier arrow) = more speed = more Ke. (Kinetic energy), But shooting a 60# DW allows me to shoot a lighter arrow without losing alot of speed. Saves my shoulders (which in the long run is great) and still produces more than enough KE to bust thru the shoulders (of the deer) if need be and get complete pass thru's. All the rest of the KE is lost in burying into the ground or tree after the pass thru. Most of the KE today is wasted after the pass thru. I like speed strictly for trajectory purposes. If I was going after Moose or bear then my thoughts on KE would change accordingly. Set your hunting rig for the best balance of speed, trajectory and Ke to get 'er done without sacrificing your joints. That deer doesn't care how much the numbers were once the arrow passes thru it and buries into the ground. Set yourself up for the long term and leave the bragging rights on poundage for the others.

But also keep in mind your terrain that you normally hunt in. Here "in Missouri" where I hunt foliage is a big factor and my shots are usually close-in shots and trajectory is more important than the extra Ke. If you're in an area than is mostly open land shooting you might need the extra poundage for faster longer shoots with heavier arrows for more KE at point of impact. So YOUR normal hunting area is a factor in the equation also. No one setup is perfect for ALL situations.
    But then again.....this is only my opinion.
    Thanks for the help. I guess my next step is arrow selection. The tech set me up with some Expedition hunters 5575. He only carries carbon arrows at his shop. I was told about another brand called carbon express, I hear they set up nice with a mech. broadhead called the grim reaper. Please let me know what you guys and gals think.
    Last edited by savagebandit; 07-01-2008 at 11:25 PM. Reason: correction

Thanks for the help. I guess my next step is arrow selection. The tech set me up with some Expedition hunters 5575. He only carries carbon arrows at his shop. I was told about another brand called carbon express, I hear they set up nice with a mech. broadhead called the grim reaper. Please let me know what you guys and gals think.
    I use Gold tip arrows and they work just as well as any arrow out there. CX are nice but have a price tag to match. My advice is order a catalouge from Lancaster archery and look at the charts, spine for your set up, and price, and decide your arrow slection from there.
    Fear not the Gt you got will shoot fine.
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    I use Gold tip arrows and they work just as well as any arrow out there. CX are nice but have a price tag to match. My advice is order a catalouge from Lancaster archery and look at the charts, spine for your set up, and price, and decide your arrow slection from there.
    Fear not the Gt you got will shoot fine.
    Thanks for the information, I really have become a fan. I'm on my second target in two weeks. My arrows keep passing thru after maybe 40-50 shots. I am going to step up and purchase a real target. The one at wal-mart know has a hole in the center. I keep nailing it at 20 yards. I'm trying to profect it. Has anyone tried the Grim Reaper broadheads?

Thanks for the information, I really have become a fan. I'm on my second target in two weeks. My arrows keep passing thru after maybe 40-50 shots. I am going to step up and purchase a real target. The one at wal-mart know has a hole in the center. I keep nailing it at 20 yards. I'm trying to profect it. Has anyone tried the Grim Reaper broadheads?

Don't know much about mechanicals as I'm not a fan of them. A few of my buddies use them and really like them 'tho. From their talk I would also suggest looking at the "Rage".

I use rage 3 blade for turkey and deer. They work great and the wound track is huge!
    (new)FBSA Member