You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question IBO legal sight??????????

i fianaly shot my first 3d touney last weekend and there was some ? as to weather my sight was legal i am shooting a yardage master by rack n spur

I don't know much about that particular sight, but from what I've read on the net about it... It says it has range finding capability, and while most everything we shoot here is ASA and not IBO and I'm not sure of the differences in regulations.. That would be a BIG no-no in my neck of the woods for ASA. You're not allowed to take anything that is capable of telling you the range of your target that can't be carried in your cranium.

**EDIT**

Just looked at the IBO rules on rangefinders, and this is what it says:

1. An integral part of IBO 3-D competition is the archer’s ability to judge yardage without the assistance of range-finding devices or assistance from others. Therefore, cameras, rangefinders, or any other devices that may be used to calculate yardage to the target are prohibited. An archer may not use parts of his or her body, the bow, or any other accessories or equipment to calculate yardage. Any mark on otherwise legal binoculars that could be construed as a reference point for range finding is prohibited.
    So, I guess they might have a legit complaint with your sights..
    Last edited by NE1C_my_arrow; 05-11-2006 at 08:05 PM.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

O.k so my question is this and remember I really dont like cheaters.

Not talking about a regular range finder here but what about those ones that are based on lines on the side of your sight?? I have seen a few and it seems as though they are only good for one type of animal at a time, correct?

So if a person has one for say elk on his bow it would only help on elk correct? I mean the body of say a racoon will not line up for the same distances as an elk. I dont use one of these, do not know how much they cost or care for that matter. It seems to me you would be handicaping your self getting used to using some thing like that and not haveing to learn to judge yardage. JMO
    I cut things up and split them down!

Quote Originally Posted by BOWMAN
    Not talking about a regular range finder here but what about those ones that are based on lines on the side of your sight?? I have seen a few and it seems as though they are only good for one type of animal at a time, correct?
    Yes, you would be correct.. Most of the type of "ranging" type sights like you are talking about are more or less calibrated for what they consider to be "typical" dimensions for the target the device was meant to be used on. A good example is the "mil-dot" types of recitles in rifle scopes. True military "mil-dot" recitles are more or less calibrated to the width of the average human body at a given distance. Meaning that at that distance the average human body will fill the area between the dots on a "mil-dot" reticle. You then know that yardage.. if the width of the body is larger than the space, it is closer than the given yardage for the spacing.. if smaller, then it's farther and so on.

The same could be said of a bow sight that uses lines to determine the yardage of say a deer sized target. If the lines are calibrated to show an average deer sized target at 20 yards.. then the use of those lines would be useless on a target that was markedly larger or smaller. Such as an elk or a coon.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.