You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Scents... Brands with the most success

Hello,
    Just thought Id ask the question on which scents have had the best success. I typically use the cheaper brands due to the number of bottles I can go thru during a week of hunting. I do get activity with the lesser name brands. I am curious to find out if by using higher quality and priced scents if my results would increase as well.

Thanks

Paul

Me and my friends have had great luck with Hawgs Ltd scents. It's synthetic so it doesn't go bad on you like the other scents. When I was buying the "real" stuff, I was always worried that it was old. Who's to say it wasn't a year old when I bought it?

After trying many, many different scent brands and not having any great success, I bought Hawgs Ltd and this stuff works really good.

I have had the good fortune of being a student in the use of scents and lures for whitetail deer. My teacher is an accomplished hunter and trapper. His knowledge of the habits, and, preferences of the target animal amazes me.

Our discussion of scents and lures for deer arose duing a conversation about what to use on my hobby trapline. What I learned from Nick, has been lethal for many a deer. If you are waiting to hear about a 180 class harvest, it will not happen here. But, my success rate increased dramatically.

Upon understanding what should be expected from the use of scents has added a whole new adventure to the deer hunt. Some deer will spook and run. Some will spend time trying to locate the source. All in all, you will see more deer with the proper application of scents. But, you should not expect too much. If you see a deer responding to your scent, you have been successful.

YES, I use lures and scent based attractants for deer. But, I do not expect every deer that responds to the scent to stroll in and commit suicide. In actuallity, many deer spook on certain scents.

The marketing of scent attractants for deer (mainly mature buck deer) is, in my opinion, over rated by the makers of the stuff. The advertisements of mature, free ranging, white-tailed bucks marching in for an easy kill is far from the truth. Please, bear in mind, this is my opinion based on my own personal experience. On the other hand, deer responding to scents can increase your likelyhood of harvesting an animal.

The first scent you should use is your own. Yep, if your scent is detected by a wary white-tailed deer, you are pretty much out of the hunt with a bow. I don't think I need to go into detail about those foot stompin' does.

That said, your "scent pool", as we call it, must be positioned in such manner that your scent is not a part of it. If you can accomplish that, you are halfway to the fun part.

I have had doe deer respond to a "mature buck" scent by searching the scent out by circling the scent pool and then bounding off with their fawns. Sometimes, they go into a lock up and try to locate the deer from which the scent is coming from. Point being here that I could have taken those doe deer almost all of the time with a rifle. Seldom have have they afforded me a bow range shot. Subordinate bucks seem to have the same reaction. Receptive does are most likely to hang around in search of the mate.

"Doe in Heat" scents.....No matter what the brand, you still have to position the "scent pool" so that the deer smell it and not you. My favorite application of this type scent is a "sprayed trail" (from a spray bottle) of doe urine that will lead the bucks upwind of my stand. You can rest assured that the sneaky big boys will wind the trail, and, parallel it from quite a distance. From my experience, the better bucks will be up to 100 yards downwind of the scent trail. Yep, you need to be watching behind you.

The beauty of using "natural" urines is that after the application, the urine scent biodegrades so that deer are not attracted for an extended period of time. Yes, the scent trail will exist for quite some time in certain weather conditions. But, unlike glycol based attractants, the morning dew will wash away most of the scent. (I put out my glycol based lures in wick type sets. I retrieve them after the hunt. Never allowing them to drip on the ground.)

If you are new to deer hunting, and, hunt in a locale that allows baiting for deer, DO IT! You will learn alot about the critters. Your observations of the deer will help you more than the use of lures and scents. After learning, observing, and harveting a few deer you can then make the most of the "lure" game. You must walk, before you run. Well, I did anyway.

I do have some favorites. But, the brand names are less of an issue than the proper application. The same is the fact for trapping lures.

If you are in the right spot at the right time, you will be much more successful than if you are the wrong place at the right time with the best of lures and equipment.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

S&P scents are awesome, I put 2 bucks on the wall last year thanks to S&P. Passed on many more. This stuff is fresh.

wood in Central Virginia

The brand I have had the most success with on big bucks is James Valley Scents. It is available is some stores; but not MASS MARKETED in the chains.
    Order early to get some. They generally will run out before the season gets halfway through here in the Mid Atlantic.
    They send their scents,lures,gels in glass bottles. They are located in Melette,South Dakota. They have a 800 # but not sure I am allowed to post it so I won't. PM me if you need it.

Default Have been into a synteticscent craze for 3 years now.

I also use the hawgslimited scents,and suggest getting on there website www.hawglimited.com,and read there info thoroughly.
    I read it along time ago and got my money back from all those bottles...
    If your using bottled urine and think it works for you just great and fine,you will think differently after reading this knowledge and wisdom this company has to say.
    I know that there are firm Tinks 69 users,and never would think of changing the wheels on there tractor,but,
    You will throw that little brown bottle away if you used this stuff for even one year.
    I also will try and use the synthetic scent by scent sheild...I just think that after reading and understanding the information that I will stay with and use synthetics.
    I will say that on many occassions I have had 5 or more deer all within 20yards with there heads down doing there thing.
    I also have seen what happens to a deer trail when it triples in size.
    I have also seen 6 different 6-8point bucks I have never seen before all recorded on film checking out this trail.
    I can say to be impressed by what scent does is one thing,to be 100% positive what works is another.
    I also can not put enough emphasis on getting winded,or detected by the older mature monster that you may be after.
    Being scent free is a absolute must for me,and I have yet to be truly point blank busted because of scent.
    I hope I can keep it this way.
    All I know is a true booner knows more about staying a booner than the average tinks user.

Default Have been into a synteticscent craze for 3 years now.

I also use the hawgslimited scents,and suggest getting on there website www.hawglimited.com,and read there info thoroughly.
    I read it along time ago and got my money back from all those bottles...
    If your using bottled urine and think it works for you just great and fine,you will think differently after reading this knowledge and wisdom this company has to say.
    I know that there are firm Tinks 69 users,and never would think of changing the wheels on there tractor,but,
    You will throw that little brown bottle away if you used this stuff for even one year.
    I also will try and use the synthetic scent by scent sheild...I just think that after reading and understanding the information that I will stay with and use synthetics.
    I will say that on many occassions I have had 5 or more deer all within 20yards with there heads down doing there thing.
    I also have seen what happens to a deer trail when it triples in size.
    I have also seen 6 different 6-8point bucks I have never seen before all recorded on film checking out this trail.
    I can say to be impressed by what scent does is one thing,to be 100% positive what works is another.
    I also can not put enough emphasis on getting winded,or detected by the older mature monster that you may be after.
    Being scent free is a absolute must for me,and I have yet to be truly point blank busted because of scent.
    I hope I can keep it this way.
    All I know is a true booner knows more about staying a booner than the average tinks user.