You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Asking for help about crossbow

I can't **** my new crossbow. What am I missing. I'm a reasonably strong 65 year old. I've been a competition and hunting archer for 40 years but this is my first crossbow. Seems like a nice idea, and I have a friend who will never be able to draw a bow due to injury and this was the suggestion. So I plan to assemble, learn to shoot it, show him, advise him on any regulations, and have a hunting buddy. Only one problem, which is, I can't draw it. It has a 150 pound draw weight, which is not so high for crossbows.

I guess you absolutely have to deadlift 150 pounds over and over without fatigue to be a target shooter with this. I can't do it anymore. I tried the rope ****er, nice idea, but the Barnett unit has a rope so long I'd have to lift the handles over my head. Wrapping the rope around my wrists to shorten it gives dandy rope burns. I know lots of folks enjoy these and I solicit help and advice. Oh yea, my hunting and target bows are both 60 pounds, and at 65 I probably won't add to that. I know smaller people than me do this every day, so there must be something I'm missing.
    Thanks for any suggestions.
    PS: I guess I'm sensored from using the word which means pulling the action or string back until it locks.

My dad had the same problem at first....I asssume you have the stirrup to put your foot in. The mucsles you use to"get the string back" may be different than you normally use. Find a way to build up to the 150 and good luck..
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

There are crank drawing aids out there, don't know your Barnett has one for it or not.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

your not putting it on the bow right . ive done a bunch of those . you have to wrap it over part of the stock before putting it on the string once set up right you can shorten it if necessary . but you will only have to cut off a few inches . you need to take it somewhere for them to show you . i dont have any in stock or i would put a picture on .

my dads crossbow has a hand crank on it and makes things alot eazyer. look into them i belive you can get them on just about any crossbow.
    FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

Thanks for the ideas. It turns out my lack of strength to repeately **** the crossbow was equalled by my weak brain, which didn't see the way to use the rope ****ing device. It works perfectly and easily, when, as one advised, I start by putting the midpoint of the rope over the butt of the stock, then attaching the two hooks. This makes the length just right and ****ing easy. Very happy to see that I can shoot it after all. I have it zeroed and find it to be very accurate, at least at 20 yards. Interesting to benchrest a bow. One hole groups at this short range.
    Now I need some guidance on bolt selection. The ones furnished by Barnett work fine, but may be heavy for the draw weight. There was a note in the package that said the advertised speeds were not using the furnished arrows. Hmmmm. Does Easton or somebody make a bolt selection chart, like I'm used to with arrows?

Thanks again for the replies. I really like this forum.

Mike

Call the manufacturer for assistance before you hurt yourself badly. Crossbows like compounds are under a lot of stored energy. It's not worth loosing a eye or worse over.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    Call the manufacturer for assistance before you hurt yourself badly. Crossbows like compounds are under a lot of stored energy. It's not worth loosing a eye or worse over.
    Yes, I'll talk with the manufacturer. I also like to learn from folks on the forum.

If it sounds to you from my post that I'm about to do something dangerous, please be specific. You are right, there is a lot of energy stored in the bow, and it deserves understanding and proper handling. I thought that was what this forum was about.

Hello,now that you know how to **** it,dont forget to wax the rail with rail wax,and inspect you string after every shot.also wax your string after every session too.Keep an eye on the ****ing rope and its hooks.If its a old crossbow if you break it down make sure you examin the pin aligners and when you put it back together make sure it locks in place,those little snaps can get sticky.....Also when you get the new bolts i prefer the half moons over flat ones,my preference only.....good luck.......

Thank you,
    The bow is new, and came with some wax, which is lighter, more like lip balm than the string wax I use on compounds. In the hot sun it actually runs. Easier to get a good supply into the string I guess. The furnished bolts have the half moon configuration. I'm glad you like them too, since they seem to work just fine. I'll chronograph it soon, but it does not seem to be much faster than my compound, which does 260. This is advertised at 320 or so, so it's probably some faster, even with the heavier bolts.
    I did not see any alignment pins on this Barnett. The pre assembled limbs fit snugly down over a matching male extension on the "riser"? and it fastens with one longitudinal bolt. Seems to me mighty important to keep the torque up on the bolt. The fit is long and snug, and i wonder if this one has the alignment pins you reference. Now that I've been shooting it (and it is surprisingly accurate) and can easily keep it up, I've got more confedence to know what I'm talking about when I ask questions. I got into this for another guy, and now think I probably "need" one for myself. I don't think I'd prefer it to the compound, however, for hunting. Maybe for someone who doesn't want to take the effort and time to learn archery, or like in the case of my friend with the shoulder that will never let him pull a bow.

I haven't phoned the manufacturer yet, but their website doesn't help in the questoin of arrow selection. It appears that the different manufacturers tell you what bolt to use, and if you want a different one get a different brand. I hope it's more scientific than that. I didn't find it on Easton's site either. These Barnett brand bolts are Eastons, and shoot just fine with a 125 gr point. More than enough oomph for the elusive whitetail, and if I can safely use a lighter arrow and get flatter trajectory, I will do it, unless it compromises accuracy. Zero at 20, gives me about 5 inches low at 30 with the same aiming point. It came with a good single red dot sight with brightness adjustment, but I just shot it in late dusk and at the dimmest it still blooms. Of course i couldn't see crosshairs very well in this light either. I do see why the multi wire scope is recommended, but it didn't come with this unit. i might even prefer open sights for hunting, but then couldn't take advantage of the accuracy. I wish I could bench rest my compounds like this and see what they would do. Maybe as good.

WAY too long a post. My fingers are smokin. I'll try to be more brief.
    Thanks to all for the guidance and patience with a newbie in this game.

Mike
    Last edited by cptmclark; 07-20-2008 at 09:42 PM.

As far as bolts go make sure their the length reccomended for your crossbow,say 22" or 20" ect,but brand really shouldnt matter............