You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default fletching yourown arrows$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

ive been looking into fletching and building my own arrows but when looking at the prices of jigs saws shafts and fletching am i realy going to save any money or am i better off just buying complete arrows ??????
    06 mathews switchback xt 70# 27"
    drop away rest
    goldtip 55/75 28" 100 grain tip 377 tg
    speed= tbd
    yardage master sight

speed kills (me and my mathews can prove it)

You will save some money in the long run. However, you will no get your money back in the first couple dozen arrows as you have probably found out. Most people that get into fletching their own arrows do it for the joy or reward of creating them yourself.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default Cost effective?

I agree. I've had the same ACC's for 6 years now, using feathers I haven't had to refletch one, and they still shoot tight groups. If you have a few friends that want to go in together, then it might make it worth your while. Otherwise, you must really love the "technical" side of the sport, I know I do.
    Keith
    NBEF Instructor
    South Dakota - Iowa

Lightbulb start small

Start small don't jump in with both feet if the price is too much. I had 5 arrows with the vanes in bad shape so I bought an inexpensive jig some adhesive and a couple of dozen vanes. Now I have 3 arrows that are split on the end that I can trim, so when it's practicle or I'll get the saw. Besides the guys I shoot with are more than willing to throw me a couple bucks instead of the guy at the bow shop. It's like anything else if I had to layout the money for my 2 rigs all at once I may not have bought them either. Eventually you will save money.

The local Gander Mountain, sells the Bitzenburger w/the clamp jig and receiver for about $60. When I bought mine a few years ago the jig was $79 the clamp was $12, and the receiver was $10. So as for the cost, I think they are pretty reasonable. Of course I have not bought a dozen finished arrows in about 6-8 years. These Bitzenburgers are tough as nails and will last forever I think. I have three and will not use anything else. The place that i get my stuff will do my fletchings for nothing, but he uses the Arizona E-Z fletch ( I think that is what they are called). They are useless unless you need an emergency repair at hunting camp in my opinion.
    I cut things up and split them down!

I agree with bowman, BItzenberger is the way to go. I bought one after borrowing one from a guy at work. they are awesome. They shop I go to will cut them for free If you buy them from him. I had him do it once on some easton axis about two years ago and thats because I wanted to flecth them as soon as I got home. Other than that if you or anyone you know works in a machine shop have them do it. I put a cut off wheel in the surface gringer put a V block and a stop on and go to town.
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Quote Originally Posted by zman43302
    ive been looking into fletching and building my own arrows but when looking at the prices of jigs saws shafts and fletching am i realy going to save any money or am i better off just buying complete arrows ??????
    Personally, I have never looked at building my own arrows as a money saver. It is the same issue as reloading your own ammo.

I have a saw, jig, and all the other stuff. I do it for convenience. All my work is done at home. And, the equipment is there when I need it.

If you can put the money part aside, you'll most likely enjoy building your own.
    Take a kid with you. Show them the Great Outdoors. Pass it on.

Arrow Grayling is a good option.

The Bitz is an excellent jig, but I use a Grayling. I've been using it for a couple of years and it does a great job for half the cost. Some say it is a plastic version of the Bitz.

As for the saw, I use a mini-chop saw that I bought from Harbour Freight for $20. It has worked fine for me, but throw the metal blade that comes with it away and buy an abrasive disk. I found one on ebay for a buck.

Just some advice from an archer on a budget.

You will save money, but the satisfaction of making & shooting your own arrows is priceless.

I'm feeling kinda outdated here, I bought my fletching jig before carbon arrows hit the market. I don't know the name of now but it's plastic Does a great job though I think it was like $15 or so.

I started building my own when I couldn't find any arrows that I liked at a price that I could afford. Long gone were the days of going down to the local sporting goods store and finding arrows for a buck each. It is just a guess, but I imagine those first few arrows only cost me about $20 each !!!

Traditional archery is becoming quite popular at the local blackpowder events.... stick bows and wood arrows.

fletching yourown arrows$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - Beginners Archery Range

Started with a grayling jig and have since gone to the Jo-Jan multi-fletch to do six at a time. Don't sell enough of them to retire, but it helps pay for my other toys.

fletching yourown arrows$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ - Beginners Archery Range