You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: lost arrows

New to archery

Default lost arrows

need some help here, i have gone thru the 3 dozen arrows my brother gave me, (no i dont stop shooting when i get tired and start missing the target, i just keep goin )and i am slowly replaceing them with new ones, old arrows are "easton 2213 superlights xx78 superslam!" and are being replaced with longer shafted "easton 2219 stalkers". i like the stalkers mainly because of the 2 1/2" longer shaft and 1/2" longer fletchings. i have been using 120 grain field points for practice, (same grain as muzzy 90 broad heads) but i was told when i was younger that if u use a different arrow than what was orrigianlly designed for that bow you can ruin the bow and/or the arrow. is that true and are the stalkers a good choice to switch to? thanx -b

Quote Originally Posted by vgvxfm1 View Post
    need some help here, i have gone thru the 3 dozen arrows my brother gave me, (no i dont stop shooting when i get tired and start missing the target, i just keep goin )and i am slowly replaceing them with new ones, old arrows are "easton 2213 superlights xx78 superslam!" and are being replaced with longer shafted "easton 2219 stalkers". i like the stalkers mainly because of the 2 1/2" longer shaft and 1/2" longer fletchings. i have been using 120 grain field points for practice, (same grain as muzzy 90 broad heads) but i was told when i was younger that if u use a different arrow than what was orrigianlly designed for that bow you can ruin the bow and/or the arrow. is that true and are the stalkers a good choice to switch to? thanx -b
    Wow, I'm confused. 120 grains is 120 grains, no matter how you look at it, as is 90 grains. I would suggest that if there is a pro shop anywhere close to you, then you should visit there and have them help you.

you seem young? is this true?

I would assume your getting your new arrows at Wallmart or something.....

120 GR FEILD POINTS ARE NOT THE SAME AS 90GR Muzzy broadheads......

you need to get to a proshop and get yourself setup figured out......

do you notice a differencein point of impact from the 2213, to the 2219??

are you changing arrows, because of the HUGE difference in price??
    I cut things up and split them down!

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

Talking

First off No bow is designed for one specific arrow size. It's all about matching an arrow spine to your setup. In your case you are changing the spine by having a longer arrow and difference in wall thickness. (aluminum arrow numbers mean diameter and wall thickness, i.e:2219 the 22 means 22/64" diam., the 19 means .019" wall thickness) As far as point weight goes you need to shoot the same weight broadheads as field points. And weight is weight, there is going to be a difference if you shoot 125 points and 90 broadheads. The point weight also will drastically effect the arrow spine. With that being said you need to decide what point weight your gonna use and get an arrow to match that and the rest of your setup. Then you stick with it. If you are still "polishing" your shooting skills I would also suggest changing to carbon arrows. They will have a higher rate of survival than aluminum if you miss. An aluminum arrow is bent after just a few shots even when hitting the target. So when you miss it's done. So go to your proshop get a correctly spined arrow and you should be all set. Hope I helped ya out.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain19 View Post
    First off No bow is designed for one specific arrow size. It's all about matching an arrow spine to your setup. In your case you are changing the spine by having a longer arrow and difference in wall thickness. (aluminum arrow numbers mean diameter and wall thickness, i.e:2219 the 22 means 22/64" diam., the 19 means .019" wall thickness) As far as point weight goes you need to shoot the same weight broadheads as field points. And weight is weight, there is going to be a difference if you shoot 125 points and 90 broadheads. The point weight also will drastically effect the arrow spine. With that being said you need to decide what point weight your gonna use and get an arrow to match that and the rest of your setup. Then you stick with it. If you are still "polishing" your shooting skills I would also suggest changing to carbon arrows. They will have a higher rate of survival than aluminum if you miss. An aluminum arrow is bent after just a few shots even when hitting the target. So when you miss it's done. So go to your proshop get a correctly spined arrow and you should be all set. Hope I helped ya out.

Nicely STATED!!!!

Except point weight drastically affecting spine.......it will affect it slightly.....

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    Nicely STATED!!!!

Except point weight drastically affecting spine.......it will affect it slightly.....
    It effects aluminum point of impact more than carbon. If you change from 100 to 125 in an aluminum there will be a larger effect on the deflection than a carbon. Simply cause aluminum is actually less rigid and the greater amount of deflection allows it to have more reaction with less weight. This also will effect the recovery out of the bow. So it's a matter of opinion whether it's drastic or minor. To me it's minor on Carbon and drastic on aluminum.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain19 View Post
    It effects aluminum point of impact more than carbon. If you change from 100 to 125 in an aluminum there will be a larger effect on the deflection than a carbon. Simply cause aluminum is actually less rigid and the greater amount of deflection allows it to have more reaction with less weight. This also will effect the recovery out of the bow. So it's a matter of opinion whether it's drastic or minor. To me it's minor on Carbon and drastic on aluminum.
    who shoots aluminums anymore??

No offense, but I'm not sure that you shooting a bow is safe.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.

New to archery

sry for the confusion, i ment i was changing from 125 grain fields to 90 grain to match the broadheads, and i enjoy the new arrows, (also cant afford the cost of the other ones atm) and for now im just honing, would have liked to go hunting this season, but alas, you need cash for a hunting licenses here in pa, again sry for the confusion and by the way slippy, i dont like you lol

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy View Post
    No offense, but I'm not sure that you shooting a bow is safe.
    Slippy, be nice we were all newbies once.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

vgvxfm1- Happy shooting and welcome to the 3Dshoots family There are alot of guys here that can answer alot of questions please feel free to ask!
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

New to archery

Exclamation slip up slippy

um, slippy can say anything he/she/it wants to, as long as he/she/it doesn't mind getting verbally and intellectually abused. i really don't have a problem with him/her/it. (sry but i have not quite figured out what slippy is) by the way slippy, your comments in another thread about crossbows in archery season were well informed and actually enjoyable to read. i look forward to more comments like that from you no but really, all in jest. i have a lot of practice to do and a lot to learn,( ) so the more i can pick y'alls minds that would be great

-B

quit shooting when your tired. You'll relize that it gets really expensive when you do that. My arrows are 7 bux an arrow and i quit shooting the same dot along with shooting when im tired. not worth it. A lot of people on here also taught me that no need to rush the shot, you can take your time and make the shot count
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

First of all keep in mind that shooting improper arrows can be very dangerous to the bow and to yourself.

dodgensince74

here i thought he was going to ask for advice on how to keep from loosing them and I was going to tell him to a gps tracking chip installed on them

sry for the confusion, i ment i was changing from 125 grain fields to 90 grain to match the broadheads, and i enjoy the new arrows, (also cant afford the cost of the other ones atm) and for now im just honing, would have liked to go hunting this season, but alas, you need cash for a hunting licenses here in pa, again sry for the confusion and by the way slippy, i dont like you lol
    where in pa do you live i live in pa and am now worried about where i hunt lol! no punt intended but were abouts do you live and welcome
    Scott's string-staff shooter
    hunters hand-staff shooter
    Higley's Archery- shooter
    2008 Mathews Switchback XT
    Mathews Ovation blubbery

New to archery

red man, i live near ****burgh, i mean pittsburgh. if u want to know exactly pm me, i dont want to give away my addy and have all of 3d shoots in my backyard/woods picking up all my arrows :P

red man, i live near ****burgh, i mean pittsburgh. if u want to know exactly pm me, i dont want to give away my addy and have all of 3d shoots in my backyard/woods picking up all my arrows :P
    could you narrow it down like if you live north say northside sportsmen for the closest 3d for west say 5 points for east say crows foot south cannonburghs sportsmens or falcons

New to archery

Default uh...

monroeville sportsman's club, and they just had a 3d shoot on sunday the 3rd, unfortunately i didnt find out about it till the 4th
    Last edited by vgvxfm1; 08-08-2008 at 09:01 PM. Reason: wrong name

Default hiya vg

monroeville sportsman's club, and they just had a 3d shoot on sunday the 3rd, unfortunately i didnt find out about it till the 4th
    First off to the forum
    Ive been working with alluminum and carbon for 30 years
    and ive shot and built both 2213 and 2219
    before menctioned is true theres a big difference in weight because of wall thickness of the alluminum in the 2219
    the part about minor or drastistic change is both
    depends on what your doing.
    a drastic change that would be dangeorus is takeing a 30in 2213 with a 150gr pt and shooting it off a 70lb bow..you could disinigrate and arrow and get hurt. if you dont do that it will bend after a few shots

the thickness of the arrow couldnt handle the weight on the front.
    it would flex to much and could break (this is your spine, or backbone of your arrow)
    I need to know what your bow poundage is set at..what bow your shooting year if ya know it.
    your arrow length ..just measure total i can tell.
    and ill tell ya what alluminum you should be shooting.with what point wt.
    to get the best proformance out of your set-up

but i can tell you this right now
    if you were shoooting 2213 and swithed to 2219 you aint hurtin nothin on your bow.
    because you just added a whole lot of arrow weight,and spine.
    and since your sticking to alluminum..get a metal detector you'll find them/
    have a great hunting season
    Last edited by kbohunt; 08-09-2008 at 03:37 AM.
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A