You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Arrow Advice Needed

For any of you who use light arrows or know about them: I need to achieve 280 FPS pulling less than 54#'s so I need a light arrow with my bow. I used Lightspeed 3D's this year and was ok with them. On another forum I was told there were better light arrows out there but not which ones. I recently tried Victory but don't think they are the answer.
    Do any of you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Bochim

Quote Originally Posted by Bochim View Post
    For any of you who use light arrows or know about them: I need to achieve 280 FPS pulling less than 54#'s so I need a light arrow with my bow. I used Lightspeed 3D's this year and was ok with them. On another forum I was told there were better light arrows out there but not which ones. I recently tried Victory but don't think they are the answer.
    Do any of you have any recommendations? Thanks in advance.
    Bochim
    What bow is it, what is the IBO rating??

whats your draw length?? Current arrow weight??

why do you need to achieve 280???
    I cut things up and split them down!

He who eats fuzzy animals pred8er's Avatar

Depending on what weight arrow your shooting now, a lighter arrow may not be the answer. You CAN go too light and end up damaging your bow. Bunny asked some good questions. Answer those and we'll be able to help you more!
    That look on my face is not concern, its shock at your utter stupidity!

Check out Redneckarcher.com. It's an adult archer/hunting site that feels like hunt camp.

Default Questions answered

Ok, My bow is a Hoyt Seven37 at 54#, 28" draw length. IBO on the bow is a very conservative (in my opinion) 315 fps. 284 FPS is achieved with the Lightspeed 3D arrows at 320 grains. The speed is for ASA tournaments.
    I am looking for an arrow between 6 and 6.5 grains per inch at a spine of 400 to 500.
    Thanks,
    Bochim

http://www.carbonexpressarrows.com/p...3dselectt.html
    click on the "specs", the weight is right where you wanted. Exellent arrows.
    Last edited by red44; 07-27-2008 at 10:22 PM.
    FBSA Member

Ok, My bow is a Hoyt Seven37 at 54#, 28" draw length. IBO on the bow is a very conservative (in my opinion) 315 fps. 284 FPS is achieved with the Lightspeed 3D arrows at 320 grains. The speed is for ASA tournaments.
    I am looking for an arrow between 6 and 6.5 grains per inch at a spine of 400 to 500.
    Thanks,
    Bochim
    why are you changing from the lightspeeds?

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

Well I have spent some time with my spine selection program (On Target2) Though you are searching for light weight you have to select an arrow with correct spine. You also must have a finished arrow that weighs at least 5 gr. per pound of draw weight. If you go less than 5 you are beating on the bow. With that in mind You are going to be hard pressed to achieve 280 fps. The fact that your pulling 54# makes it very hard throughout most of the bows available. The lightest arrow with a good matching spine for you as far as acheiving 280 was a Victory VForce V6 200, and Carbon Tech Cheetah Hunter 35/60. But you said you were not fond of Victory and Carbon tech is not exactly "one of the best". So the next lightest from those is Carbon express Maxima 150. Bare Shaft @ 27" weighs in at 170.6 gr = 266.5fps. The next best arrow is Light speed 3D @ 27" comes in at 176.3 gr.= 263.1fps. The speed numbers are just a reference to exemplefy the gain. Actual speed will differ. So for the little bit of gain it may be wise to stay where your at.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Default Good point

Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    why are you changing from the lightspeeds?
    I am beginning to ask myself that same question!!
    Bochim

This thread has me confused!!

If you're looking for a lighter arrow you'll get even faster won't you, and you're saying you need to be below 280 for the ASA shoot? If you're shooting 284 with what you've got now I'd say your pretty close, maybe add a little weight to your current arrow and you'll be set.

No need to change anything IMO, if I got the facts straight...but I'm sick so maybe I'm just in left field...

me
    Mathews Staff Shooter Northern Dutchess Archery & Sportsman Supply - www.ndarchery.com

TruBall & Axcel & Dead Center Archery Shooter Staff

Quote Originally Posted by Captain19 View Post
    Well I have spent some time with my spine selection program (On Target2) Though you are searching for light weight you have to select an arrow with correct spine. You also must have a finished arrow that weighs at least 5 gr. per pound of draw weight. If you go less than 5 you are beating on the bow. With that in mind You are going to be hard pressed to achieve 280 fps. The fact that your pulling 54# makes it very hard throughout most of the bows available. The lightest arrow with a good matching spine for you as far as acheiving 280 was a Victory VForce V6 200, and Carbon Tech Cheetah Hunter 35/60. But you said you were not fond of Victory and Carbon tech is not exactly "one of the best". So the next lightest from those is Carbon express Maxima 150. Bare Shaft @ 27" weighs in at 170.6 gr = 266.5fps. The next best arrow is Light speed 3D @ 27" comes in at 176.3 gr.= 263.1fps. The speed numbers are just a reference to exemplefy the gain. Actual speed will differ. So for the little bit of gain it may be wise to stay where your at.
    Captain,

How does the Gold Tip Ultralite Pro 500 fit in here? I know at his specs the 500 might be a little light in the spine department, but if just for 3D it might work. I shoot them at 27" with 80 grain target tip, 3 2" duravanes, and they weigh in at 267 grains total arrow weight. Right at the 5 gr/lb minimum if he would want to shoot IBO.

I don't know everything, but if he wants a larger diameter arrow he could pop up to a GT UL 22 series. I have these at 27", 80 gr glue-ins, 4" feathers and they weigh in at right around 300 grains. They're mighty stiff for my bow (53#, 27" draw), but curiously they tune pretty well. I even get away with broadheads with them.

If the weight is close I can't see the reason to change from the Litespeeds, though. I shot them a few years ago and they are pretty decent arrows. They speced out a lot better than advertised for straightness and weight.

I'm also at a loss as to why Bochim is looking for more speed. At 284 he's pretty much where he should be. Close to the 288 fps max. Not much to be gained by going faster except maybe a DQ if the chrono goes over the 288 max.
    Martin/Rytera Silver Star Shooter
    UBP Life Member
    PSAA Life Member
    Worldwide Scuba Diver

not to be pushy but if your arrows are shooting well, speed sound good, I would leave well enough alone. I shoot at 260 fps but I konw if my yardage estmation is right and my pin is on I will hit a 11 everytime. I just cant keep my pin on the 11 everytime

I have fooled around with alot of stuff on my bow as far as speed goes and always seam to come back to where I started. But That is just IMHO. happy shooting.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by NerdHick View Post
    This thread has me confused!!

If you're looking for a lighter arrow you'll get even faster won't you, and you're saying you need to be below 280 for the ASA shoot? If you're shooting 284 with what you've got now I'd say your pretty close, maybe add a little weight to your current arrow and you'll be set.

No need to change anything IMO, if I got the facts straight...but I'm sick so maybe I'm just in left field...

me
    I find myself confused on occasion by a variety of things, and I always appreciate replies to my few posts.

I am not looking for a lighter arrow, necessarily, just a different one if a better one is available.

No, I don't need to be below 280 fps.

Bochim

Banned

Have you looked at the Gold Tip Ultralight Series 22 yet??

Quote Originally Posted by SinGin View Post
    Have you looked at the Gold Tip Ultralight Series 22 yet??
    Actually, no, I'll check them out, thanks.
    Steve

Are you looking for a linecutter? If so I shoot the Gold Tip X-Cutter, Pros are 001- 7.8 GPI - Ultra light X-cutters are .005 -7.8 GPI
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

I find myself confused on occasion by a variety of things, and I always appreciate replies to my few posts.

I am not looking for a lighter arrow, necessarily, just a different one if a better one is available.

No, I don't need to be below 280 fps.

Bochim
    Well Carbon Express, Gold Tip, and Easton are all good arrows so I guess it's upto you. It's a chevy or ford thing I like Carbon Express and a Gold tip may shoot just as well but I got what was available and it works good. I guess just look at what the majority of the winning pro's shoot and maybe that will be a good indicator. (As long as there not there sponsor....LOL) Good Luck

Member of the FBSA

Quote Originally Posted by bfisher View Post
    Captain,

How does the Gold Tip Ultralite Pro 500 fit in here? I know at his specs the 500 might be a little light in the spine department, but if just for 3D it might work. I shoot them at 27" with 80 grain target tip, 3 2" duravanes, and they weigh in at 267 grains total arrow weight. Right at the 5 gr/lb minimum if he would want to shoot IBO.

I don't know everything, but if he wants a larger diameter arrow he could pop up to a GT UL 22 series. I have these at 27", 80 gr glue-ins, 4" feathers and they weigh in at right around 300 grains. They're mighty stiff for my bow (53#, 27" draw), but curiously they tune pretty well. I even get away with broadheads with them.

If the weight is close I can't see the reason to change from the Litespeeds, though. I shot them a few years ago and they are pretty decent arrows. They speced out a lot better than advertised for straightness and weight.

I'm also at a loss as to why Bochim is looking for more speed. At 284 he's pretty much where he should be. Close to the 288 fps max. Not much to be gained by going faster except maybe a DQ if the chrono goes over the 288 max.
    I was just looking at what spined at 27" with the least weight. (considering his 28" draw you can go about 1" less). I did this cause I was confused and thought he wanted a Lighter arrow too. I did'nt notice your arrow it may have spined but may not have been 1 of the lightest. If you ever want me too check anything on my program by all means ask I will be happy to do it for anyone.
    Last edited by Captain19; 07-29-2008 at 07:59 PM.

Member of the FBSA

Have you looked at the high country 5.5 if you cut them to 29'' they would be closes

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    Have you looked at the high country 5.5 if you cut them to 29'' they would be closes
    I checked Bochim's setup to the High Country 5.5 and at 29" the spine is extremely stiff. If I am not mistaken they are 40 Ton carbon which allows them to be thin wall and yet strong because of it they are really stiff. Even pulling 70 Lbs with a 125gr. tip they are .070" stiff. I would'nt recomend it based on the spine. I have'nt heard too much about these arrows other than the stories of blowing up bows because they are to light.

Member of the FBSA

I try them shoting 60lb and grouped good 2'' groups @ 40 yards 28'' 268 grains 75 grains tip just a little to light for my set up