You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Need A Target Bow...which One?

Here is my problem...

I have my hunting bow, a nice Hoyt Vectrix...and I shoot decent with it, but I would love to get into spot shooting, and get a scope and see just how consistent/accurate I could get. My Vectrix is a bit too heavy for me, and I would like to get a 60# bow rather than my 70# Hoyt. Here are my options:

1. Matthews Drenalin LD
    2. BowTech Commander
    3. PSE MoneyMaker

It will be a 60# mod, and like I said, I want it to be perfect, because the Hoyt and this new one will be the only bows I have for many many years to come.

Also, what scopes/sights do you recommend...what power for shooting at 20-40 yards?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

D-flex riser bow like Apex, Protec. The Money Maker may also fit that. A Rival Pro too. Speed means nothing, forgiveness everything.
    FBSA Member

your leaving out a very important bow in this line up.....

Mathews Conquest 4

but of those, I would most likely go with the money maker, if spots is your poison
    I cut things up and split them down!

the 2008 commander is very nice and forgiving.........

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post

Mathews Conquest 4

but of those, I would most likely go with the money maker, if spots is your poison
    If I choose the conquest 4...what type of scope/power do you recommend? I will be shooting from 20-40 yards...and I'd like it to be as diverse as possible, while still giving me a great look at the X. I know Black Eagle will be the best, but what power then? Also, any cheaper alternatives that are close to the black eagle quality?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Mathews Conquest 4

I would agree with Bunny on the Conquest 4. That's a nice bow.

However if spots are your poison you need to check out a used Mathews Ovation. There are a LOT of them out there for really good prices. And the Mathews drop away rest works flawlessly with that bow. It's a longer ata bow with about an 8" brace height. It's not relatively fast but it's really stable in your hand and has a really smooth draw.

Try and shoot as many as you can and ignore the manufacturer names. Just because you may hunt with a Hoyt may not necessarily mean that buying another Hoyt for target is the right thing to do. For target you need to get a bow that really feels good to you.

And somebody said that speed means nothing for spots. That's exactly right. Stability and comfort are the top considerations.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 07-29-2008 at 12:31 AM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Mathews Conquest 4

Your right, any of the Conquest series would be a good choice. Max cam or minimax.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Your right, any of the Conquest series would be a good choice. Max cam or minimax.
    Depending on draw length I would go Mini Max......

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    If I choose the conquest 4...what type of scope/power do you recommend? I will be shooting from 20-40 yards...and I'd like it to be as diverse as possible, while still giving me a great look at the X. I know Black Eagle will be the best, but what power then? Also, any cheaper alternatives that are close to the black eagle quality?
    one, really has nothing to do with the other.......

I like 4 power for spots......I like 0-2 power for 3-D.......

I dont find that I shoot 3D any better or worse with a lense.....

however, the dissadvantage of having a blurry lense when it rains, is what I consider more......

I really like the Viper and Extreme line of scopes.........

although your correct, the Black Eagle's are the BEST......

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

one, really has nothing to do with the other.......

I like 4 power for spots......I like 0-2 power for 3-D.......

I dont find that I shoot 3D any better or worse with a lense.....

however, the dissadvantage of having a blurry lense when it rains, is what I consider more......

I really like the Viper and Extreme line of scopes.........

although your correct, the Black Eagle's are the BEST......
    I also Like the Viper scopes, they are well built and offer the .010" pin for spot shooting. Good fiber optics too. I also agree on the lense powers suggested. I use a 4x cause my eyes are bad, but I can see when you look thru it,....could play mind games and make you second guess your yardage, the 2x keeps you a bit more ohnest. As a foot note the viper lenses are the same size as HHA B kit Lenses. Also keep in mind some eyes dont agree with lenses by themselves. The target may just magnify as a blur. Thankfully there is a cure....a clarifier. If you should need one I suggest the super ball peep from Specialty archery. They have a clarifier that screws into the ball peep housing. So if you decide to shoot without a lens (if it's raining) you can use a allen key to remove the clarifier insert and shoot it as a regular peep without having to remove it from the string. Clarifier and peep Housing together only weighs 14.5 gr. I got one and I love it.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain19 View Post
    I also Like the Viper scopes, they are well built and offer the .010" pin for spot shooting. Good fiber optics too. I also agree on the lense powers suggested. I use a 4x cause my eyes are bad, but I can see when you look thru it,....could play mind games and make you second guess your yardage, the 2x keeps you a bit more ohnest. As a foot note the viper lenses are the same size as HHA B kit Lenses. Also keep in mind some eyes dont agree with lenses by themselves. The target may just magnify as a blur. Thankfully there is a cure....a clarifier. If you should need one I suggest the super ball peep from Specialty archery. They have a clarifier that screws into the ball peep housing. So if you decide to shoot without a lens (if it's raining) you can use a allen key to remove the clarifier insert and shoot it as a regular peep without having to remove it from the string. Clarifier and peep Housing together only weighs 14.5 gr. I got one and I love it.

How do I know which clarifier to get? Everyone around here only sells hunting bows and neglect spot shooting. So, I have to buy a bow basically without ever feeling the cam, then I have to pic the sight/scope without knowing how they work together. NOONE stocks target shooting equipment, so it is all specialty orders only.

So, 4X for spot shooting...with a clarifier....that should make me deadly from 20-30 for spots on indoor/nice days? Is it worth getting a scope for those distances, or if I get a nice bow with an A2A of 37 or more, with its poundage around 56-60, and just have great form...I should be equally as accurate?

Right now, I am shifting towards a Drenalin LD, an Apex 7, or a Moneymaker...although I am not a fan of PSE. The LD sure does feel nice, the cam is so smooth and it is nice and light so I shouldn't get tired holding it for 6-8 seconds while lining up...but, you all on here say that the more traditional bows (C4 and Moneymaker) are better for target shooting, even though the non-parralel limbs will cause the bow to "jump more"...
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

How do I know which clarifier to get? Everyone around here only sells hunting bows and neglect spot shooting. So, I have to buy a bow basically without ever feeling the cam, then I have to pic the sight/scope without knowing how they work together. NOONE stocks target shooting equipment, so it is all specialty orders only.

So, 4X for spot shooting...with a clarifier....that should make me deadly from 20-30 for spots on indoor/nice days? Is it worth getting a scope for those distances, or if I get a nice bow with an A2A of 37 or more, with its poundage around 56-60, and just have great form...I should be equally as accurate?

Right now, I am shifting towards a Drenalin LD, an Apex 7, or a Moneymaker...although I am not a fan of PSE. The LD sure does feel nice, the cam is so smooth and it is nice and light so I shouldn't get tired holding it for 6-8 seconds while lining up...but, you all on here say that the more traditional bows (C4 and Moneymaker) are better for target shooting, even though the non-parralel limbs will cause the bow to "jump more"...

I shot an ORIGINAL Switchback for a long while and loved that no recoil/jump/vibration feeling.......

I ordered a Prestige for more speed, and at first I hated the feel of that bow, then, after about a week and an STS, I relized, heck this bow shoots lights out.......

I then took a look and relized, I work a little harder to shoot the Prestige than the Switchback, that in turn makes me FOCUS more on the shot.....

and I can FEEL the bad shots when they happen alot easier now.....

I then liked the GRIP AREA on the Prestige so much, that got a C4 and set it up for indoor.......Love the bow and understand why so many TOP guys shoot it for 3d.....

its a tack Driver if I do my part........

and another thing, I also liked the shorter ATA bows for a long while......

my new hunting bow is a DLD, not short by any means........at 37" its not even my shortest bow at this point

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

If you go with Specialty archery"s Super Ball peep setup you can use a # 1 clarifier. This is suitable to work with 2x and 4x lenses. The peep housing is available in Black, Blue, Red, Green, and Silver. The peep is like $15 to $20 and the clarifier is around $25. You just need to figure out if you need the 37 or 45 degree string groove. The specialty archery catalog has a chart to figure it out. As far as what bow to choose well you gotta shoot em to really know which one is gonna be the one for you. Oh and so you know if no one sells Super ball peeps in your area you can buy direct from Specialty archery. There website is www.specailtyarch.com
    Last edited by Captain19; 07-30-2008 at 07:35 PM.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Smile Vote for Commander

I have a black marble commander that has been great for me. Sure loc sight and DMI Expert II rest has been super reliable. Changed to ProStrings with a spectra d-loop from ProString (zero stretch) and never ever tweak it. I keep 2 sure loc sights for it. One scoped for dots with a long bar and a single pin fiber with a short bar for screen shooting and 3d. I like the true ball peep with a clarifier for the scope and change it to straight peep the rest of the time. I also changed the cable slide to a simms. I do not need a wrist strap as it is only 60# and totally dead after the shot. Not real fast, but accurate if the bow weight isn't too much for you. I also usually shoot without a stab now. Vbars and a stab would be great and likely would pick up a few points untill I got too tired to hold it well. Shel

I am shooting the X-6 for 3D and spots. So far it is the best "one for all" that I have shot. The cams are aggressive and I have heard that the Moneymaker is the same way. If you do not like the X-force feel then the Moneymaker is probably not what you are looking for.

I do not think that the bow will matter as much compared to how much you practice. I bet any of the pro's can pick up any bow and shoot spots with it. No matter what the brace height, speed, ATA etc. is. Just an opinion though. I was watching the Vegas 2008 shoot off video posted in AT I think and I do not think I saw too many rigs that were the same, and they are sponsored.
    Rhino
    Michigan
    2007 X-Force 6
    28"/53 lbs
    X-Weave Pro 100's

If I were to go with a C4...what is the difference between the Max cam and the Minimax?

1. What are the let-offs for each
    2. What is the speed difference
    3. Which is smoother
    28.5" DL
    4. Which is better in your opinion and why?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Default ha there

Ive got an 07 pse mojo for sale on e-bay all set up on 62lbs 28.5imch draw
    make me an offer.
    if you like ill think about it.
    Need A Target Bow...which One? - Beginners Archery Range
    pm me if you like
    kenny
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

That is one sharp looking Mojo! Love the color.
    Mathews Switchback 63# 29"
    Victory Arrows and FOBs!

i shoot a mathews and just shot the pse money maker and loved it looking for a target bow on sale too. what are you asking for the pse mojo?

Default hi

Quote Originally Posted by bow66 View Post
    i shoot a mathews and just shot the pse money maker and loved it looking for a target bow on sale too. what are you asking for the pse mojo?
    $ 950.00 firm..complete rig
    make it quick its on e-bay with people watching it.
    its sold in 4 days
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A