You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Biggest slap in the face

Is this about the biggest slap in the face.

Rising Oil Prices Lift Exxon to Record Profit

By JULIA WERDIGIER
    Published: August 1, 2008
    Profits at oil companies this quarter continued to reflect oil prices that almost doubled in the second quarter from the year earlier.

Skip to next paragraph Add to Portfolio
    Exxon Mobil Corp

Royal Dutch Shell Plc

Go to your Portfolio »
    Exxon Mobil on Thursday reported that second-quarter profit rose 14 percent, to $11.68 billion, the highest-ever profit by an American company. Exxon broke its own record.

The profit of $2.22 a share compared with $10.26 billion, or $1.83 a share, in the quarter a year ago.

Earlier in London, Royal Dutch Shell, Europe’s largest oil company, reported a 33 percent increase in second-quarter profit on Thursday, helped by a higher oil price even as production declined.

Like a smaller rival BP earlier this week, Shell profited from higher oil prices, but a 13 percent drop from a record on July 11 raised some concern among investors about whether oil companies can keep up the pace of earnings growth. BP said earlier this week that higher oil prices have started to affect consumer demand for gasoline.

Shell’s profit rose to $11.56 billion from $8.67 billion in the period a year ago. BP reported a 28 percent increase in profit earlier this week and the Italian oil company Eni said on Thursday that profit in the second quarter rose 52 percent.

Oil companies are under pressure to find new reserves as their traditional fields age and are face increasing competition from state-run oil companies in Russia and the Middle East. Shell is also looking to make up for production lost in Nigeria, where militants attacked an offshore production vessel in June, and in Russia, where it had to sell its share in the Sakhalin Island oil and natural gas project to state-controlled energy company OAO Gazprom last year.

Oil and gas production fell to 3,126 thousand barrels of oil equivalent a day from 3,178 thousand barrels.

Shell’s chief executive Jeroen van der Veer pledged to continue investing to spur growth. “Shell is making substantial, targeted investments to grow the company for shareholders and help ensure that energy markets remain well supplied,” Mr. van der Veer said in a statement Thursday.

The company agreed two weeks ago to spend about $5.9 billion to buy Duvernay Oil Corporation of Canada to increase its gas production from tough rock formations and is in talks with Iraq about some service contracts.

I heard that our vehicles only consume only 1-2% of the global fuel supply. He said that the military takes a very large portion of it.
    Sniper mode is on!

One can survive everything, nowadays, except death, and live down everything except a good reputation.

cnn says oil co, make $90,000 a min profit . thats just wrong.

As long as we keep buying gasoline at outrageous prices they will continue to sell it. I know in this day and age it's almost impossible to do anything without oil. I remember a few fellas that threw a bunch of tea in a harbor once because they were being taxed to much. Might be time for the citizens of this great country to stand up and be heard. I can tell ya how I would handle this oil cost to other country's start chargin em a $1,000 a bushel for corn. I read an interesting article the other day in regards to how much oil would it take to buy the United States? Believe it or not it would be very easily accomplished by the oil reserves alone in 2 country's one of them being Iran and the other Saudi Arabia. The whole thing kinda makes me want to hurl...
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

dodgensince74

the oil companies are smart, they make sure anyone that gets elected into office is some one they can control one way or another. They have been doing it since back in the 70's, I think it was when they got the goverment to deregulate them, they knew what they were doing back then also.