You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Nebraska DIY Mulies

I am taking off to northwestern nebraska in the last part of october and the first part of november. Does anyone have any knowledge of some tracts of either federal or state land that would be a good place to start a hunt? I am not expecting to find a 30 incher on every flat but I would like to seed a decent buck or 2. I have looked at a few of the state areas on the internet and some of them seem interesting but like all public land hunts I am worried about pressure from other hunters.

any input is appriciated

thanks
    Marc

I'm not familiar with that area, but a place to start is contacting some pro shops and start asking a lot of questions. Not just one place, but a few and you should get a better idea of how to put yourself in good position. You can always start by observing and then try to pinpoint a position to move into.

Pine Ridge area and the Ogalla (spelling?) Grasslands would both be good places to start. I prefer the Pine Ridge area because their is a little more cover for Bowhunting.

Pressure during Archery season is not a big problem.

Dan
    Maker of MEANV STRING SUPPRESSORS
    MAITLAND BOW DEALER
    Dealer for Slick Tricks, Vapor Trail Limb Driver & Strings, HHA sights, Viper Sights, etc.
    www.meanvarchery.com

thanks for the input MeanV2. it looks like I am making the trip by myself. I am planning on hunting the Chadron area. Metcalf and Pine Ridge are definitly on my list. I am heading up aroung the 23rd of october and coming back around the 6th of November.

for tactics I will do what I normally do on public ground.... hunt the other hunters and try to take advantage of their mistakes. Its worked in the past. Aside from that I am trying to find access to fringe areas.

Any input anyone has on these areas is appriciated.

Marc

Quote Originally Posted by MeanV2 View Post
    Pine Ridge area and the Ogalla (spelling?) Grasslands would both be good places to start. I prefer the Pine Ridge area because their is a little more cover for Bowhunting.

Pressure during Archery season is not a big problem.

Dan