You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Default reply

Hey, I was just watching Hank Parker 3D TV. His son shot a big old buck through the liver on a quartering shot and lodged the swhacker in the vitals...but the arrow only penetrated about half way down the shaft. It entered from behind the ribs which should have been a very soft shot. It was at 30 yards(they said). If he didn't bust any bones, why did it only go so shallow? The deer died, but the swacker did not go deep. They look iffy. It performed, but I doubt the broadhead after seeing that.

The swacker broadhead is the current sonoran broadhead made here in Az. I just got off the phone with Rick the Owner of Sonoran and they combined companies to form Swacker. The 2 blade broadhead is held together in flight with shrink tubing and the blades are made in germany and are super sharp. I shot a deer with the broadhead at 42 yds and he went approx. 20ft before expiring. They fly very well and are a well made broadhead with thick blades. If you want to buy some go on to sonoran broadhead site and buy the 2 blade 100 or 125 gr head. The design of the head will not change only the company name. The change should take place by mid fall ie. Nov or Dec.
    Hope this clears things up and give the sonoran/swacker head a try you will not be dissatisfied.
    Hoyt Maxxis 35
    Hoyt Carbon Matrix
    Vapor Trail Strings Pro Staff
    Mile High Archery

Huntin Junkie

O rings on the rage are easily replaced and pretty cheap. Things do wear out and need to be replaced. Also, anything mechanical that can malfunction, will malfunction at some point.

I guess that if one shot out of 50 does not open and only wound the deer, that is still better than 5 out of 50 with a fixed blade. There is no such thing that a perfect boradhead or bow. If there was, that is all that anyone would own. I think that the Rage is still a bit better than the pointed rock that was used 150 years ago.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Quote Originally Posted by jojobama12 View Post
    if been hearin alot about these swacker broadheads and was wandering if they were any good and if so are they better than the rage broadhead????
    is there any where you can get the swacker BH besides of the tv
    Scott's string-staff shooter
    hunters hand-staff shooter
    Higley's Archery- shooter
    2008 Mathews Switchback XT
    Mathews Ovation blubbery

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    O i know the damage they can do ive see it.
    But rockets do the same.and have been alot longer than rage has
    thats why ppl dont change when something works
    when it stops then they change.or atleast i do..lol
    my nephew just got out of collage 2 tears ago
    i got him into bowhuntin when he was 16
    and he's an engeneer so he buys all top quality stuff.
    he went on tha bandwagon with rage and his 4 buddys that he bowhunts with
    they even went out and leased 400acres of farm land at the base of a mountain to bowhunt only on..
    there what i call high class red-necks with there big 4-wheelers and all
    anyway .
    He and one of his buddys switched to rage.
    he was shooting rockets before and switched becausethey say rage makes a bigger whole.in a deer ..lmao
    and his buddy was useing muzzys and was trying his first mechinicals.
    they both in 2 days had a problem on the shot with the rage.
    my nephew shot a 10pt in the 145class the first day of hunting season.
    ive allready told everyone this last year..but ill do it 1 more time lol
    he shot the deer at 28yds.quatering away..the arrow passed thru the deer and stuck in the ground on the other side.
    he called me to drive 55miles and ask me to track for him.
    he was very nervious and told me he made a great hit.i believed him.
    he said at the shot the deer bolted off down a powerline and never stopped.
    when i got there wasnt much blood and the broadhead looked like it didnt open.
    we found the deer about 150yds up the powerline the hit was high at the top of both lungs..the deer just exploded and ran till he was dead on his feet.
    the whole in the deer on both sides was around the size of a nickle or a little bigger..the rage did its job by killing the deer but my nephew..( john )
    Well he is now an anti-rage kinda guy.
    I havent tryed them so i dont care what ppl shoot..i know what i shoot allways works..so far..( Knock on wood )
    This broadhead he shot the deer with came stright out of the package
    he checked to see if it worked fine and it did..it just didnt open on this deer.
    His buddy ( ray ) shot a doe with a new one out of the package..a couple days later checked the same broadhead thought it was fine..tryed to shoot another deer with the same one..this time it was a small 8pt ..it didnt open this time..they didnt find the deer.
    he now shoots muzzys and wont even touch a mechinical..i told him try rockets or anything and he wont.
    so rage is giveing ppl a bad taste in there mouth..in some places as you can see.
    I think its a pretty good broadhead myself..but like anything i want consistancy.when it comes to killing an animal..i aint got time to blame a broadhead my time in the woods is to important to me..
    Anytime ya need some shoot me a pm i think there like 26.99 for 3 around here.
    have a great bowseason
    kenny
    Were these the 2 or 3 blade? I just some 2 blade, and now I'm nervous.
    Sling Braid Custom Bow Slings!!!

FBSA Member

I recently purchased the Swhacker broadhead and found several things that I did not like. According to the tv commercial and the website the swhacker has a 2 1/4" cut but when I recieved mine it was only a 1 3/4" cut. A half inch is a very big difference. Also they never mention any o-ring or shrink tube that hold the blades closed. I sent an email to the Swhacker company asking about returning them (since they aren't what was advertised) about two weeks ago and am still waiting for a reply. The broadhead is probably a good broadhead but after all the problems and the lack of customer support, I'm very dissapointed and have little faith in them and would never puchase another pack.

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    dont get me wrong chris, i love them too, but i may have had a bad batch, i think they did have a couple bad runs with the blades not opening. How about them crimson talons?
    ive had very good luck with the crimson talons excellent blood trail and shoot very accurately

im not really a big rage fan.
    Hoyt Kobalt 57#
    26 Draw Length
    Sword Twilight Hunter
    Cobra DiamondBack
    Maxima 250`s

dreco

Default Mechanical vs. Fixed Broadheads

I am perfectly satisfied with shooting G5 Montecs, and see no advantage to mechanicals of any brand.

I only shoot animals standing broadside within 30 yards, and 1 1/16" entrance and exit holes are sufficient for producing good blood trails. They are dependable, fly accurate, I have complete confidence and proven performance. What more does one need?

dreco
    Last edited by dreco; 08-14-2009 at 11:29 PM. Reason: spelling correction

I purchased a pack of the rage heads and test shot them sometimes they would open sometimes not. I agree some expandable's will leave a nasty hole.

If you want to be 100% sure that you expandable will open get the old style Vortec expandable head It will open no matter what They come in a plane cardboard package.

They are very tough I have shot several deer with these and the hole is more brutal than anything out there. They make them in different flavors.

I posted this a few times seems like no one wants to listen.

There is too much mechanical movement of the Rage blades one blade get's binded on the other.

Get a Vortec and be done with it. No more problems.
    Last edited by Breck; 08-16-2009 at 01:03 AM.

As someone that owns a bow shop, I've heard more tall tales on broadheads than you could imagine. You name it, I've heard it.

I'll tell you this, I'm shooting rage until I prove to myself that it doesn't work. So far, I don't see that happening.

You can't blame a broadhead on a poor shot, period.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    My orings on the rages kept rottin out. Horrible to me. Then they wouldnt stay shut in my quiver. Most wouldn't open when the enter the deer.
    That's because you missed the deer remember??
    SAVE A BUCK--SHOOT AN OUTFITTER

Quote Originally Posted by Chris View Post
    As someone that owns a bow shop, I've heard more tall tales on broadheads than you could imagine. You name it, I've heard it.

I'll tell you this, I'm shooting rage until I prove to myself that it doesn't work. So far, I don't see that happening.

You can't blame a broadhead on a poor shot, period.
    i agree 100% with you there

I read that Rage redesigned the 3 blade models because the front shoulders of the blades were too rounded and sometimes wouldn't open. I took 4 for 4 last year with my 2 blade versions without a problem. 3 things I ALWAYS do with any mechanical broadhead. First I inspect and move all working parts of the broadhead. I don't use what seems less than perfect. Second, I sharpen even new blades. The cut on contact tip on a new Rage is dull. Third, I disassemble, scald, scrub, and resharpen before reuse. Any tallow left behind can cause problems.

I shot the rage 2 blade last year and was very dissapointed. I think I may try the Rage 3 blades this year...I am just a little worried that the same thing will happen that happened with the 2 blades. I would really appritiate any input on this matter. What are you talking about when you said you clean them...help me out, I'm bow and broadhead ignorant.

Old Archer

Angry Quality Broadheads

At $40.00 for a pack of three broadheads, there should be no problems!
    Don't get hung up on what is trendy, surely you have a tried and try in your arsenal. I personaly do not like paying $40.00 FOR MOSTLY ALUMINUM.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

If you had issues with the 2 blade why would buy the 3 blade? Tune your bow good and get broadheads and be done with it.

You spent $40+ bucks for 3 another 3 thats $80 that a lot for 6 heads. You can get 12 slick tricks for that price.

Chris, I have test shot these heads and they do not open all the time. I blade will open the other will get binded by the other. Does not happen all the time. The one's I have I shot several times at a target at least 3 time's they did not open properly. Try it for yourself.
    Last edited by Breck; 08-17-2009 at 12:04 AM.

At least I admit Im Crazy Looney Bin's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by J.Blay View Post
    I read that Rage redesigned the 3 blade models because the front shoulders of the blades were too rounded and sometimes wouldn't open. I took 4 for 4 last year with my 2 blade versions without a problem. 3 things I ALWAYS do with any mechanical broadhead. First I inspect and move all working parts of the broadhead. I don't use what seems less than perfect. Second, I sharpen even new blades. The cut on contact tip on a new Rage is dull. Third, I disassemble, scald, scrub, and resharpen before reuse. Any tallow left behind can cause problems.

This is the reason I stopped shooting Rage. They were deadly, accurate and left great blood trails. However, most of the time the blades were bent once throug an animal, cleaning them and changing the blades was a pain in the arse. All most made them disposeable BH's. Honestly all that was a pain, but the bigger problem I had was keeping them closed in and out of a quiver.

Last, I never had one open in flight, but my best friend did. It really threw him for a loop.
    Of all the things I lost I miss my mind the Most!?!?!?

Old Archer

Thumbs down Broadhead Commercials

Chris,

The reason that head is popular at your shop is because Rage, that is Feild Logic is spending a ton of advertising on TV and magazines to promote there product. They have been out long enough that some issues are showing up with them. Again as stated in other threads $40.00 is a lot to pay for Aluminum. Give me a ready sharp stick already fixed and ready to cut. Amen!

I have a good friend of mine who is what is considered today a trophy hunter,
    he has to his credit some forty head mounts, from 160 to 190+. He told me recently the rage head works, he in fact used it last season. However like some have stated the removeal from a quiver can upset the lock down of the washer. If shot like this you will have very poor results. So now you would have one more thing to miss things up on a animal of a life time. I say no thanks, razor sharp ready stick for me. Fully deployed and ready to go, thats the way Fred Bear done it.
    09 Mathews Reezen, Tru Ball releases and Sights, Gold Tip Arrows, Slick Tricks, Limb Saver Equipment, John Deere, Polaris Ranger, Big Game and Summit stands. And doing all that is possible to protect and preserve our Hunting Heritage.

Rage heads have a problem when they go into the quiver not when they come out. Also I would like to mention that I put an arrow on the string when i hang the bow in the stand. You may not knock an arrow until you see the deer you want but that's your choice. I have killed deer with fixed and mech and I don't think one is better than another. I do think that many a bad shot have been blamed on bh's weather fixed or mech. When i went to get a new pack of g5 striker I had a person tell me a story about how he shot a deer with a striker and the arrow bounced off its shoulder at 20 yards. I asked what speed his bow shot, he replied 298. Now we all know that what this man said is not true. Some people just can't say I messed up. Sometimes an arrow hits a branch, sometimes the string hits your shirt, and sometimes we just make a bad shot. In the end we should all face the truth, If you hit the lungs or hart your field points will do the job. if you shoot rage and the blades don't open you have less cutting surface but if the arrow is aimed right it matters not.