You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Arrow help

Default Arrow help

I recently made the jump to a 70 pound bow. My 2216 aluminum arrows shot straight and true at 60 pounds. And for the most part they still do. EXCEPT at longer ranges. Anything beyond 40 yards or so and they start drifting side to side up and down. These arrows are pretty much brand new and none of them are bent. I was thinking maybe it was because the spine of the arrow wasn't stiff enough. So I went on the easton arrow site and used the arrow selector..for my bow setup and poundage 2216 isnt even listed. It suggests a 2514. I would imagine it would be similar to weight as the 2216. Any ideas on what the problem could be? Or do you guys think I figured it out?

I believe 2216 are about a .376 spine at 28". So unless you can cut them shorter than 28 your probably looking at a stiffer arrow. How short can you get away with?
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    I believe 2216 are about a .376 spine at 28". So unless you can cut them shorter than 28 your probably looking at a stiffer arrow. How short can you get away with?
    Right now they are 30 inches long. And my bow is set at a 27 inch drawlength. I was already thinking about cutting maybe an inch and a half off. I really just didn't see a reason too..untill i turned it up to 70 pounds. Ever since then things have been dicey. I have no problems getting a stiffer spine arrow but i'd like to stay close to the weight of the 2216. From 0-30 yards they shoot flat and accurately.

I just checked, it looks like I can get away with EXACTLY 28 inches. Do you think that would be good enough or should i look into that stiffer arrow?

Default ha there

Quote Originally Posted by Fry View Post
    Right now they are 30 inches long. And my bow is set at a 27 inch drawlength. I was already thinking about cutting maybe an inch and a half off. I really just didn't see a reason too..untill i turned it up to 70 pounds. Ever since then things have been dicey. I have no problems getting a stiffer spine arrow but i'd like to stay close to the weight of the 2216. From 0-30 yards they shoot flat and accurately.
    It sounds like to me that when you cranked the poundage up on your bow
    it may have threw your knocking point off.
    the spine you have is ok..you can cut them down a bit to gain a little speed and make the shaft spine stiffer
    but it sounds more like a tuneing problem..rest.knocking point..tiller
    alot of ppl dont understand that if your bow is tuned correctly
    and you wanna crank up the poundage ..you cant just do that you have to re-tune the bow..check the tiller measurement..set the rest..knocking point.
    hope this helps
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Default ha bud

I just checked, it looks like I can get away with EXACTLY 28 inches. Do you think that would be good enough or should i look into that stiffer arrow?
    No 2216 is fine
    kbohunt

Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    the spine you have is ok..you can cut them down a bit to gain a little speed and make the shaft spine stiffer
    and you wanna crank up the poundage ..you cant just do that you have to re-tune the bow..check the tiller measurement..set the rest..knocking point.
    hope this helps
    What happend was, I had a cam go bad on my bow and I had to send it in to PSE to have it replaced. When I did so they sent it back at 70 pounds (factory specs) Instead of the 65 I had it at. I took it up to my archery shop had them reinstall the arrow rest and make sure everything was straight. It was. When they put it back to factory specs they put the draw length back to factory specs also. My cam has adjustable modules so I put it back to 27 (where it was before) I really don't think its a tuning issue. I don't know if i meantioned it before but 0-30 yards it shoots STRAIGHT and flat. 40-50-60 they travel. Looks like when the arrow starts to slow down at the longer ranges it loses stability.

Obviously you have to be sure it's tuned first otherwise a stiff enough arrow won't matter. But I would lose any excess shaft. How far beyond the riser are the shafts now? I know some cut them right back to the rest, but if your going to put broadheads on, better to have some room I think. If you cut them so when at full draw they (shaft) are just beyond the riser how long would they be approximately?
    While we're at it, fill us in on the whole shabang.
    Bow model and cam type
    What rest
    What release
    Using a d-loop?
    And your DL (you said 27 correct?)
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    Obviously you have to be sure it's tuned first otherwise a stiff enough arrow won't matter. But I would lose any excess shaft. How far beyond the riser are the shafts now? I know some cut them right back to the rest, but if your going to put broadheads on, better to have some room I think. If you cut them so when at full draw they (shaft) are just beyond the riser how long would they be approximately?
    While we're at it, fill us in on the whole shabang.
    Bow model and cam type
    What rest
    What release
    Using a d-loop?
    And your DL (you said 27 correct?)
    2008 PSE Stinger
    Tru-fire release (don't remember what model off hand)
    d-loop
    octane hostage arrow rest
    70 pound draw weight
    27 inch draw length

and at the moment using 2216 xx75 arrows. with 125 grain broadheads/field tips

If i got the arrows cut to 28 inches it would be pretty much flush with the riser. And yes I shoot broadheads so it would not be a good idea to go any shorter.

I plugged in your specs on Eastons chart but with 100 grain head. In the green is a .340 spine 2315, in the orange is a .365 spine 2413. Your not far off if you drop head weight. If you use 100 grain heads and drop bow weight to 66lbs the 2216s come back in to play. With 125 heads the chart peaks out at 63 lbs with 2216s. All this is putting in a 28" arrow lenth. Now I'm guessing Easton has a little fudge factor in there for liability, so they may be putting you into a slightly stiff shaft.
    Easiest way to test with what you have now is to back off the limb bolts equally a few turns and see if it straightens itself out. If it does, you know your on to something.
    FBSA Member

Default im lost with arrows

Can u help me out mate? i shoot a 70 pound PSE Brute NI because i am new to the sport i dont no what aroows are rite for me i have a 29 inch draw 70 pound with 100grn broad heads. This would be appreciated

Smile can u help me with arrows

Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    hope this helps
    Hey, I am new to the sport and i am having trouble finding the write arrow for my bow its set at 70 pounds 29 inch draw its a PSE Brute NI thanks mate

Nick, try Eastons shaft selecter thingie.
    http://www.eastonarchery.com/products/selection
    FBSA Member

2008 PSE Stinger
    Tru-fire release (don't remember what model off hand)
    d-loop
    octane hostage arrow rest
    70 pound draw weight
    27 inch draw length

and at the moment using 2216 xx75 arrows. with 125 grain broadheads/field tips

If i got the arrows cut to 28 inches it would be pretty much flush with the riser. And yes I shoot broadheads so it would not be a good idea to go any shorter.
    Get rid of that Octane rest and go with a NAP 360 CaptureRest. Just went through the same situation.
    Redhead Kronik 60-70# 26" Draw
    Octane Hostage Pro Rest
    Tru-Glo Tru-Site X-Treme
    Limbsaver 4.55 S-Coil Stabilizer
    T.R.U. Ball Chappy Boss