You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: 3D Target Issue

Default 3D Target Issue

I have a 3D whitetail that I took out to shoot at this past weekend. Shot 4 arrows with field points into it. After laying the target on it's side, it took every effort I had to get those things out. I had the target in storage over the winter and it now seems that it is too tough to shoot into.

It is not one of the layered targets.

Anyone else had this problem? Any solutions?

Hmm, mabye it's still frozen..

Kidding, kidding.. I jest.

You can try taking an ordinary bar of hand soap and rubbing the end of your arrows with that.. Should make it easier to pull them out. Also, you can get one of the "gorrilla grip" type products out on the market today. They'll help you to get a better grip on the arrow to pull it out with.

Hope that helps.
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

They have always said that those deer get tougher as they get older. Don't forget to try and twist the arrow as you pull it out. Little silicone on a rag is also cheap and easy.

MoBowman ```---------->
    www.Missouriwhitetails.com
    Trophy Rock Pro Staff
    Hunt Hard, Hunt Safe, Pass It On

The problem is friction from your arrow entering your dry target fresh out of storage melts the foam to your arrow. To fix the friction problem is simple.
    There are several items on the market, one of my favorites is the "lube tube". You just dip your arrow in it (about 3 inches). Instead of using the oil that comes with it, use vegetable oil. It won't scare the deer. I've used many different arrow pullers (grip aids) but usually if I lube my arrow I don't need the puller. As your target gets more use your problem should ocure less. It may be that leaving it in the weather allows a little moisture to to get in and reduce friction. I recomend not twisting your arrow out as this may cause dammage to your arrow. Good luck.......

I wouldn't suggest twisting carbon shafts as you pull them out!

Thanks for the suggestions. I will give some of those a try.

I definitely laughed at the "still frozen" comment...good stuff.

I shoot a lot of 3-D shoots. What I use is Woody's arrow lube. it works great. Just put it on your arrow up about 1 inch. As for the smell. I use the same arrows to shoot 3-D with and another set of arrows to hunt with. Good luck.

Tom

There are several things that you can try, Woody's arrow lube, a bar of soap rubbed on the shaft, heck I have even been told to use some good ol' Armorall. If you have ever sprayed you steering wheel with that stuff and then tried to turn your wheel, your hands will surely slide really easy. I know, been there and done that. Same concept should apply to your arrows, the only downfall would be the scent that Armorall leaves. The Gorilla Grip is a good product to have or you can get one of those rubber pot holders that you pickup hot handles off of the stove. I believe you can pick up one of those at Wally World for a couple of bucks. Look in the cooking utensil section. Just a few suggestions, good luck and good shooting.
    Switchback 28"
    Scott Longhorn III
    Scott Mongoose
    Easton Fatboy 400 (344 grains- 260fps@58lbs)
    Specialty Archery Superstix
    NAP Drop way
    Sims Vibration
    Spot Hogg Sights

"A bad day of target shooting is still better than a good day of work".

As for how to get your arrows out of your target.....

and the drum roll please......get a young guy to shoot with....make him pull them for you..........
    I cut things up and split them down!