You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Draw Length Question...

I recently went to my local archery shop and got fitted for my new Apex 7...but I have a question. I pulled a 29" dl, it was too long so he said I would be somewhere between 28 and 28.5. Rather than giving me a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop to feel...he gave me a 28.5 and just had me attach my stinger to the string....it felt PERFECT. So, he said, "You are a 28" dl...with the 1/2" it makes you a 28.5.

What I think is that the STRING needs to be 28.5, and the d-loop then goes farther back, because the string length doesn't GROW as you get a longer d-loop. So when I held the 28.5" dl...the string came right accross the tip of my nose like it should, I felt very comfortable...but if I get a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop...the string isn't going to cross the same point...it is short now, so I would have to lean my head forward to reach it now wouldn't I? I've attached a rough drawing to show my point...is this correct?

Doc080811.PDF
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Nice pics there

I say go with whatever is the most comfortable for you. If you are not comfortable you could develop bad habits

according to that picture you are anchoring way to low....
    Bass and Bucks Staff Shooter
    Ranger Custom Bowstrings Staff Shooter
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps Staff Shooter
    FBSA President and Founder

When I saw that pic, all i could do is

I think this was discussed about a year ago. Umm, No it does not add to the total drawlength, just how far your hand will be when anchored.
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Quote Originally Posted by Werd View Post
    When I saw that pic, all i could do is

I think this was discussed about a year ago. Umm, No it does not add to the total drawlength, just how far your hand will be when anchored.
    But if your hand is anchored too far back and uncomfortable, wouldn't it be a good idea to shorten the DL a little to be comfortable and more accurate? Anchor Point is a VERY important part of shooting!

might not add to DL, but your arm got WAAAY longer in the second pic
    Hook 'Em Horns

Default your draw length still sounds to long.

[=swintj1;184395]I recently went to my local archery shop and got fitted for my new Apex 7...but I have a question. I pulled a 29" dl, it was too long so he said I would be somewhere between 28 and 28.5. Rather than giving me a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop to feel...he gave me a 28.5 and just had me attach my stinger to the string....it felt PERFECT. So, he said, "You are a 28" dl...with the 1/2" it makes you a 28.5.

What I think is that the STRING needs to be 28.5, and the d-loop then goes farther back, because the string length doesn't GROW as you get a longer d-loop. So when I held the 28.5" dl...the string came right accross the tip of my nose like it should, I felt very comfortable...but if I get a 28 with a 1/2" d-loop...the string isn't going to cross the same point...it is short now, so I would have to lean my head forward to reach it now wouldn't I? I've attached a rough drawing to show my point...is this correct?

Doc080811.PDF[/QUOTE]

Well, wheely, if you put a 1foot dloop on your bow, would it be uncomfortable?!?!?

If you would put your draw to 23", then put a 5.5 inch d loop on it, would it be different? Yes, Your going to have to lean way into the bow just to get to your kisser button, if you have a 28.5 draw and put a 1/4 inch dloop on it, is there going to be any difference? No, Your drawlenght is going to be the same no matter what, no matter how long your dloop is, its just getting it to that right comfy position for how you like your hand placement when at full draw....IF that made any sense
    "I have a passion for whitetail deer, not a passion for killing them. The fact that I deer hunt does not make me their enemy, but their guardian."
    I play snake

Talking picture

Are you as thin as your picture???

dodgensince74

Have them set it up both ways so you can see which of the 2 feels best to you, this way there is no second guessing and then it will be on you which of the 2 you choose.

I guess it depends on what feel is more important to you. The touch of the string, or the hand placement, or how your shoulders are set. There's alot that goes into a DL. I would just shoot the 28 for a bit and see how it goes. Don't sweat it just yet. You can mess with the loop a bit if hand and shoulders don't feel right. If your release type is adjustable, you can play with it too. I know the Apex is said to run a 1/2" long, don't know about the A7. Was it an A7 that they had you try? OOPS.. congrats, you'll love it!
    Last edited by red44; 08-11-2008 at 10:48 PM.
    FBSA Member