You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Question on Viper Scopes...

I was just wondering if with Viper scopes...do they put the lens behind or infront of the pin? If it is infront...is there a blurring effect on the pin that makes it hard to see when using the 4X or 6X scope? When using the clarifier, I know that will clear up the target, but what about the pin?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    I was just wondering if with Viper scopes...do they put the lens behind or infront of the pin? If it is infront...is there a blurring effect on the pin that makes it hard to see when using the 4X or 6X scope? When using the clarifier, I know that will clear up the target, but what about the pin?
    funny you should bring this up.......

we had a lengthy descusion about this tonight at the shop, and it appears that you put them on the back side of the scope (the end, closest to you)

its the only scope that I know of, that you do this.......

doesnt make sense to me, but, there are alot of things that dont.......

Quote Originally Posted by BUNNYMAN View Post
    funny you should bring this up.......

we had a lengthy descusion about this tonight at the shop, and it appears that you put them on the back side of the scope (the end, closest to you)

its the only scope that I know of, that you do this.......

doesnt make sense to me, but, there are alot of things that dont.......
    Does this make the pin really blurry? Is a 6X scope too extreme for this type of scope?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

I have the viper scope. The Lens is in front of the pin. It does not make a difference whether it is in front or the back of the pin. The pin does not magnify because it is so close to the lens. You will have a blurred or starred pin when you use a clarifier. It is the trade off for a clearer target. The stronger the Magnification the stronger the clarifier. A Specialty Archery clarifier #1 will work with a 2x, 3x or 4x. The #2 clarifier is good for 6x, 7x or 8x. I suggest a 4x with a #1 clarifier with a 1/4" apeture. It's good for 3D, not to much magnification for closer targets and helps you out at Longer distances. The 1/4" apeture will allow a good range of view with sight movement over a 0-50 yard adjustment range.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA

Quote Originally Posted by Captain19 View Post
    I have the viper scope. The Lens is in front of the pin. It does not make a difference whether it is in front or the back of the pin. The pin does not magnify because it is so close to the lens. You will have a blurred or starred pin when you use a clarifier. It is the trade off for a clearer target. The stronger the Magnification the stronger the clarifier. A Specialty Archery clarifier #1 will work with a 2x, 3x or 4x. The #2 clarifier is good for 6x, 7x or 8x. I suggest a 4x with a #1 clarifier with a 1/4" apeture. It's good for 3D, not to much magnification for closer targets and helps you out at Longer distances. The 1/4" apeture will allow a good range of view with sight movement over a 0-50 yard adjustment range.
    I actually just ordered up my Viper scope and clarifier from Chris today. I ended up going with a 6X and a 3/32 apature...I figured that would be the perfect size for me to have my scope out about 5 inches beyond my bow, and have the peep line up perfectly with the diameter of the scope housing.

I will use it mostly for spots, so the 6X seemed like a good choice. I'm sure if I use it for 3D ever and I have a BLACK object at only 15 yards or so...that will be a bearcat though. Do you think I made an okay choice on the apature size?
    2007 Hoyt Vectrix

Grim Reaper of the Foam Captain19's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by swintj1 View Post
    I actually just ordered up my Viper scope and clarifier from Chris today. I ended up going with a 6X and a 3/32 apature...I figured that would be the perfect size for me to have my scope out about 5 inches beyond my bow, and have the peep line up perfectly with the diameter of the scope housing.

I will use it mostly for spots, so the 6X seemed like a good choice. I'm sure if I use it for 3D ever and I have a BLACK object at only 15 yards or so...that will be a bearcat though. Do you think I made an okay choice on the apature size?
    Yeah it's fine. When your shooting spots a smaller apeture is good. You could have even went to a smaller one yet. The smaller the apeture the less field of view. That will allow you to focus better on the "spot" with out the outer rings to distract you. For 3D I like the bigger range of view. This lets me see the outline to make sure I have proper pin placement. Whatever you have if it feels comfortable stick with it.
    Mathews Prestige, Carbon Express CXL SS arrows, Carter Target 3
    Sure-Loc Lite 400, Specialty Super Scope, Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers

Bernie's Control Freak Stabilizers- Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery- Staff Shooter

Member of the FBSA