You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Results 1 to 10 of 10
  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Length of Recurve

    Hello,
    I'm looking to get back into shooting a Recurve, I haven't shot one since I was a kid. I have about 29 1/2" draw, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best length to shoot.
    Thanks, Gary

  2. #2
    He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    Indiana
    Posts
    1,390

    Default

    All my recurve experience comes from about 35yrs ago so take my opinion for what it is worth. I'd be looking at something like 58-62". I felt the short ones stacked up and were harder to shoot, although they are more manuverable.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

  3. #3
    are u a fat boy? kbohunt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Moseley,Va
    Posts
    3,237

    Default ha

    Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    All my recurve experience comes from about 35yrs ago so take my opinion for what it is worth. I'd be looking at something like 58-62". I felt the short ones stacked up and were harder to shoot, although they are more manuverable.
    True..he's got ya covered now.
    i shoot a take-down recurve now.my draw is 28-29 and i shoot a 60"
    I had bought a 57inch recurve-hunter last year and it was to stressfull to shoot.
    kbohunt

    Bows,07PSE,MOJO-3D,05Flash
    Arrows..beman ICS hunter
    SURE-LOCK sights..Extreme scopes..TT rest
    FBSA-MEMBER
    Wheely Custom Quivers & Poston Stab's..Made in The U.S.A

  4. #4
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    South East Massachusetts
    Posts
    2,342

    Default

    What type of recurve are you thinking about Yellowwolf? I've had a few older models picked up off Eb.., 58" that were not comfy to shoot. (they were Shakespeares) I'm sure it is model specific to some extent. A 58 or 60" older Bear Grizzly will get you close I think, and a BP Rouge I had was OK to 29.5, and it was a 58". But if your looking at older bows, stay in the 62" or better to be safe. There are some newer bows that are shorter and can handle that draw lenth, but at least you can get info from the manufacturers on them. The older stuff you have to rely on someone having had one to tell you. If you want smooth and not concerned with speed, some of the old target type recurves are nice to shoot. They're commonly 64-70" long, 25-40lbs.
    Last edited by red44; 08-14-2008 at 07:22 AM.
    FBSA Member

  5. #5
    Senior Member J.C.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    7,681

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by yellowwolf View Post
    Hello,
    I'm looking to get back into shooting a Recurve, I haven't shot one since I was a kid. I have about 29 1/2" draw, and I was wondering if someone could tell me the best length to shoot.
    Thanks, Gary
    my drawlength is about an inch longer than yours and I've found a 64" recurve fits me best. I just bought a cheap Browning Nomad 52" from the AT classifieds to shoot from a ground blind and I'm afraid I'm not gonna like it...... I'm hoping I can shoot 3 under with it without a lot of finger pinch, but if not I'm not out a lot of money.

  6. #6
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by dbdcougar View Post
    All my recurve experience comes from about 35yrs ago so take my opinion for what it is worth. I'd be looking at something like 58-62". I felt the short ones stacked up and were harder to shoot, although they are more manuverable.
    Thanks for the info. I'll probably go with at least a 62". I remember growing out of my Ben Pearsn, once it started to stack-up I couldn't shoot.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by kbohunt View Post
    True..he's got ya covered now.
    i shoot a take-down recurve now.my draw is 28-29 and i shoot a 60"
    I had bought a 57inch recurve-hunter last year and it was to stressfull to shoot.
    Thanks for the confirmation!

  8. #8
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    What type of recurve are you thinking about Yellowwolf? I've had a few older models picked up off Eb.., 58" that were not comfy to shoot. (they were Shakespeares) I'm sure it is model specific to some extent. A 58 or 60" older Bear Grizzly will get you close I think, and a BP Rouge I had was OK to 29.5, and it was a 58". But if your looking at older bows, stay in the 62" or better to be safe. There are some newer bows that are shorter and can handle that draw lenth, but at least you can get info from the manufacturers on them. The older stuff you have to rely on someone having had one to tell you. If you want smooth and not concerned with speed, some of the old target type recurves are nice to shoot. They're commonly 64-70" long, 25-40lbs.
    Thanks for the reply. I'll be looking at somehthing newer. I purchased a couple of used compounds,years ago, and the risers broke on both of them. I got a few seasons out of them but, the wood one cracked and the metal one snapped in two. Kind of scarry. And neither was that old!

  9. #9
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Posts
    6

    Default Thanks

    Quote Originally Posted by J.C. View Post
    my drawlength is about an inch longer than yours and I've found a 64" recurve fits me best. I just bought a cheap Browning Nomad 52" from the AT classifieds to shoot from a ground blind and I'm afraid I'm not gonna like it...... I'm hoping I can shoot 3 under with it without a lot of finger pinch, but if not I'm not out a lot of money.
    Thanks for the info. I'll be going with at least a 62". When I out grew my Ben Pearson and it started stacking-up, I couldn't shoot. No problem with finger pinch though.

  10. #10
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    CENTRAL MICHIGAN
    Posts
    16

    Default

    I Won't Shoot Anything Less Than A 66" Bow, The Longer They Are The More Forgiving They Are. A Little Harder To Shoot Out Of A Ground Blind, But Not Bad Out Of A Treestand For Hunting. For 3-d Or Target Shooting I'll Take A 70".

    Jim

Similar Threads

  1. Selecting recurve bow length and draw weight
    By JohnSmith in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 06-10-2008, 04:50 PM
  2. draw length
    By camohunter87 in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 8
    Last Post: 05-26-2008, 01:59 AM
  3. draw length for compound vs. recurve?
    By KyuZo in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 02-25-2008, 07:49 PM
  4. draw length
    By Wheely in forum General Archery Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 02-16-2007, 02:40 PM
  5. Question about Length
    By David in forum Beginners Archery Range
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 05-04-2006, 11:58 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •