You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I use scotch brite pads......

Yea thats what i meant sorry lol Its ok to do this without harming the arrow?

Do you glue in your nocks?

Do you clean the vanes with the cleaner?
    Z7 Extreme, Ripcord, TR Alfa V5, Smooth Stability and G5 Montecs

New to the forums. Thanks for the posting, I have all the equipment for fletching but just a little itimidated by the process. I'm going to give it a go this weekend.

-Craig

I tried it and it isn't that hard. I wish I made the decision to try it sooner.
    Z7 Extreme, Ripcord, TR Alfa V5, Smooth Stability and G5 Montecs

Use good old dish soap and water to clean your arrows. Acetone and some alcohols leave a film on the arrows and can also break down carbon fibers. Dish soap will remove any oils from your finger on the arrows or any film on the arrows. I have been making arrow far over 45 year ans have not had any problems. Try it and then fill the arrow and see how squeaky clean they get and no film period

Smile

I've always added a little dab of glue to the front and back of the fletch

Default Nice Review

Great how to, with photos to boot.

I too am a proponent of using acetone if the vanes are not pre treated at the factory with a bonding agent.

Quote Originally Posted by bowdoc1 View Post
    Use good old dish soap and water to clean your arrows. Acetone and some alcohols leave a film on the arrows and can also break down carbon fibers. Dish soap will remove any oils from your finger on the arrows or any film on the arrows. I have been making arrow far over 45 year ans have not had any problems. Try it and then fill the arrow and see how squeaky clean they get and no film period
    well maybe that's what I'm doing wrong, not cleaning them properly. All I've been doing is scraping all residue from the old wrecked fletching then gluing the new ones on. Was thinking that I had a bad tube of glue or something. Had three arrows lose fletchings at a provincial target shoot this weekend. I'm using fletch-tite glue on 4" Duravanes. At first I thought I wasn't using enough glue but increased the amount of glue being used and it didn't make any difference

Quote Originally Posted by bowdoc1 View Post
    Using acetone sparingly with a quick wipe down and dry with a soft cloth on a clean bare shaft, or after scraping off all the glue does not seem to harm the carbon shafts as many carbon shafts seem to have a very thin coating on them. You can see the coating as it gives off a sheen when held to the light. I have used acetone for years with no carbon issues. Using soap and water may also work, but soap can leave a film is not cleaned meticulously from the shaft. Acetone evaporates almost immediately,and interacting with the glues seems to be okay.

I guess bottom line is whatever works, use it.

While some swear by goat tuff, here in Canada it is like $13.00 for a one ounce tube and crazy glue is the same thing only cheaper. These will certainly bond your vanes instantly like no other, including your multijig arms, fingers, your cat if she jumps on the table and paws at the glue tip when you are in the process of gluing your points etc.

Oh yeah, wash your hands with plenty of hot soapy water before going to the washroom, a wad of toilet paper stuck to your hands or your wedding tackle adhered permanently to your fingers is not pretty, when the girlfriend wonders why your screaming behind the bathroom door.
    Bohning Archery-Pro Field Staff
    Hoyt ProElite 3000 (Fita) Hoyt ProElite 2000 (3D), Martin Cougar Magnum (Fingers), ChekMate Recurve (Traditional) Trophy Ridge Sights, Axcel Sights, Bernardini and Tru Ball Release, Bohning Blazers, X-Shield Cut Vanes, Tru-Flight -Gateway Feathers, Hephaestus Stabilisers