You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Let's Hear!

Hybrid View

Post Let's Hear!

How,why, and when did you start shooting a bow?What bow did you start with?

I started with a $5 slingshot from Wal-Mart, but I got an idea . Soon I decided to just buy a bow,a #15 institutional,when I was 10.

I got started after I got into shotgun hunting for deer. I wanted a longer deer season. I immediately shot my first 3D and was hooked, the rest is history.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

shot my first bow 13 years ago. The guys were out sighting theirs in & we were all making fun of them. So my husband spouted off & wanted to see if I could even hit the target. So I gave it a try & hit the 10 ring They didn't let me shoot again.

Now in 2004 I finally got a bow & love it. Hoping to get a deer this year with it. Also love shooting 3-D

Come on guys All of you have a story to tell. Let's here it.

Started shootin a bow at 4 yrs old. Started shootin in lots of tournaments in a league and bowhunting association i was in. Then actually started deer huntin with it about the age of 12. Started off with a PSE and have steadily moved up, and just bought me a decked out Hoyt Ultra-Mag.

I started later in life. I was about 28 when i first picked up an old bow. An old bear compound and shot a deer the first year with it. Looking back I think how lucky I was . I am now 41 and shoot 3 times a week and some tourneys over the winter. I look forward to the fall hunting season but not as much anymore. I enjoy the competion of 3-d almost as much as hunting. The time I get to spend with my 21 year old son hunting to me tho is priceless

I started with an old stick bow shooting in the back yard with my father and older brother. Dad saw that I could shoot and about at the age of eleven, he bought me my first compound. I've been shooting ever since getting in every local tournament I can. Not only are tournaments my passion, archery hunting made me retire the rifles and now the only time I touch a rifle is to dust it off once in a while. I love shooting so much that I am in the process of building my own personal indoor range. This way I can shoot anytime in any weather without range fees. I have one word for the range, AWESOME, my wife, however, has one word also, DIVORCE.

Default When I started

When I was about 30 years old I bought a bamboo bow with a 76lb. pull. I used to shoot carp in the Fox river where I used to live. I traded that bow in for a Darton recurve and used it for the same purpose. I gave that bow to a friend and I didn't shoot again until about 14 years ago. I had to give up hunting with guns in 1978 because of poor health. I started again 12 years ago with a bow. I hear my two suns and grandsons talk about all the deer they have been getiing with the bow. Both my son's have 5 ten pointers on their walls and my gransons have some smaller ones.

One day I made up my mind that I was going to hunt with them so without them knowing I went to Ottie Rowe"s place on 173 and bought a Martin Bow. I think it was a cougar. I started shooting it in my backyard amd when Oct. came along I informed my boys that they have another hunting companion. They taught me a few things and got me the right arrows and Muzzy broadheads. They had a beautiful place to hunt in Kirkland Ill. They put up a wooden stand for me about 12 feet high and my younger son had a portable stand about 75 yards away so he could keep his eyes on me.

I got deer every year I hunted with them until 2001. The property was sold to the DeKald Forest Preserve so we lost that place but I had another place where I could go right around where I live in Poplar Grove. On Sept. 10' 2001 me and my wife took a ride to Kirkland to get one of my ladder stands down. I had three ladder stands and a couple of portables. I figured I could get the ladder stands down with out any help. My wife stood in the truck and I went in about 100 yards in the woods. I took three ratchet starps off then I proceeded in taking the chain with the lock on it off.After getting it off and dropping it down to the ground the ladder stand started to twist and I went down with the stand until the brace that was attached to the tree caught and stopped but I didn't and I went down and landed on my back. After I came to I was able to move my hands and feet so I knew I wasn't paralized.

I had a terrific pain in my A-- and when I reached back it was my cell phone in my back pocket. I turned it on and it worked so I called 911 and the paramedics came and told my wife that I had fallen and they came out to get me with a stretcher. I broke my back and I was in a upper body brace for 3 months. If that wasn't enough after I healed they found Cancer on my right lung and had to remove part of it. I was doing good then they found it in my left lung. They removed part of that lung too. I can't walk more than 10 feet. I wanted to get back into bow hunting but I gave my stuff to one of my grandson's. I told my friend Brad who in turn took me to Chris at Obsessions and he helped me get a bow that I would be able to shoot from my scooter. He was very helpful and understanding. He ordered me a Reflex Excursion and I couldn't be more happier. I set up a range in my basement and I shoot 2 or 3 times a day. The bow is very good for me as I shoot from a chair. When I think I could shoot at Obsessions without getting in anyones's way I will be there. I would like to thank Brad and Chris and most of all my wife who bought the bow for me for Xmas.

I grew up watching the excitement that my dad got from shotgun hunting deer my whole life. I could hardly wait for when I turned 14 and could try it myself. Well in Michigan at 12 years old you can hunt deer with a bow so I quickly figured out that if I started shooting a bow I could hunt 2 years earlier. I talked it over with my dad and he helped me get my first bow at 11, it was a Martin Gazelle. I shot with it my first 3 years then I finally out grew it ( both draw length and draw pounds ) so I bought a clearwater single cam. My father who has been a avid hunter his whole life also started bow hunting when I did, a way to be in the woods longer. He bought a Clearwater Power Mag, then upgraded to another Clearwater and handed me down his power mag which I am still using to this day. I have taken at least 1 deer every year since I started hunting at 12 ( until I joined the military, I have missed the past 3 seasons because of this ) and so far 3 bucks. First was a spike horn with 11" horns on each side, next was a 3 point ( a forkhorn with a broken tine ) and my last buck I shot was a nice little 8 pointer taken in late season when it was around 10 degrees out.

I kept buggin my dad (which dosnt realy hunt) when I was about ten to get me one for Christmas. A friend of mine had started with his dad and I wanted to try it out. My Dad bought one from a friend of his for $25.00. It was an old Bear Whitetail Hunter, with the cables that actually atach to the riser. I shot that for a number of years and hunted with it for one year. The bow was good but it was way to big for me. I was and still am a large man and I still dont think it would fit me. I was visiting my uncle and the topic came up that I was archery hunting but was having trouble with my bow. He said that one of his friends owed him and gave him a Hoyt Ram Bow and that he never used it and probably wont, so I might as well have it. I used it for a couple years but it still wasnt quite what I wanted. By this time I had a job and could afford to finally buy a new one. I went to my local dealer which only carried Martin (we only live 45 minutes away from their factory, which was another buying point). I purchased the Martin Rage Elite. Fine bow and I still use it. Last year I was again with a bow that just wasnt what I wanted and a little outdated (which my belief is that just like computers, once you have it, it is out dated) so I went to sportsmans wharehouse. I had always wanted a Mathews but unfortunately they did not carry Mathews. The pro said that if I liked Mathews and Martin Try this one. He picked up a Bowtech. I shot it and knew that this was the bow for me. I purchased a Bowtech Mighty Mite and put Trophy Ridge site, Trophy Taker rest and a few other normal items on it. A month after I bought it I took it Turkey hunting and took a very nice tom with it. That archery season on the second day the first arrow out of the quiver took a very nice 6 x 5 bull elk. A week later the second arrow out of the bow during the season I harvested a 4 x 4 Muley.

I love my bow but something tells me in a couple years it wont be quite what I want.

C Dubb

First time shooting a bow was about 12, didn't really start shooting again till about 9 years ago. At that time bought a Bear Whitetail Two and started shooting 3D in local tournament. Wish someone would have told me the 50% let off in 3D shoots is a major handicap. From there ended up buying a High Country Ultra Force, good bow helping me raise my scores just a bit. Now I'm back to Fred Bear and shooting a Vapor 300. By far the best bow I have bought yet.
    TNArcher

I started real late in life at 50.My two boys got me into the sport.they became interested after seeing that rapid fire guy in Lord of the Rings.I had to take them to archery lessons every Sat.and got hooked
    Hey TxBowhunter I just got my new ultramag as well.You laughing as you blow away guys with bows twice the price to?
    regards heavy dart

Default lets here

wow!! now thats some thinking back time!!! Im almost 36 and got my first bow. ( recurve) when I was 7. not even sure what the brand it was. Got my first compound when I was 12. A bear that my uncle gave me. the first line of Bear compounds. then as the years went on to a Bear whitetail hunter then a whitetail hunter 2. and so on.......and lost count of deer taken...... Also, got both my sons addicted to archery. My 13 year old son shoots in a league and 3 yr. old son just got his first bow. A barnett recurve. and surprisingly enough he can pull it back almost all the way.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	mv2xrgx.jpg 
Views:	122 
Size:	16.6 KB 
ID:	33 - t3h 3d shoots  
    I would like to thank all my sponsers:Alpine Archery Pro Staff, Tru-Ball Releases Staff , Hydronics Archery Pro Staff,Victory Arrows Staff, Bohning Archery , Vibra-Check , TP Scope Lenses Pro Staff, Mossy Oak Pro Staff....
    RANGER BOW STRINGS

Started in the early 80's, with PSE, and now after 20yrs. out of archery, I've got these babbies:
    04 Vipertec
    04 Razortec
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoyt bows 001_1.jpg 
Views:	126 
Size:	57.8 KB 
ID:	26 - t3h 3d shoots