You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

maybe they should just regulate how you must spread out your corn...instead of one big pile, disperse it in an area (similar to that of a food plot)

do they have a minimum size that a food plot has to be?
    Hook 'Em Horns

Adam of Archery Outfitter fstgstdsmpay's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    maybe they should just regulate how you must spread out your corn...instead of one big pile, disperse it in an area (similar to that of a food plot)

do they have a minimum size that a food plot has to be?
    That was the way it has been the lat couple of years in MI. By law it was 2 gallons over a 10 foot area. But people were still just dumping piles. Its better this way last thing we need is deer spreading disease's here. We delt with it once and it wasnt pretty. Much better for the herd this way

Nope, No minimum

Quote Originally Posted by fstgstdsmpay View Post
    That was the way it has been the lat couple of years in MI. By law it was 2 gallons over a 10 foot area. But people were still just dumping piles. Its better this way last thing we need is deer spreading disease's here. We delt with it once and it wasnt pretty. Much better for the herd this way

Nope, No minimum
    Yes and we know how they handled that! Almost TOTAL annihilation of the herd in area 452. They gave all the cattle farmers permission to shoot any deer that stepped on there grazing fields (no permit needed). I spoke to a farmer that was bragging about shooting over 200 deer in one summer. I ask what he did with the deer, he said we piled them up over in the corner of his property and the DNR would come and pick them up. I wanted to put my size 12 boot upside his head.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

FBSA MEMBER
    http://www.thefbsa.com/
    counting down till next season!

why don't we have the CWD problem in Texas? Does it have something to do with the climate or something..??? Cause we have been using corn feeders since corn feeders were born! Although the feeders don't dump piles....well I guess some do
    Hook 'Em Horns

FBSA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by Hook Em View Post
    why don't we have the CWD problem in Texas? Does it have something to do with the climate or something..??? Cause we have been using corn feeders since corn feeders were born! Although the feeders don't dump piles....well I guess some do
    This is are first case its making its wayt around the country. Cross your fingers and hope it doesnt come your way

Default reply

Bait is neccissary in texas and other super-thick areas where you can go lifetimes without seeing deer. It also grows them nice and big . But why do you need bait in MI. I was up there this summer and there are almost no trees anywhere, where they are they are thin, and there is natural bait(corn on the stalk) all over the place!

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    Bait is neccissary in texas and other super-thick areas where you can go lifetimes without seeing deer. It also grows them nice and big . But why do you need bait in MI. I was up there this summer and there are almost no trees anywhere, where they are they are thin, and there is natural bait(corn on the stalk) all over the place!
    i dont know where you rwere in michigan because there are definatly trees and thick forrests all over the place.

1.The only way I see any enforcement working is by first banning the sale of bait. Whats the point in banning baiting if stores will still sell the stuff?

2.We have plenty of tree's trust me You must have been in the thumb?

3. The only good thing to come of this is the deer wont suddnely change all their patterns 5 days before gun season when the Orange army starts dumping beets and carrots all over the place
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

There's a press release on the DNR site now stating that baiting is indeed illegal in the lower.

http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...8877--,00.html

Wow heres the link to the detroit news article on it. Game ranches are screwed you cant take any deer off of the ranches. Thats a big ouch for those guys.

http://www.detnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll...366/-1/ARCHIVE

Quote Originally Posted by jdawg240 View Post
    1.The only way I see any enforcement working is by first banning the sale of bait. Whats the point in banning baiting if stores will still sell the stuff? :

You can never stop the selling bait, they still sell bait in most states where its illegal. But we as hunters need to help the CO's in locating the violaters. I for one will always turn over people violating are state game laws.

You can never stop the selling bait, they still sell bait in most states where its illegal. But we as hunters need to help the CO's in locating the violaters. I for one will always turn over people violating are state game laws.
    Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would.

I hunt with a old guy who is handicap. He can shoot a gun and shoot a bow(sitting down) but can only walk with a cane and only short distances. We built him a nice elevated blind last year so he could start bowhunting with us. He uses bait to draw deer in close for him during bow season. As much as I support the DNR and the ban on baiting it saddnes me that mt buddy will have a very difficult time harvesting a deer with his bow. But the law is the law and we will not break it.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would.

I hunt with a old guy who is handicap. He can shoot a gun and shoot a bow(sitting down) but can only walk with a cane and only short distances. We built him a nice elevated blind last year so he could start bowhunting with us. He uses bait to draw deer in close for him during bow season. As much as I support the DNR and the ban on baiting it saddnes me that mt buddy will have a very difficult time harvesting a deer with his bow. But the law is the law and we will not break it.
    I think they could stop the sale next year. But I don't think some of these farmers can just plow their fields under. I imagion someone would have to pay for that and it most likely would be the taxpayers. Most of the bait has already been purchased on contracts, I would think law suits will be following this decision from the Agricultural and Business community.

JDawg you may just need to plant your hunter a food plot in front of his stand and a couple Apple Trees.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Why not????? You cant sell drugs,,you cant sell snagging hooks, you cant sell illegal fireworks. I think they could ban it, it's just a matter if they would. .

I think bait will not be sold by gas stations, party stores, things like that. But at the same time, places like your local mills will still carry corn, and places like bass pro will still be selling those acorns in a bag, and buck jam and things of that nature. But by far we wont be seeing the piles on everycorner forsale any longer.

I think bait will not be sold by gas stations, party stores, things like that. But at the same time, places like your local mills will still carry corn, and places like bass pro will still be selling those acorns in a bag, and buck jam and things of that nature. But by far we wont be seeing the piles on everycorner forsale any longer.
    where i hunt bait has been baned ever since they discovered the deer with TB and all the places still sell it, even the gas stations & party stores. i dont think its going to change a thing.
    FBSA MEMBER

Quote Originally Posted by MichiganHunter View Post
    where i hunt bait has been baned ever since they discovered the deer with TB and all the places still sell it, even the gas stations & party stores. i dont think its going to change a thing.
    Well yes it wont stop violators from Baiting thats why we have CO's and responsable sportsmen and women to follow the laws and to report anyone who isnt. If they banned guns it wouldnt mean criminals wouldnt have them. Just because its avaliable doesnt give you the right to use it. And you have to remember it was still legal in the areas surrounding the TB zone, now thats its completely illegal accross the board, I think we will see a drastic decline in the sale of bait.
    Last edited by fstgstdsmpay; 08-27-2008 at 12:18 PM.

dodgensince74

remember it is only illegal to use the bait in that area, not sell it.

I am wondering if the state or feds will go in there and destroy all the captive deer in those areas that test positive to protect the other areas where the deer are still clean? I know they can't do much with the wild population but most of the penned hunt operations may be a little different.

Well yes it wont stop violators from Baiting thats why we have CO's and responsable sportsmen and women to follow the laws and to report anyone who isnt. If they banned guns it wouldnt mean criminals wouldnt have them. Just because its avaliable doesnt give you the right to use it. And you have to remember it was still legal in the areas surrounding the TB zone, now thats its completely illegal accross the board, I think we will see a drastic decline in the sale of bait.
    the sad fact about all that is people dont care. they will still buy it and use it. the CO's wont do anything about it because they are so few and far between. the state cant afford to pay them. in my area we used to have alot of them. in the past 10 years i havent even see one in the field. there all at the deer check stations.
    FBSA MEMBER