You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Default Twisting my strings

I made a bow-press this evening and I was going to tighten my strings/cables and put a new peep on. My question is, if I am getting 54# from my 60# phoenix, what should I twist and how much- to fix it? Thanks for the help.

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

What is the longest draw lenght of this bow
    and what is your draw lenght

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default reply

The draw on this bow is only adjustable with mod changes. It is set at 27''.

Default reply

cabelas sells that model only in 28 and 29''. Maybe I am wrong, Maybe I do shoot at 28 arrow on a 28 bow? Isn't draw measured from grip-string at full draw?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    cabelas sells that model only in 28 and 29''. Maybe I am wrong, Maybe I do shoot at 28 arrow on a 28 bow? Isn't draw measured from grip-string at full draw?
    The correct way to measure the BOW's DL is at full draw, from the string groove in the arrow nock to the deepest part of the grip PLUS 1 3/4". Some would also use the rest mount hole instead of the deepest part of the grip. So if you had a 28" module, it should measure 26 1/4 to the deepest part of the grip (or rest mount hole).
    If it's a 60 lb bow it should hit 60 and have the correct DL for the module. I would call Parker and see what you have there. They might also tell you how the cam should sit at rest, the ATA, BH, string and cable lenths.
    Last edited by red44; 08-27-2008 at 10:52 PM.
    FBSA Member

Default reply

stupid me. I looked at my sticker. It says 29''(how do I, 5'6'' comfortable shoot such length?). Ok, so now untwisting the STRING should increase my draw weight. Last time I brought the bow in the guy fiddled with it for a while cuz it wasn't getting any heavier draw. He eventualy ended up twist shortening the buss.

Quote Originally Posted by red44 View Post
    The correct way to measure the BOW's DL is at full draw, from the string groove in the arrow nock to the deepest part of the grip PLUS 1 3/4". Some would also use the rest mount hole instead of the deepest part of the grip. So if you had a 28" module, it should measure 26 1/4 to the deepest part of the grip (or rest mount hole).
    If it's a 60 lb bow it should hit 60 and have the correct DL for the module. I would call Parker and see what you have there. They might also tell you how the cam should sit at rest, the ATA, BH, string and cable lenths.
    for us big dummys CSS
    if the right mod is used then the dl will produce the max # on a bow
    or am I missing something

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

I'm not sure I'm understanding your question Smokes. If he has 60 lb limbs on the bow. It should be able to hit 60 no matter what DL module is on the cam, so long as everything is adjusted correct. ( I think I'm agreeing with you here Smokes)
    Tenderfoot, we are talking about a single cam here right?
    I assume your using a release, how about a D-loop?
    What's your wing span, finger tip to finger tip?
    You can only do so much with DL on a single cam. Untwisting the cable, and twisting the string will shorten draw lenth. BUT it's also going to lower the lbs and under-rotate the cam. If you need to shorten it by more than a 1/4" I think you'd be better off getting the right module.
    single cams:
    Twisting (tightening) the cable: Increases DL and DW, moves the nocking point up, and rotates the cam towards the string. Opposite for unwisting.
    Twisting (tightening) the string: Decreases DL, slightly decreases DW, and rotates the cam towards the riser. Opposite for untwisting.
    Last edited by red44; 08-28-2008 at 08:33 AM.
    FBSA Member

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    The draw on this bow is only adjustable with mod changes. It is set at 27''.
    those specs are for 30" at 70#
    I understand this is a general rule for all bow makers

Quote Originally Posted by Holy Smokes View Post
    those specs are for 30" at 70#
    I understand this is a general rule for all bow makers
    I know if you use an inch longer sting you will increase your draw wieght so taking out twist will lenghten the string if I understand correctly