You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default ? about humanely taking animals

I have been watching my hunting shows and I have seen numerous rifle and bow shots where the shooter hits the animal VERY close if not on the spine itself at the middle of the back. Is that a humane shot? I personally dont think it is, wouldnt that rank up there with getting parylized and lead to a slow drawn out death. Thats gotta suck. I havent taken many deer but something about those shots doesnt seem right.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Default reply

In primos Thruth III, the guy hit an elk with a longbow right in the spine like that. It dropped in it's tracks. It can be bad(inhumane) but if your broadhead is large enough you may get lucky and hit a major artery(maybe it is a vein) that runs along the spine. That should bring a deer down quick...ish, but I still prefer heart-shots(not that I am capable of making them myself )

Most of the "pro" hunters I see can barely hit a bucket a 5 yards so I doubt they are aiming for the spine. More than likely it is just a bad shot. Stuff like that happens even to the greatest (slipppy) hunters.

I would judge the humaneness of it by the hunters actions after paralyzing the animal. The 2nd buck I shot with a bow, I hit in the spine and he dropped in his tracks. I could tell it was going to take a long time for him to die, so I put another one where the first one should have went and left for an hour.

Even if someone is good enough to hit an animal in the spine on purpose, I'm not sure that doing so is entirely in-humane. After all, the deer will probably feel little pain (as is is paralyzed) and it will not need to run around bleeding to death. Instead, it will be in a nice pile right in front of the hunter where it can be dispensed of quickly.

I got a question though. Isn't the root word "human"? How do animals fit in there anyway?
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Sophia's dad

I have knocked down 2 different deer in the years past w/ spine shots. Both deer were taken by fire arm. Both deer were immobilized instantly, but both needed kill shots. The spine hits were not on purpose, just poorly placed @ longer distances 200-250 yds. In my opinion heart & lungs is the way to go.

Default reply

I saw a doe shot with a 7mm in the backstrap last year. Dropped totaly dead on impact as the best meat flew through the woods on the back side. I checked my info, and it is a major artery which runs below the spinal column. And somebody had a good point about a paralyzed deer not going far. I've seen (on tv) perfectly shot double-lunged deer run almost 100 yards and not go down for almost a minute. If he was right in front of you still and you got another arrow in him and he died within 20 seconds, isn't that more deer-mane in your book?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    I saw a doe shot with a 7mm in the backstrap last year. Dropped totaly dead on impact as the best meat flew through the woods on the back side. I checked my info, and it is a major artery which runs below the spinal column. And somebody had a good point about a paralyzed deer not going far. I've seen (on tv) perfectly shot double-lunged deer run almost 100 yards and not go down for almost a minute. If he was right in front of you still and you got another arrow in him and he died within 20 seconds, isn't that more deer-mane in your book?

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Same here. I've shot deer in the heart leaving holes big enough to stick the gun stock in. Off they ran. NOt very far. And I shot one through the spine on a longer shot. "Held way too high." You would have to be pretty quik with a stop watch to time the difference.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Team 6

I dont see anything wrong with a spine shot,they seem to drop most times...I think a broad side spine shot is risky because if you hit low you are going to have a animal on the run with a high hit which can create a low spotty blood trail...I have taken the so called hard angle stand shot "rite under you" 3 times and each time I aimed for the spine,3 harvest's that just dropped...Easy tracking my friends...

I'll give the Spinal Tap any day

I'll take a good ole double lunger anytime..........

"HONDA"

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I'll take a good ole double lunger anytime..........
    Yes sir BHH every time
    good blood trials

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default reply

i've had SO many deer walk right to my stand and right away offering me no broadside. I've never tried to crack their spines, because the steep angle is too unpredicatable(i never practice it). I am thinking about just getting a spear and jumping all these does and bucks. Oh, and I wouldn't want to hit skull or vertabrae or anything harder than a rib...it'd ruin my arrow and broadhead. I want clean pass throughs and re-usable arrows. As many does as I see they aint worth 15-20$ a piece

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    i've had SO many deer walk right to my stand and right away offering me no broadside. I've never tried to crack their spines, because the steep angle is too unpredicatable(i never practice it). I am thinking about just getting a spear and jumping all these does and bucks. Oh, and I wouldn't want to hit skull or vertabrae or anything harder than a rib...it'd ruin my arrow and broadhead. I want clean pass throughs and re-usable arrows. As many does as I see they aint worth 15-20$ a piece
    It is a shot that you should practice. Shoot a 3D at 5 yards or less, from different angles, to show where the arrow hits in relation to your closest pin, and then look at the angles, what the arrow would have passed through going out the bottom. Straight down is a extremely difficult shot. You might hit your stand, or a cam/limb could hit a part of your body. But, 5 yards is doable, and I also have had lots of deer walk under me. I harvested a couple confidently. I had it happen enough that I felt I should practice that shot. Just try to aim for the heart, and cut your way down through to it.
    A Arrow/broadhead is expendable. How do you value the deer's life? I seldom reuse a broadhead after a pass through, and as often as not lose, bust, bend the arrow.
    Last edited by Sniper; 09-02-2008 at 02:07 PM.