You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Default ? about humanely taking animals

I have been watching my hunting shows and I have seen numerous rifle and bow shots where the shooter hits the animal VERY close if not on the spine itself at the middle of the back. Is that a humane shot? I personally dont think it is, wouldnt that rank up there with getting parylized and lead to a slow drawn out death. Thats gotta suck. I havent taken many deer but something about those shots doesnt seem right.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Default reply

In primos Thruth III, the guy hit an elk with a longbow right in the spine like that. It dropped in it's tracks. It can be bad(inhumane) but if your broadhead is large enough you may get lucky and hit a major artery(maybe it is a vein) that runs along the spine. That should bring a deer down quick...ish, but I still prefer heart-shots(not that I am capable of making them myself )

Most of the "pro" hunters I see can barely hit a bucket a 5 yards so I doubt they are aiming for the spine. More than likely it is just a bad shot. Stuff like that happens even to the greatest (slipppy) hunters.

I would judge the humaneness of it by the hunters actions after paralyzing the animal. The 2nd buck I shot with a bow, I hit in the spine and he dropped in his tracks. I could tell it was going to take a long time for him to die, so I put another one where the first one should have went and left for an hour.

Even if someone is good enough to hit an animal in the spine on purpose, I'm not sure that doing so is entirely in-humane. After all, the deer will probably feel little pain (as is is paralyzed) and it will not need to run around bleeding to death. Instead, it will be in a nice pile right in front of the hunter where it can be dispensed of quickly.

I got a question though. Isn't the root word "human"? How do animals fit in there anyway?
    Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Sophia's dad

I have knocked down 2 different deer in the years past w/ spine shots. Both deer were taken by fire arm. Both deer were immobilized instantly, but both needed kill shots. The spine hits were not on purpose, just poorly placed @ longer distances 200-250 yds. In my opinion heart & lungs is the way to go.

Default reply

I saw a doe shot with a 7mm in the backstrap last year. Dropped totaly dead on impact as the best meat flew through the woods on the back side. I checked my info, and it is a major artery which runs below the spinal column. And somebody had a good point about a paralyzed deer not going far. I've seen (on tv) perfectly shot double-lunged deer run almost 100 yards and not go down for almost a minute. If he was right in front of you still and you got another arrow in him and he died within 20 seconds, isn't that more deer-mane in your book?

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    I saw a doe shot with a 7mm in the backstrap last year. Dropped totaly dead on impact as the best meat flew through the woods on the back side. I checked my info, and it is a major artery which runs below the spinal column. And somebody had a good point about a paralyzed deer not going far. I've seen (on tv) perfectly shot double-lunged deer run almost 100 yards and not go down for almost a minute. If he was right in front of you still and you got another arrow in him and he died within 20 seconds, isn't that more deer-mane in your book?

Pathfinder Arrow Wraps

Same here. I've shot deer in the heart leaving holes big enough to stick the gun stock in. Off they ran. NOt very far. And I shot one through the spine on a longer shot. "Held way too high." You would have to be pretty quik with a stop watch to time the difference.
    Where would America be without the "gun totting redneck"?

Team 6

I dont see anything wrong with a spine shot,they seem to drop most times...I think a broad side spine shot is risky because if you hit low you are going to have a animal on the run with a high hit which can create a low spotty blood trail...I have taken the so called hard angle stand shot "rite under you" 3 times and each time I aimed for the spine,3 harvest's that just dropped...Easy tracking my friends...

I'll give the Spinal Tap any day

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

I aim for tha biggest area I can
    in tha vitals of course
    some times i have hit tha spine and it dropa em in thier tracks iahve a had a couple crawl off and had to find em and I cut thier throat so they will bleed out and make good cuts of meat

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Bad thing about spine shoot you lose some of the back straps but if you shoot them quarting away if you shoot short you are still getting a lung

Senior Member Southernfryedyankee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by TEN RING View Post
    Bad thing about spine shoot you lose some of the back straps but if you shoot them quarting away if you shoot short you are still getting a lung
    Speaking of hungry I want some KBO's Rollups now THATS good eatin.
    Her hair glistened in the rain like a nose hair after a sneeze.

http://www.godscountryoutdoors.net
    http://http://www.meanvarchery.com/home.html

Quote Originally Posted by MagnifiedFur View Post
    I'll give the Spinal Tap any day

There are two large vessels that run on the inside (on a four-footed animal, it would be below) the spine. They are the Descendind Aorta, and the Inferior Vena Cava. The first is a artery, the second, a vein. Both carry most of the blood going from the heart, or returning it to it. The locations are actually protection by the bones of the spine. A rifle would blow through tissue and bone, and a close wound canal by a bullet, especially a expanding hunting bullet, may rupture either or both by Hydrostatic Shock. That's the pressure waves of the fluid in the tissues as a bullet bulls through at high speed. FMJs give great penetration, but reduced Hydrostatic Shock. Animals, and people, for that matter, shot with a spitzer type FMJ may not even fall down, as it punctures more than dumps it's energy the way a expanding bullet does.
    Hitting the spine, or close to it, wouldn't necessarily hit either vessel.
    The Hydrostatic Shock of a hunting bullet passing close to the spinal column could shock the cord, causing temporary or permanent paralysis. The wound of animals or people that survive gunshot wound have the area all around the wound channel die off and have to have the tissue around them cut out, as it is dead tissue, and would rot and fester.
    I've shot straight down through a spine with a arrow, into the heart, and out the chest. Deer went 2 yards.
    I doubt anybody aims to hit a spine with a rifle or bow. I've seen deer at the butcher with broadheads stuck in vertebra. It would be a risky shot, to say the least, with a bow, regardless of arrow speed or broadhead.
    I think, and hope, all hunters aim for the 10 ring, and hit a 8 or 5. Just like on a 3D course.
    Aiming between the eyes of a deer looking at you while bowhunting is risky business also. You may go right into the brain, and get a cool picture after, but you may bounce of the skull, or cause a grevious facial injury without causing a mortal wound.
    Last edited by Sniper; 08-29-2008 at 02:28 AM.

Ive never spined a deer with arrow,but I have hit a deer in the spine with a gun. Biggest buck Ive shot at in my life. Hit him high in the back at 175 yards. He dropped like a brick. Laid there dead for 5 minutes. I wanted to run out to him as soon as he hit the ground. But my buddy who was in the blind with me said no dont go anywhere he's not moveing. So we sat for a minute to calm our nerves(well, my nerves). Next thing I know we take two steps out of the blind and the deer gets up and runs away . Crazyest thing Ive ever seen. The thing laid there for all that time and then wam,,like nothing happened he got up and ran away. After a day and a half of chaseing him I never did get the beatiful ten point. But heres the crazy part. He lived. My buddy missed him 2 weeks later on video during muzzleloader season. Moral of the story..if you spine a deer get to the deer as soon as possible to dispacth said deer. If I had got out of the blind as soon as I shot I could have walked over to him and finished the job.The spine is a weird place to hit animals and crazy things can and do happen.
    I never miss, my arrows always hit something
    FBSA STAFF GRILLER

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

Your still better off going for a lung shot, it's a large organ and certainly lethal. It really offers as good a killing shot as a heart shot and that's not from my experience (although from the deer I've taken I agree) but the opinion of a man who has tracked hundreds of deer. I'm with Sniper aim, for an 8 -10-11 ring hit.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Much inside of 10 yards from 30' high, just inside the spine is the place to aim. The arrow exits low oppisite rib cage and usually takes both lungs.

lol I can say it in just 3 little letters.
    RPG
    lol
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

I'll take a good ole double lunger anytime..........

"HONDA"

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Quote Originally Posted by BowhuntnHoosier View Post
    I'll take a good ole double lunger anytime..........
    Yes sir BHH every time
    good blood trials

Switchback xt BYC LOOP- SHOOT NOW56# 385gr 2312 Eclipse 100gr Muzzy 256fps SEPTER RANGER STRINGS, 4th axis,335 jammers @ 61# =285 fps

Default reply

i've had SO many deer walk right to my stand and right away offering me no broadside. I've never tried to crack their spines, because the steep angle is too unpredicatable(i never practice it). I am thinking about just getting a spear and jumping all these does and bucks. Oh, and I wouldn't want to hit skull or vertabrae or anything harder than a rib...it'd ruin my arrow and broadhead. I want clean pass throughs and re-usable arrows. As many does as I see they aint worth 15-20$ a piece