You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Tenderfoot View Post
    i've had SO many deer walk right to my stand and right away offering me no broadside. I've never tried to crack their spines, because the steep angle is too unpredicatable(i never practice it). I am thinking about just getting a spear and jumping all these does and bucks. Oh, and I wouldn't want to hit skull or vertabrae or anything harder than a rib...it'd ruin my arrow and broadhead. I want clean pass throughs and re-usable arrows. As many does as I see they aint worth 15-20$ a piece
    It is a shot that you should practice. Shoot a 3D at 5 yards or less, from different angles, to show where the arrow hits in relation to your closest pin, and then look at the angles, what the arrow would have passed through going out the bottom. Straight down is a extremely difficult shot. You might hit your stand, or a cam/limb could hit a part of your body. But, 5 yards is doable, and I also have had lots of deer walk under me. I harvested a couple confidently. I had it happen enough that I felt I should practice that shot. Just try to aim for the heart, and cut your way down through to it.
    A Arrow/broadhead is expendable. How do you value the deer's life? I seldom reuse a broadhead after a pass through, and as often as not lose, bust, bend the arrow.
    Last edited by Sniper; 09-02-2008 at 03:07 PM.

Last year I took 2 deer with spine shots. Both deer passed under my stand and were walking straight away from me. Both shots passed completely through the spine and passed through the heart (both deer were at about 5 yards). Both deer piled up right there and expired very quickly. No meat was lost and no tracking was required.

I guess it would be your confidence level with the shot.
    Elite Synergy (311 FPS) - GT Arrows - Sling Braid
    Zona Archery Longbow - Cedar Arrows

Keeping the FBSA in fashionable clothing

Team 6

Quote Originally Posted by Slice View Post
    Last year I took 2 deer with spine shots. Both deer passed under my stand and were walking straight away from me. Both shots passed completely through the spine and passed through the heart (both deer were at about 5 yards). Both deer piled up right there and expired very quickly. No meat was lost and no tracking was required.

I guess it would be your confidence level with the shot.
    I think your rite,,I practice this shot,I think its important to be able to make this shot...I have took the shot 4 times,first time i missed over top...I started practicing the shot and i still do...I think the biggest thing is waiting for the spine to line up in-line with all your pins,I have a 5 yrd pin just for this shot....I have had 3 harvests since,all dropped...The Lungs are very easy to hit from above and your more than likely going to hit the Heart on exit...I think Bow hunters are used to looking at the Vitals from a side view,think about where they are from above...

Guys climb up your stand and put your Block a few yards away and give it a shot or two...I think that shot is going to come up in the field...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

Even if you miss the spine itself, and the heart, the wound down through the chest will cut up lots of vascular stuff, and the exit wound very low will drain a easy trail if it doesnt go down in a few seconds.
    But you gotta practice it to know where that arrow will go, in relation to your closest pin.