You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Question Why do we shoot?

I'm a new member of this forum, so please forgive me if I mess up anything. I still have some tweeking of my personal information (avatar, etc.) to do.

I did not want to get off the subject on another thread so I've started a new one. I believe someone raised a question about why we shoot, on a different thread and I've been asked this question at a local tournament by a local newspaper this year. Here's my answer.

I want to never wound anything (it will still happen eventually). I want to see my "Sunday Family" (local coalition shooters) every weekend. Pick my yardage, make a shot...darn it, must have been 46yards instead of 43. It's the challenge. It's the good natured ribbing from friends. It's listening to the woods "wake-up" in the morning after I've walked in in the pitch black. And during my walk in, I stop. Because I can feel eyes on me. Listen for a few seconds....no sounds. Next footstep taken a small herd of deer blasts through the woods cause I just walked up on them. Here comes the chill bumps.
    When that hawk is gliding through the trees like a silent stealth bomber, then suddenly veers off at 10 feet from my head (must have looked like a meal).
    When that naive button buck reers up onto the back of an old doe and she says get away from me with her actions.
    When I'm concentrating so hard on an animal or 3-d target a tear almost comes out--I feel excited and drained at the same time, but no matter the outcome I know I put everything I had into that last shot.

I shoot because for that fraction of a second when the arrow is on its way, nothing else in this world matters......THUMP!.....back to reality----is it an 8 or 10......OR----lets find my arrow and some blood to trail.

So, why do YOU shoot a bow?
    Home-a-lite
    "Doing the best I can....AT ALL TIMES!"

Hunting:
    02 Mighty Mite 27'' 72lbs
    Beman Matrix 468gr. 255fps

Target:
    04 Protec 27.5'' 70lbs
    GT Pro22 349gr. 260fps

Quote Originally Posted by Home-a-lite
    is it an 8 or 10......
    MAN, that's amazing... My answer would have been EXACTLY the same as yours!!! Word for word.... With the exception of the line stated above.. Mine would have said:

Quote Originally Posted by NE1C my arrow
    is it a 10 or 12.......

Just kidding man.

Nice thoughts. And
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

Man, thats good stuff. Welcome to the forum. I believe you could put that on posters and sell 'em.

Great post and welcome to the forum.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

in Dixie Home of the Brave and land of the Free

Default Why

Great Job Homey, That fits me to a tee. I was wonder how our predecessors felt with those sticks and stones in thier hands in the misty early morn as they were enjoying the thrill of bowhunting and I'm sure thier own type of target shootin. Ain't nothing like enjoying the Great Creators bountiful Blessins of the sweet outdoors. Keep up the incredibal posts for I will be looking forward to them. Are you a Bow mag editor? God Bless & Striaght Shootin,HS

Default Why do I shoot??

Well lets see maybe because its a BLAST Other than that I'm not sure??????????

"HONDA"

Wow, after my performance today I would like to change my quote from above to:

Quote Originally Posted by NE1C my arrow
    Did that hit foam??? Great, now is it a 5 or an 8???

Actually, the reason I shoot 3D is for the comraderie as well as the solitude of it. I mean, it's just you out there and whatever happens is a direct result of the choices you make and the level of commitment you put into it. It's a great way for me to get away from everything for a while, enjoy being with like minded people and challenge myself to do the best I can do. I love the competition of it, and you can't blame anyone but yourself if you have a bad day.

As for hunting.. I actually quit hunting for a while and focused mainly on competitive shooting (although I'm not that good at it). But, last year I got back into bow hunting again and alot of what was described in the first post about being there when the woods wake up, watching squirrels play mere feet from where you are and countless other things that people that don't hunt will probably never understand, is exactly the reason I got back into hunting. It allows me to literally get away from everything, and I'm just as happy to see nothing at all except for a chipmunk playing as I would be to see that 190 class buck walk out in front of me (yeah right, like that would EVER happen to me!! ).
    "It's closer than it looks, but farther than it appears." - Yeah, I said that.

Default Wow

Hell of a first post. I would have to agree with ya. I to love walking in and getting to my stand sitting there just waiting for the woods to wake up. I have see some things that I know none of my friends will probably never see because they don't hunt, and I feel fortunate that I was there to see it. I love getting to a 3D shoot and seeing everyone warming up and how hopeful they are. Groups of people talking and laughing. Watching people come in and frown or smile at there score card. getting to meet good new people and hearing the stories. Knowing guys that are exceptional shooters that will take time to help ya if you need it and they are not arrogant and rude like most people that are good in other sports. Everything from hunting to 3D,300rnd, and field round. I dont think I could ever walk away from it
    Target: Hoyt ProElite XT3000 C2, 60# 30", CBE Quad Lite, CBE 3x .019, Trophy Taker, Easton Fatboy 400's(indoor) lightspeed 400 (outdoor)

Hunting: 2009 Alphamax35 (Blacked out) 70#, 29", HHA Slider, Bisquit, Easton ACC 3-60, Rage 100 gr. 2 blade

Welcome, might just be the best first post ever, I think. It says just about every thing everone was thinking all at once.
    I cut things up and split them down!