You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Hybrid View

the long Caribou

Default rookie with a Caribou

Hello everyone. After letting my Bear super magnum 44" bow gather dust for too long I took her out and began shooting againg and splurged and bought a newer look-alike:2008 Reflex Caribou 44"ATA compound. I did check out the newer parallel limb shorter designs and they just did not agree with me. Like my older Browning side by side shotgun that I love over my other guns to duck hunt with, I favor my long bow. Anyway, I love the balance and feel and smoothness of my bow even if it is a "dog" in terms of speed compared to the all the more compact models out there. I am 6'4" tall, DL 31". I got the Caribou fitted with a Whisker Biscuit rest, Apex Atomic 4 pin sight, still using Easton xx75 340 alum arrows, Tru-fire relese, Alpine quiver. My goal: the elusive Osceola gallopavus. Of course, I would settle for a hog. Wondering if anybody else out there uses a bow of this dimension. I have been adept at hunting turkeys in the spring with a shotgun but this is a different ballgame. Any suggestions, other than practice, practice. practice? Good hunting to all, seems we're getting sideswipped by a couple of hurricanes in the next week or so.

Shoot with whatever agrees with you. I think there is another Caribou shooter here. But I think with fingers. Gallopavus? Is that a local name or latin? And welcome.
    FBSA Member

the long Caribou

Default rookie

Thank you red44! I agree that fit, guns or bows, is paramount. Increased speeds, as touted by nearly all the mfg.'s, of course they are in keen competition with each other, can be dazzling. To continue the comparison with gunning, I have noticed that the faster velocity shotgun shells I began using some years ago in duck hunting, do indeed contribute to more efficiency on harvesting ducks but you reach a point of diminishing returns and there are limits. Part of the reason I bought this bow was to also learn the finger-shooting method and this bow may be more workable and forgiving for that purpose. I believe all the turkey species in North America are meleagris gallopavus, and yes that is latin taxonomic naming. Our wily Osceola turkey is really challenging. I have finally reached a good knowledge of hunting them and even success- last season I stood to stretch and lost one opportunity. I have been to South africa three times now, and managed to successfully hunt with a rifle for different game. If and when I return (my wife has family there), I would like very much to utilize a bow and harvest an impala, warthog, kudu, and the like. Many game farms there have become bowhunting-only affairs. I am in south Florida, what part of North America are you? Sorry, I just saw the caption in se. Mass. I am just familiarizing myself with this site and forum. Just talked with a very good friend in Delaware- he is my duck hunting mentor by way of Lafayette, La.Good hunting!

I am in the northeast. Never hunted anywhere but in the northeast. I do use a shotgan and muzzleloader also, but nothing high tech. Archery is the favorite way for me.
    FBSA Member

the long Caribou

Default rookie

I like to keep it simple also. Part of me says geez, why weren't you bow hunting 20 years ago? Well, I came "late" to fishing and hunting but it has all made feel younger. I have actually met some fellows my age (54), who were born on a farm and hunted from the beginning and have become cynical and gave it up a long time ago and that is sad and I realize I have only begun. I am a middle school teacher in History, and the other day I took my bow (minus arrows) to class to demonstrate the energy-storing nature of the bow, which some have said to be among the first such devices in human history, being a quantum jump from say, an atlatl for delivering spears. I got to thinking about fletching and how that possibly came into being. I had just finished a lesson about Ponce de Leon's arrival to Florida and his demise, receiving an arrow in the neck region from a native here. Our archery season mid-state begins in late september, and I am planning an early October trip there to bag the turkey or pig.