You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thread: Blazer vanes

Default Blazer vanes

I currently shoot 4" vanes, straight fletch on Eason ST axis arrows. Shoot 100 grain, Cabela's expandables.
    Would like to hear opinions re: changing to 2.25-3" blazer/quick spin vanes.
    I plan to purchase a hunting blind and will be using fixed blades as well as plan on getting Rage 2 blades for this season.

Huntin Junkie

Blazer all the way. Don't matter what kind of boradhead you shoot. They work and are tough.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Another vote for Blazers...........I have nothing bad at all to say about them. They are just plain tuff and stabalize broadheads great.

"HONDA"

Default blazers

I shot both blazers and quick spins blazers by far tough as nails and fly get.
    Mathews DXT

HHA

mathews drop away rest

Victory V1

Shrewd stabilizer

Another vote for blazers I use the for all my shooting, I shoot 5 spot 3D and hunt. Blazers are as tough as nails they are priced well and they guide an arrow as well or better than anything out there.
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

I shoot blazers on my axis's as well. Love the flight, however, I listened to them a while back while standing behind a tree near our target...they do make noise. I'm shootin 308 fps,,,listened to my buddy shootin his at 328 fps and they're a tad louder. Got a 100pk of duravane predators on their way. My shop tech says they're every bit of a blazer except they're thicker so they dont flutter at high speeds like the blazers do..we'll see if that is infact the case. If so...im gonna have a ton of blazers in my tackle box not being used..
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com

Adam of Archery Outfitter fstgstdsmpay's Avatar

Blazers are tops been using them for years now. My favorite vane by far

Quote Originally Posted by hunter2678 View Post
    I shoot blazers on my axis's as well. Love the flight, however, I listened to them a while back while standing behind a tree near our target...they do make noise. I'm shootin 308 fps,,,listened to my buddy shootin his at 328 fps and they're a tad louder. Got a 100pk of duravane predators on their way. My shop tech says they're every bit of a blazer except they're thicker so they dont flutter at high speeds like the blazers do..we'll see if that is infact the case. If so...im gonna have a ton of blazers in my tackle box not being used..
    This is the first I heard of them being noisey, I'll have to give a listen when I shoot. I havent noticed any noise
    Mathews Ovation 60 lbs 29 Dl- Ranger custom Strings
    HHA 5500 ol - Trophy Taker shakey hunter-
    Tru Ball pro diamond- Gold Tip X-cutters= awsome shootin'
    (new)FBSA Member

I have 350 Carbon Express Aramids with Blazers with 100 grain tips and they seem very quiet during flight.
    I know the sound you are talking about and certain fletching tend to create this more then others, some of the causes that can cater to this would be extreme helical or offset , offset and helical are good but some twist them more then necessary which causes more drag which creates more noise also one factor I have seen that also contributes to a lot of arrow flight noise is using the above with the light thin wall carbons or aluminums when running a arrow that is set up or favored for the 5 grains per pound category this type of arrow will resonate or increase the amount of noise in flight a light arrow of this type will almost sound light a tracer due to any type of contact with the rest or the resistance of the fletching in flight.

Just some of the things I have seen when working with everyone getting ready for the fall hunt every year.
    I hope this info helps a little

Good Luck this Fall
    The only one that is your competitor is the air between your ears!

Quote Originally Posted by Mathews Man View Post
    This is the first I heard of them being noisey, I'll have to give a listen when I shoot. I havent noticed any noise
    I thought they were absolutley silent too...I've always been a big proponent of blazers, however they do make a buzzing noise from my bow and 2 of my buddies who shoot faster than me I shoot 308 fps....We all confirmed that they do make a buzz. Now if I can get a quieter arrow with these predator vanes and not lose the great flight of the blazers Im switching..still waiting on them to arrive.

Im shooting a RH helical blazer on a 386 gn axis arrow @308 fps.

My other buddy (Steve) shoots a straight fletched 300gn blazer arrow @ 328 FPS

Dave shoots a 350 gn maxima w/helical blazers and gets 335 fps.

All arrows have been listened to many times downrange by each of us and we can all hear a noticeable buzz. However the arrows are so fast it may not really matter in the end. The one thing we can all agree on is that if we can find a quieter vane and not lose "blazer" flight we'll switch to gain any possible advantage in the field regardless.
    Last edited by hunter2678; 09-08-2008 at 10:06 AM.
    Extreme Strings Staff......www.extremebowstrings.com