You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Default Need Help w/ a bow

I am fairly new to bowhunting. I have shot the last few years with a PSE Nova. I know this is an introductory bow and I'm now looking to upgrade. I'm looking for a good all around bow (moderately priced) no more than $500.00. I was looking at the PSE thunderbolt. Can anyone give me some ideas on quality bows. I'd appreciate the advice.

Sophia's dad

I just went through the same ordeal. R U looking for new or used?

Default reply

Nobody real LIKES parker because they make mediocre bows. They aren't bad, but they aren't tops. Most guys just spend the extra 100-200 on fancy junk. If you are realy strapped on budget, check them out.

Tell us a bit more so we can help you. Do you plan on using it mainly for hunting? Are 4'' groups acceptable at 30 yards, or must you be smacking shaft to shaft? Do you know anything about your cam aggresion preferences and let of likes? Tree stand or ground hunter? Average shot distance? Do you pack your bow long distances into the woods(must you have a light bow?)?

There are alot of great bows out there for $500 and under. Just need to visit alot of shops unless you are lucky enough to have one that carries all the manufacturers. Good luck and have fun looking.

"HONDA"

I would look into the Martin Bengal not a bad priced bow I believe in the low to mid 400. I have been shooting one for 2 years now and this is my second one it is also my 3rd Martin over all. It is also voted the best buy the last 2 years in bowhunter magazine. If someone around you is a dealer check it out

The PSE Thunderbolt is a great bow. I had one with the old maxis dual cam, it was a good shooter.

Default New bow

I just had my Martin Panther take a dump on me so I had to buy a new bow a few days ago. I got a used Browning Illusion from a bowsmith that i know it was his personal bow and got it for 350.00. But if you go on ebay you can get a real nice bowtech, matthews, or Fred Bear bows from bowshops or other people. Sometimes they are brand new and still come with warranty u can check that out. I saw a bowtech Commander on there with case, quiver, and arrows for 550.00.

PSE Brute might fit the bill.
    Pearson Z-32 52# 28 1/2"
    Slick Trick Mags TEAM 2

I haven't shot one yet, but the Bow Tech Tomkat looks like a great bow for the money.

First off:

I agree with taking a look at Parker, but also look into both the Diamond Line and The Fred Bear Line. All are great quality bows for the money. Just be sure to shoot as many as you can and then make the choice, but also look into a good used bow in the classified ads here as well.

Good luck with whatever you choose.
    Only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you:
    Jesus Christ & The American G. I.
    One died for your soul, the other for your freedom.

Some People spend their whole lives wondering if they made a difference in the world.
    Luckily our Service Men and Women don't have that problem.

Default reply

we are just confusing you more I bet. I agree-shoot them all often before you pick. Look at a bowtech tomkat for starters, and make sure you get a bow with good brace height 7.25''+

I will hook you up with a great Rytra Triad. one of the top end bows at a great price. Bare or loaded
    Quick Stand Archery Patent Pending
    Home of the Quick Stand Compound Bow Stand
    An proud member of the FBSA
    message of the week . . . . Well I will never be all right, Because I am half left. lol

Team 6

Im not trying to knock PSE or the Thunder Bolt...I had one, got it new,shot it maybe a dozen times and my top limb warped...Kind of left a bad taste in my mouth...I have seen many PSE since then with the same limb problems...I hope they have addressed this issue...

IMO,I think you can get a better built bow for $500.00...
    To become a Bow Hunter,you must become a Archer first !!!

Bow Bend'n & Bone Bag'n
    team 6
    1.MagnifiedFur
    2.bamaboydave
    3.red man
    4.tnts79
    5.bowcraze30

I know nothing about PSE but Martin makes great bows for mid level shooters for a very reasonable price.
    Prostaff of whatever DB uses.