You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.

Thumbs up Backtension Info from Eric Griggs

There was a discussion on another forum regarding backtension and methods that the pros use to make them fire. There seems to be a lot of discussion about release rotation vs pulling totally with your back and making it fire.

My own personal opinion is that a certain amount of release rotation is an absolute necessity in order for the release to fire. I don't think that just twisting your wrist is the right way to do it. That said, a relaxed grip on the release and less pressure on your index finger will cause a very slight rotation all while pulling with your back.

Here's what Eric posted.
    To start with let me say that I strongly recomend setting a triggerless bt release with a good bit of travel. No disrespect to anyone who is successfull with a trigerless bt release and doesn't shoot this way, but I would say that virtually everyone at the top who is using a pure bt release is shooting it with travel. And...If your shooting it with travel you can not fire the release off back tension alone. You have to maintain back tension and that's important, but moving your hand and fingers is what makes that thing fire. The travel is important because it makes you stay active in the shot. You always keep pulling regardless of what the sight is doing. With a good bit of travel anticipation becomes a non-factor as well. For everyone who is shooting there release on the edge or have shot this in the past ask yourself this question. How many times have you been tenative with your release or had a hard time firing it in a pressure situation? Unless your lying to yourself this has happened to everyone who has shot a triggerless bt release set up light or with the clicker. Not to say it can't happen when you set them up with travel, but you know that you have to get after the release to make it fire so it forces you to be aggressive. I'll give you a great example of this. Nathan Brooks was in the shootoff in Vegas last year and let down after holding for a really long time. He got rid of the release in his hand and got a different one. After the fact I asked him what the deal was and he said he switched to a HEAVIER release. I was suprised at first, but when he explained it to me it made perfect sense. He was having problems getting it to fire and he knew once he swithed to something with even more travel that it would force him to be aggressive to get the release to fire. I know that this isn't going to work for everyone, but the topic came up so I figured I would add my thoughts.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Never thought of it that way. May have to reset all my hinges and get back to the 10 yard range. Been holding way to long and nothing is moving.

It's interesting to hear what the pros say about shooting and technique. I always listen to what people say. Especially, if they shoot better than I do. I don't alway agree with everything, but I try to listen.

You would not believe how much of a beating I took a few years ago when I asked the local proshop owner to get me some Limbsavers when they went to vegas. My buddies and the shop owner all thought I was nuts.

At the time I was shooting a Mach 8 that sounded like a .22 when shot it. It was really fast at the time. The limb savers helped a lot. Gee, it sure was funny when everyone at the shop had them shortly after I put mine on.

Just goes to show you, keep an open mind.
    Chris Christenson - Admin
    3DShoots.com - Find Archery Shoots near you
    ObsessionArchery.com - Archery Supplies

Default regarding backtention fire

I recently started using the solution3 for backtention,tried the longhorn,and the zenith comfort style,it's not the ordinary BT.
    I really am noticing a improvement overall in my shooting,due to the releases shortened up the draw a tad,which helped me hold my form better for backtention. That going back into the pressure on the blades in the back muscles with a constant pulling motion?Well boys and girls,it's working....
    I think the backtention is the way to go for anyone who wants to rid of the problems i have been having.
    I have to say it isn't a full cure for the archer who is punching a release or having panic problems.It IS a real touchy subject to say the least because I just am getting into the realm of proshooters for my first year.I have been dealing with all sort of issues conserning form and I know that the real delema I have been facing is getting the target I am shooting at in my firing comfort zone with my form consistently.
    Using the backtention and only the backtention makes the shooter hold his/or her focus and form consistently on the target. Shoot at any target consistently by means of backtention form?, most archers who only hunt or shoot a traditional fingers would never understand what this means,by form.Shooting at 80 yards I know I am going to be in a 3ring or a 5 ring when I release,I can just tell the difference quite easily,soon as I release.It's not that good ole'?question?"where did that one go?"
    I suggest starting archery with a backtention,GOD,I wish I did years ago.
    Last edited by glenny; 06-10-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Talking

I've been shooting a backtension release not for approx 8 months.... I am still figuring this thing out. Anyway, I have setup my release so as my elbow only has to move approximately an inch when pulling with the back muscles to make it go off. I also grab the release so as I have as much a closed fist as possible in an effort to eliminate the fingers from moving. This works very consitently however I do have to focus intently on pulling with my back muscles or my subconscious mind will have me twisting my wrist. I do know for certain that when I do perform it correctly I shoot more consistently.

in the words of terry ragsdale "when your holding x number of pounds at full draw, back tension is some thing that you can not help but having". i struggled with back tension 4 about 5-7 months . my problom was that when you try to push and pull and aim at the same time it gets a little hectic. try this! pull back, anchor, and aim. terry ragsdale says to use just the tension that it takes to hold. the first problom i ran into is that as u aim u start to feel the release rotate, try shooting 2 fingers, u dont feel the release move nearly as much as 3 or 4 fingers. for examples of this technique; john dudly, at least thats how he shoots on the 'straight talk from the pro's'' video. also someone who shoots this technique is tony clem. try this and get back to me with hopefully with success!!!

I also listen to good shooters but i also beleive that if you get into a system that you are comftorable with then you should stick with it. Not everyone is going to shoot the same as Eric or Nathan which are both great shooters. But just like form not each person is going to be able to shoot Eric or Nathans form everyone has to get into there system. If it works go for it i say. Just dont go way out in left field and get bad habits.
    T.R.U Ball Staff Shooter
    Bohning Archery Staff Shooter

Try the new Carter Evolution True Back Tension Release. It will change your whole outlook on True Back Tension. It is AWESOME!!! Check it out folks. I have 2 of them and they are simply outstanding releases.

Default Good thread on back tension.

I remember asking Eric Griggs to post this info.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

If you have to use finger and hand movement to augment the back tension process why not just shoot a standard release with back tension

Default Eric and Nathan both shoot BT like this

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyBee View Post
    If you have to use finger and hand movement to augment the back tension process why not just shoot a standard release with back tension
    Im quessing it works for them. Both showed me this in Tenn one evening.

Here a Video of Nathan shooting

Backtension Info from Eric Griggs - General Archery Forum
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers