You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Archer lookin for bow advice

Ok here goes, Im very interested in getting a bow and learning to shoot well, so I can hunt Whitetails next year. The biggest question is what to get. I have around $1200 budget to get equipment. I really like the guys at our local shop, and they carry mostly Bowtech, Diamond, and Mathews (both regular mathews and Mission) I was wondering if you think its better to start out with a coplete package setup, or let them build you one with everything you need. Since its late in the year the only package bows they have left in their shop are a Matthews Mission and a Parker Phoenix 32. I have pulled back all the bows in their shop and I like the feel of the Drenalin, DXT and belive it or not the Parker best. Do you think It would be better to get the Parker since its a complete package steup? It costs alot less at around 535 dollars on sale. The dxt and drenalin are both priced at over 700 dollars for the bow only. I think with my budget i could outfit either one of the others so I guess Im lookin for some opinions here. What do you all think?

Or perhaps I would be better off waiting till the new 2009 bows come out? What you guys think?

Way Lowest Junior Member bowtech-john's Avatar

Default Package Bow Bargains

A package bow is just that, a package bow. If you can live with what that setup comes with. Pulling back a bow doesn't tell you anything, you have to shoot the bow to see if it fits you. Your proshop should be willing to set up each bow you want to try with a rest and sight to see how each bow fits and shoots for you. '08-'09 probably only difference will be price.
    I shoot bonarrow.

Sophia's dad

I went w/ a used bow. 450.00 for a 08' commander. accessories were new, about 500.00. awesome bow. If you are not hunting this year put an ad here in the wanted to buy section, or check ebay. I bought mine from a friend, so I can still have him send it in for warranty work, otherwise the risk is no warranty if you buy used. 1200 is plenty to get almost what ever you will want, Just don't buy something you will out grow too quickly. Have fun, & good luck!!!

I say wait for a couple months til the 09's are released...or look at a used bow, there are alot of good deals out there.

I would suggest shooting all the models you can before buying. If the shop you're shopping won't do that, you my want to find another one that will. The Bowtech General with a Limbdriver rest is one combination at the top of my wish list.

definitely shoot everything you can. I would wait for the 09's myself, if you buy a bow and let them put everything on it it would be best. i was never a huge fan of package bows.
    Target: Elite Energy, Copper John A.N.T.S., TT SS II, Posten 28" Victory X-Ringer HV 312gr.

Woods: Mathews Switchback, Trophy Ridge 5 pin, QAD Rest, Maxima Arrows

GO TEAM 3!!

I had him set up the Parker Phoenix for me and I really liked teh way it felt when i shot it. I figured since it was marked at such a good price, I actually bought it at near dealer cost I was able to buy extra arrows, a new release, a nice hard case, and all my accessories for within my budget. I think this will let me get a good expierience with everything and I cant wait to get out and start practicing. Another thing i really liked about this Parker was the grip. I thought It had alot better feeling grip than the Mathews, and the bowtechs which were the other 2 brands my local shop carries. Archery sure is fun!!!

Way Lowest Junior Member bowtech-john's Avatar

Thumbs up Congrats on the new bow!

And welcome to the addicting world of archery.
    I shoot bonarrow.

I also am new to the board and after many years of wanting to, I'm getting into bow hunting.
    I took a different approach. I didn't ask friends that shoot bow for any advise or even to tag along with me because they would have tried to steer me to what works for them. I just simply went to a good bow shop that sells all brands and started talking to them, telling them everything that I thought might help them help me. I wanted something that is easy to learn on but I also don't want to wish I would have bought something better in a year or so. To make a long story short, I ended up with a Hoyt.

Default Good Choice

Quote Originally Posted by DUSTER44T View Post
    I also am new to the board and after many years of wanting to, I'm getting into bow hunting.
    I took a different approach. I didn't ask friends that shoot bow for any advise or even to tag along with me because they would have tried to steer me to what works for them. I just simply went to a good bow shop that sells all brands and started talking to them, telling them everything that I thought might help them help me. I wanted something that is easy to learn on but I also don't want to wish I would have bought something better in a year or so. To make a long story short, I ended up with a Hoyt.
    Hoyt a great bow. Outstanding shooters on there staff. Katera and the ultra- Elite bows are both super bows. Good luck and have fun in archery thats the ley to good shooting.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

I'm really looking forward to learning how to shoot it. I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions as time goes on. At this point I don't even know enough to know what questions to ask.

Quote Originally Posted by DUSTER44T View Post
    I'm really looking forward to learning how to shoot it. I'm sure I'm going to have tons of questions as time goes on. At this point I don't even know enough to know what questions to ask.
    Don't be afraid to ask quesitons you feel are dumb, because we all start there. At first I was aftraid of being a dumb girl asking questions, but archery is FULL of truly great people and they love nothing more than to help people get started and share the love of the sport. I ask tons of questions all the time because it's all I ever think about, I'm totally addicted! My nonarchery friends think I've flipped my gourd but I'm having the time of my life! Welcome to the sport and prepare to be addicted like the rest of us!

Quote Originally Posted by 1DevineShooter View Post
    Don't be afraid to ask quesitons you feel are dumb, because we all start there. At first I was aftraid of being a dumb girl asking questions, but archery is FULL of truly great people and they love nothing more than to help people get started and share the love of the sport. I ask tons of questions all the time because it's all I ever think about, I'm totally addicted! My nonarchery friends think I've flipped my gourd but I'm having the time of my life! Welcome to the sport and prepare to be addicted like the rest of us!
    You do not need a top of the line bow to whitetail hunt pic a model you that fits you and go with it. The bow must fit you not the seller! I am shooting a Mathews FX bow that 10 years old it fit's me like a glove. I am ready to update to a new bow in the next year.
    Last edited by Breck; 10-13-2008 at 08:29 PM.

Old Archer

Default If its right for you buy it!

Hi,

I would put my bucks all into the Bow, allowing me to have the best I could afford. Thats after shooting as many bows as you can get your hands on. Don't fall into temptation from pro shops, freinds, or sales associates at big
    chain stores. Listen to what they have to say, then shoot the bows, and make your purchase on what feels good to you, both in your hand and in your pocket book. After that, buy a good rest a start shooting the thing,
    until you are very comfortable with it. Then and only then you can finish and accessorize the bow. Thats my 2 cents - good hunting!

Parker makes great bows, and if you liked the way it feels then you done a good job. Use the extra you saved to get accessories that you want. Extra arrows and such.

Default make sure its what you want

if the parker felt right on the pullback its most likely going to shoot good for you
    ask the people at the proshop to let you shoot it if they have a range and see if you like the weight and everything
    a bow is a big investment
    make sure its what you want
    make sure it feels right but not at too big of an expense.
    and i like most of the 08 bows more than the 09's
    bowtechs 09's are sweet
    but theyre 08's are just as pretty and shoot just as good
    the only people i think upped theyre 09 game is matthews - the monster at 350+ ibo speed
    thats just intense

Default Coaching

Something that I would suggest is to get some coaching at the beginning (and later on too). It will help you to start with good habits at the start instead of having to unlearn bad habits later on. Trust me worth the money.
    CSAA Member

"One of the serious problems in planning against American doctrine is that the Americians do not read their manuals nor do they feel any obligations to follow their doctrine." - From a Russian Document

Default Good thought

Quote Originally Posted by Too Many Hobbies View Post
    Something that I would suggest is to get some coaching at the beginning (and later on too). It will help you to start with good habits at the start instead of having to unlearn bad habits later on. Trust me worth the money.

If I had taken more coaching in the begginning it would have saved me alot of money trying to purchase items to gain points.
    DB
    Elite bows, Vortex Binos, Trophy Taker sights, Carter releases, Goldtip Arrows. CBE sights, Vapor Trail Strings, B Stinger stabilizers

Patriot till Death... monkybrainz's Avatar

great budget, your limitations are endless.....( go PSE! ) lol