You are Unregistered, please register to be able to read posts in all forums and participate in the discussion.
    oldschoolstringpuller

Default 9 year old bow hunter? ??????????

Hello everybody. my son is 9 years old and he shoots a hoyt trikon jr. 30# at about 150fps. keep in mind he is only 9 and he is only 59 pounds. He started shooting 4 months ago at 12 yards and he is pretty good. i let him shoot from a stand 18 feet high. I know that this set up is kinda light. but it is all i can do. does anybody see any reason why he should not bow hunt this year. he his already killed 5 deer in the last 3 seasons with a rifle. should i wait or should i let him fling one?

Quote Originally Posted by rob View Post
    Hello everybody. my son is 9 years old and he shoots a hoyt trikon jr. 30# at about 150fps. keep in mind he is only 9 and he is only 59 pounds. He started shooting 4 months ago at 12 yards and he is pretty good. i let him shoot from a stand 18 feet high. I know that this set up is kinda light. but it is all i can do. does anybody see any reason why he should not bow hunt this year. he his already killed 5 deer in the last 3 seasons with a rifle. should i wait or should i let him fling one?
    Personally I would let him come out in the timber with you but be sure you understand the minimum draw weight for your state to take deer or any other animals. Getting your son out there is awsome but be sure he is using legal equipment. If he cannot draw the legal minimum draw weight then bring him out anyway. It's win-win any way you look at it.

Have a great season and I hope your son get's in there...

Ron
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

Default reply

I don't know nothing about raising children. But physicaly if he's got enough knowledge of a deer to make a perfect shot, enough archery skill, and enough deer-fever pills, let him have at it. You might want to try and weight the arrows for better penetration, as with light draw weight traditional set-ups. Definately use 2 blade fixed heads, and probably small-diameter shafts will help with penetration. Do a penetration test with his usual set up vs an ultra-weighted arrow. Some bows can launch a heavier arrow well, and others slow down so much you get the same penetration. Judge the penetartion against that of your set up and judge if you think it is enough to get a double lunger...if his first archery deer only gets one lung popped and runs for 1 miles, the tracking might take a lot of fun out of bowhunting for him.

oldschoolstringpuller

Default thanks Ron

Thanks Ron. Im from louisiana and the state law is 30#

Thanks Ron. Im from louisiana and the state law is 30#
    Hey, great....

The most important thing now is to teach him ethical hunting. I'm really glad you are getting him out there, that is great to hear.

Good luck you guys this season !

And if you guys get anything, or not, put up some pics so we can see you guys out in the timber.

Ron
    Last edited by Ronhop; 09-16-2008 at 11:46 PM.
    Proud member of the F.B.S.A.

Official turkey baster and member of the FBSA R-100 eating team....

He Who Drops His Bow Arm dbdcougar's Avatar

I like your latest avitar Ron.
    Bear Kodiak Magnum, Easton XX75 Legacy w/Zwicky's, Great Northern Quiver
    Black & Pink package for the Princess: Martin Mystic, Sword Apex, Limb Driver
    FBSA emertus

Huntin Junkie

I would have to say, judge the penitration to your set up. The last thing that you want is a deer running off with an arrow stuck in his side and dying 2 days later. Make sure that what he is shooting will to the job and do it right.

I would also say that at 150 fps, is going to be kinda slow and very little KE. An adult can shoot a .243 and kill deer. A kid can shoot a .243 and kill deer. Different size guns but the same result from the barrel. Bows are not the same.
    Introduce a kid to the outdoors, the American way depends on it

If you can read this, thank a teacher
    If you can read this in english, thank a soldier.

08 82nd Airborne, 29" - 60 lbs - 300 fps
    Octane Hostage Pro
    Octane quiver
    G5 XR .019 sights, Meta peep
    Sims S-coil
    Carbon Force Radial X-weav, Rage 3-blade - 390 grn

06 Tribute, 27.5" - 284 fps

Default Rob

Its great you have your son wanting to hunt. Oklahoma rule is 40lbs. Bowtech makes a few bows that will get you more speed. Wyatt here was fourteen last year and pulling 40lbs with 240 fps second. His arrow blasted through this deer. If the legal limit is 30lbs and you feel 150 fps will penatrate a deer, I say go for it. My buddys son was 10 when he harvested his first deer. I would not allow mine untell he was 12 to bowhunt because he couldnt pull 40 pounds easily. Taking your son will be your favorite hunts for sure but you allready know that

9 year old bow hunter? ?????????? - General Archery Forum

A well placed shot with a Magnus 2 blade will make a clean kill with that setup. Good luck and enjoy!!!! I am in the same boat this weekend with my 10 YO at 30#.
    www.livingstongunclub.org
    www.jimposten.com for the finest stabilizers in the world
    www.meanvarchery.com Custom String Suppression for that shot of a lifetime
    Add some custom bling with a www.slingbraid.com

Default 9 yr. old.

I have a good friend that has a 9 year old son. He just killed his second deer with a 34 lb. Hoyt. He got his first last year at 8 years old. They hunt from a ground blind and limit the yardage. See his picture on our clubs website, wwwcherokeebowhunters.org.

oldschoolstringpuller

I wont to thank everybody for their help. And just for the record i do have a blood dog that i run a tracking service with. he has found 131 deer in 6 seasons. not to brag but if we can get a halfway good shoot i think and hope we will have a pretty good chance. if not for the dog i might have to wait another year or two. Thanks guys i just needed to here a report from someone other than my self i guess.